Old January 2nd 06, 08:32 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Mal Mal is offline

Default New Years Eve - Thank You!

"Robin Mayes" wrote in message

"Steve Fitzgerald" ] wrote in message
In message , Robin Mayes
writes

"RDJUK" wrote in message
roups.com...
I just wanted to post a quick message here to say Thank You to all the
staff who turned up to work on the underground on New Years Eve and
into the early hours of New Years Day.

My pleasure.

Mine too...... fancy meeting you here, Robin ;-)

Hi Steve

[waves]

I think he wants to know so he can say "see...they only did it gor the money
not for us Londoners".

And no one offered me £187!!!

Mal

Old January 2nd 06, 09:03 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Steve Fitzgerald wrote:
In message .com,
" writes

Steve Fitzgerald wrote:
In message .com,
writes
Did you get any extra money for working that shift? If so, how much in
total did you earn?

Sorry, are you talking to anyone in particular?

You and other posters.
I was wondering how much you got paid for that shift that ended at 4am.
The total amount, ordinary pay plus bonuses.

Well it might have helped if you had quoted something to tell us all
what you're on about. Not everybody reads newsgroup messages online and
not everybody has a ready list of all previous messages.

I can see how my first post must have been confusing but my second post
quite clearly beneath the second clearly quotes you, message
Jan 1, 11:02 pm. Can you not see this message?
Or, have you missed it?

As far as your question goes, that's already been answered by others.
I'm interested as to why you feel the need to know this information
though.

It has not been answered: the question was about specifc details. My
original question was to you, about your shift that finished at 4am.
However, it does appear that you and your colleagues are very sensitive
to the issue and I do apologise for upsetting you. I did not know at
the time that it was such a sensitive topic for you and everyone on the
"tube". I have approached many professions and they were more than
willing to assist me.

Once again, I do apologise for upsetting you.

Old January 2nd 06, 09:10 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"RDJUK" wrote in message
roups.com...
I just wanted to post a quick message here to say Thank You to all the
staff who turned up to work on the underground on New Years Eve and
into the early hours of New Years Day.

My pleasure.

Mine too...... fancy meeting you here, Robin ;-)

Hi Steve

[waves]

I think he wants to know so he can say "see...they only did it gor the money
not for us Londoners".

And no one offered me £187!!!

Mal

"gor the money" does lead to images of currency being tortured

If you meant "for the money", not at all. After all, can't that
criticism be levelled at everyone.

Old January 2nd 06, 09:17 PM posted to uk.transport.london

" wrote in message
oups.com...

Brimstone wrote:
wrote:
Brimstone wrote:
wrote:
Steve Fitzgerald wrote:
In message .com,
writes
Did you get any extra money for working that shift? If so, how
much in total did you earn?

Sorry, are you talking to anyone in particular?

You and other posters.
I was wondering how much you got paid for that shift that ended at
4am. The total amount, ordinary pay plus bonuses.

Why do you want to know?

The truth, I guess.

OK, but how will the knowledge benefit you?

Interesting point. Knowledge must have a benefit before it is sought.
That would pretty much rule out a lot of pure scientific research. I
remember a lecturer from 30 years ago who answered that same question
with knowledge is an end unto itself. If you start assigning
costs/benefits to knowledge, it becomes reductive.

Though, I wouldn't equate the knowledge of the recent research
supporting evolution to that of a train driver's salary, it does help
people compare and contrast various professions and how our society
does reward them. Which clearly draws out the values that a society
lives by.

If your question had been simply about how much an LU train drivers earns
per year I could have understood it. It was the level of detail regarding
payment for a single shift that I couldn't work out.

Old January 2nd 06, 09:44 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Brimstone wrote:
" wrote in message
oups.com...

snipped

OK, but how will the knowledge benefit you?

Interesting point. Knowledge must have a benefit before it is sought.
That would pretty much rule out a lot of pure scientific research. I
remember a lecturer from 30 years ago who answered that same question
with knowledge is an end unto itself. If you start assigning
costs/benefits to knowledge, it becomes reductive.

Though, I wouldn't equate the knowledge of the recent research
supporting evolution to that of a train driver's salary, it does help
people compare and contrast various professions and how our society
does reward them. Which clearly draws out the values that a society
lives by.

If your question had been simply about how much an LU train drivers earns
per year I could have understood it. It was the level of detail regarding
payment for a single shift that I couldn't work out.

But, you see that's the whole point! New Years Eve is a single event,
momentous for so many people, in the past and present. It signifies so
much.

Anyway, I've devoted enough time to this topic and it appears to be an
extremely sensitive topic for all "tube" staff, for "Steve Fitzgerald",
etc.

Old January 2nd 06, 10:39 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Mal Mal is offline

" wrote in message
oups.com...

"RDJUK" wrote in message
roups.com...
I just wanted to post a quick message here to say Thank You to all
the
staff who turned up to work on the underground on New Years Eve and
into the early hours of New Years Day.

My pleasure.

Mine too...... fancy meeting you here, Robin ;-)

Hi Steve

[waves]

I think he wants to know so he can say "see...they only did it gor the
money
not for us Londoners".

And no one offered me £187!!!

Mal

"gor the money" does lead to images of currency being tortured

If you meant "for the money", not at all. After all, can't that
criticism be levelled at everyone.

No...thats gore. With an e on the end.
I certainly did mean for....i will try harder ni future. Ooooops..there it
goes again.

As for the payment earned, i suspect its not a reluctance to say, its just
they probably dont know exactly what they will get until it arrives in Feb.
And possibly much later going on last years payments for working that time.
Its all very complicated. I'll look in the morning.....
I for 1 didnt know there was extra payments...if its a rostered shift you
just turn up and do it.....no extar money for working public holidays...no
extra day off for working public holidays. All in the salary.
Incidentally....did you know that the Govt figures show the average worker
gets 25 days off a year plus the 8 public holidays. Thats 33 days a year.
Tube staff get 37. So its must be the extra 4 for the shift allowances.

And these guys aren't upset....you want to see upset, go ask a ticket tout
to leave a station.....Thats upset.....

Mal
(did you see i did another word wrong...just for you).

Old January 2nd 06, 11:28 PM posted to uk.transport.london

" wrote in message
oups.com...

Steve Fitzgerald wrote:

In message , Robin Mayes
writes

"RDJUK" wrote in message
roups.com...
I just wanted to post a quick message here to say Thank You to all

the
staff who turned up to work on the underground on New Years Eve and
into the early hours of New Years Day.

My pleasure.

Mine too...... fancy meeting you here, Robin ;-)

Did you get any extra money for working that shift? If so, how much in
total, ordinary pay plus bonuses, did you earn?

With respect, what business is it of yours ? I don't suppose you would want
to be questioned about your earnings and I'm surprised that you expect
anybody to supply you with such information.
Baz
(retired and never employed by TfL or any other transport company)

Old January 3rd 06, 12:27 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Yes I agree, why has this thread that I started purely to say thanks to
the drivers turned into a thread about wages! Its no business of
anyone's what drivers get paid and/or what anyone gets paid.

If they did get paid a bonus - good on them, if they didn't they again
good on them ! Lets just be grateful that they did DO the work and got
us all home safely...and leave their paypackets to them.