Old March 13th 06, 08:06 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Gatwick Express?

I'm planning on using the Gatwick Express soon and have in my possession a
BR staff safeguarded travel pass. I have asked various persons whether I can
use my pass or even buy a PT but have had conflicting answers. The Gatwick
Express helpline which I think is answered in Asia says I can't use my pass
or get a PT. An email to Gatwick Express says I can get a PT and a
phonecall/email to my companies HR says I'm entitled to free travel as long
as I mark one of boxes.

Any knowledgeable types here that can confirm any of the above or have a
different viewpoint altogether?

--
!Speedy Gonzales!

Remove the SPAMTRAP to reply

Old March 13th 06, 08:38 PM posted to uk.transport.london

!Speedy Gonzales! wrote:
I'm planning on using the Gatwick Express soon and have in my possession a
BR staff safeguarded travel pass. I have asked various persons whether I can
use my pass or even buy a PT but have had conflicting answers. The Gatwick
Express helpline which I think is answered in Asia says I can't use my pass
or get a PT. An email to Gatwick Express says I can get a PT and a
phonecall/email to my companies HR says I'm entitled to free travel as long
as I mark one of boxes.

Any knowledgeable types here that can confirm any of the above or have a
different viewpoint altogether?

http://www.atoc.org/rst/Staff_Travel_Restrictions.asp for restrictions.

As no restrictions are listed, and as Gatwick Express is a franchised
(not open access) operator, normal priv conditions surely must apply.

Where are you travelling from? If travelling from beyond London, you
can get a PRIV ticket to Gatwick from any station. Providing the ticket
is routed "Any Permitted" (ie, not something like "Southern only") you
can, of course use it on Gatwick Express.

There is no reason why you can't, for example, get a London-Brighton
ticket and use it on the Gatwick Express and change at Gatwick.

Old March 13th 06, 09:38 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Yorkie" wrote in message
Where are you travelling from?

Thanks for the quick reply!
I'm travelling from Gatwick to Victoria then back again a few days later so
I'll go for a priv ticket. I had a quick look at the 'travel facilities
guides' on the ATOC site (incidentally, many thanks) and it doesn't mention
anything about the Gatwick Express although the Heathrow Express does get a
mention. I take it they are run by the same TOC?
Ideally I'd like to use one of my boxes but a PT is better than nothing!

Old March 13th 06, 09:39 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , !Speedy
Gonzales! writes
I'm planning on using the Gatwick Express soon and have in my possession a
BR staff safeguarded travel pass. I have asked various persons whether I can
use my pass or even buy a PT but have had conflicting answers. The Gatwick
Express helpline which I think is answered in Asia says I can't use my pass
or get a PT. An email to Gatwick Express says I can get a PT and a
phonecall/email to my companies HR says I'm entitled to free travel as long
as I mark one of boxes.

Any knowledgeable types here that can confirm any of the above or have a
different viewpoint altogether?

I've used priv tickets before, I might also have used a box too, but not
sure. No problems were encountered, even though I had bought my ticket
several weeks prior to my trip, from the Conductor of the train I was
working.

HTH,
--
Kenny
Old March 13th 06, 10:38 PM posted to uk.transport.london

!Speedy Gonzales! wrote:
"Yorkie" wrote in message
Where are you travelling from?

Thanks for the quick reply!
I'm travelling from Gatwick to Victoria then back again a few days
later so I'll go for a priv ticket. I had a quick look at the
'travel facilities guides' on the ATOC site (incidentally, many
thanks) and it doesn't mention anything about the Gatwick Express
although the Heathrow Express does get a mention. I take it they
are run by the same TOC?

No, though the companies that run them (and Stansted Express too) do
some common marketing under the Airport Express name which might give
you that impression. Gatwick Express and Stansted Express (the latter
being part of 'One') are both owned by National Express. Heathrow
Express is owned by BAA. HEx gets a mention in the travel facilities
guide under "Travel Facilities on other UK undertakings" as it is not a
National Rail TOC.

--
Richard J.

Old March 13th 06, 11:06 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Mon, 13 Mar 2006 22:38:25 GMT, "!Speedy Gonzales!"
wrote:

I'm travelling from Gatwick to Victoria then back again a few days later so
I'll go for a priv ticket. I had a quick look at the 'travel facilities
guides' on the ATOC site (incidentally, many thanks) and it doesn't mention
anything about the Gatwick Express although the Heathrow Express does get a
mention. I take it they are run by the same TOC?
Ideally I'd like to use one of my boxes but a PT is better than nothing!

Gatwick Express is run by National Express and is a normal TOC.
Heathrow Express is run by BAA. It owns part of its own line into
Heathrow IIRC.
--
Terry Harper
Website Coordinator, The Omnibus Society
Old March 14th 06, 08:16 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Thanks for the quick reply!
I'm travelling from Gatwick to Victoria then back again a few days later
so I'll go for a priv ticket. I had a quick look at the 'travel facilities
guides' on the ATOC site (incidentally, many thanks) and it doesn't
mention anything about the Gatwick Express although the Heathrow Express
does get a mention. I take it they are run by the same TOC?
Ideally I'd like to use one of my boxes but a PT is better than nothing!

--

The key word is 'safeguarded'.
Anyone who worked for BR, or was entitled to BR privilege travel facilities

Gatwick Express used to be part of BR, and so all BR privilege travel
facilities are valid
(I can confirm this, as I have used them).
Heathrow Express is a new operation which started after privatisation and
was never part of BR,
therefore safeguarded travel privileges are not vaild.

--
Peter

Old March 14th 06, 11:37 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Not quite...Reading the Travel Facilities Guide suggests that *boxes*
and Status Passes aren't valid, but both Safeguarded and TOCNE Staff can
obtain PRIV tickets from the HEx Ticket Offices at Paddington and
Heathrow.

Yes, I remember reading something about that, now you mention it,
but I have never tried to use it.

--
Peter