Old June 13th 06, 07:44 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default London Underground route finder for your journey with Google Maps

ezusbo wrote:

That is an awesome suggestion, and to implement it will require
knowledge of the station layouts too. I am not sure if this stuff is
available on the web though, not to mention the challenge in
programming that algorithm into the web page.

You could use Roger Collings' "Way Out Tube Map" (printed, at
bookstores) for reference, which actually gives the ordinal number of
the carriage next to the exit or interchange for each station. But I
doubt that would be fair use of the map data unless you asked the
publisher or checked for yourself throughout the network.

According to the map, taking the 2nd carriage on southbound Victoria
line trains is even closer to the exit at Euston ...

Regards,
Johannes

Old June 13th 06, 07:57 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , Paul Llanberis
writes
I tried a trip on the program from Waterloo to Shoreditch and it gave a
route beautifully. It shows you'll have to keep up the editing too! I'm
glad I finally visited Shoreditch on the day it closed - what an
atmospheric place.

I was able to call in at the end of a busy day, too. (I'd only ever
used the station once before.)

There was a lovely relaxed atmosphere there, with photographers
good-humouredly exchanging words with staff and a slight party
atmosphere. It was like some of the nicer aspects of the Routemaster
farewell days without the slightly frenetic feeling that went with some
of them!

--
Ian Jelf, MITG
Birmingham, UK

http://www.bluebadge.demon.co.uk
Old June 14th 06, 09:28 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Ian Jelf wrote:

In message , Paul Llanberis
writes
I tried a trip on the program from Waterloo to Shoreditch and it gave a
route beautifully. It shows you'll have to keep up the editing too! I'm
glad I finally visited Shoreditch on the day it closed - what an
atmospheric place.

I was able to call in at the end of a busy day, too. (I'd only ever
used the station once before.)

There was a lovely relaxed atmosphere there, with photographers
good-humouredly exchanging words with staff and a slight party
atmosphere. It was like some of the nicer aspects of the Routemaster
farewell days without the slightly frenetic feeling that went with some
of them!

--
Ian Jelf, MITG
Birmingham, UK

http://www.bluebadge.demon.co.uk

Shoreditch closed ? I just had it reliably from this guy sitting
opposite me who lives in Shoreditch that they are only closing the rail
one, the underground version is being built which will be on the East
London line. So if I wait long enough, my route finder will be relevant
again :-)

David

Old June 14th 06, 10:29 AM posted to uk.transport.london

ezusbo wrote:
Hi all

I have developed a facility which allows you to find out the best
routes between two London Underground stations, try searching for it at
http://public.ok2life.com/tube/routes. The routes found are colour
coded to indicate line changes and National Rail stations where
available. There is also integrated Google Maps to show you the
surrounding area of each station along the paths found.

Let me know if you have any suggestion/comment for improvement.

An interesting idea. I tried Warren Street to Euston Square . The
fastest route between these two is on foot, but the planner suggested
three routes - one from WS to KCSP (Victoria line) then Circle to
Euston Sq. That one is vaguely sensible.

The others routes were Warren Street to Victoria, then clockwise on the
circle to ES, or northern line to Embankment, then clockwise to ES.
Can I assume that where a journey can be done with only one change it
will go for that even if it is much longer than a journey involving two
or more changes?

Simon

Old June 14th 06, 10:50 AM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote:

ezusbo wrote:
[...]

Hi Simon

This is correct. The route finder is optimised for the least number of
stops. It makes the assumption that we do not like changing, as it
involves walking between platforms. Sometimes this gives you the
optimal route, sometimes it does not. This is why I offer you the top
three routes to choose from. However, the system at the moment does not
have the knowledge about the short walk between Warren Street and
Euston Square, or Lancaster Gate to Paddington, or Wimbledon to South
Wimbledon etc.

I am working on it ... :-)

David

Old June 14th 06, 10:55 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Paul Weaver wrote:

wrote:
An interesting idea. I tried Warren Street to Euston Square . The
fastest route between these two is on foot, but the planner suggested
three routes - one from WS to KCSP (Victoria line) then Circle to
Euston Sq. That one is vaguely sensible.

Whit City to Hammersmith, correct route is walk all the way, or the 72
or 220 bus, but aside from that, you can walk to shepherds bush H&C,
then 2 stops, or avoiding walking at all, go via Ealing or Notting Hill
(cheaper via ealing, x-platform at acton town if theres a picc.
waiting)

The routes given were firstly backwards (Hammersmith at the top). First
one was via Ealing, great. Second one via Holborn, and the third was
via H&C to Liverpool Street!

It can support 3 lines though, Amersham to New Cross for example.

Be nice if it included instructions of where to stand, connection
times, limited services, and take all that into aco**** when
route-finding

Taken on board, will try to improve it for the future, but it will take
me a bit of time to catch up with TFL :-o

In order to incorporate Rail, buses, walks and exit locations, I need
information on how to source them from the public domain, as I can not
afford the royalty for something I am offering for free. Does anyone
know where I can get them from ?

David

Old June 14th 06, 12:27 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"ezusbo" wrote in message

In order to incorporate Rail, buses, walks and exit locations, I need
information on how to source them from the public domain, as I can not
afford the royalty for something I am offering for free. Does anyone
know where I can get them from ?

Why not have a place on the web site where visitors can voluntarily fill
in the gaps on this sort of thing, or at least have the ability to provide
messages like "XXX is not the best place to change between AAA and BBB;
use ZZZ instead, as the former has platform predictability problems".
If you get enough people corroborating those things, you can use them
to optimise the way your engine finds "appropriate" routes.

Richard [in SG19]

Old June 14th 06, 01:08 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Richard M Willis wrote:

"ezusbo" wrote in message

In order to incorporate Rail, buses, walks and exit locations, I need
information on how to source them from the public domain, as I can not
afford the royalty for something I am offering for free. Does anyone
know where I can get them from ?

Why not have a place on the web site where visitors can voluntarily fill
in the gaps on this sort of thing, or at least have the ability to provide
messages like "XXX is not the best place to change between AAA and BBB;
use ZZZ instead, as the former has platform predictability problems".
If you get enough people corroborating those things, you can use them
to optimise the way your engine finds "appropriate" routes.

Richard [in SG19]

OK, another fantastic idea. Give me a couple of days and I will at
least add the "shorter to walk" alternatives and the "Have your say"
forums for each route.

David