Old June 14th 06, 02:14 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default London Underground route finder for your journey with Google Maps

ezusbo wrote:
Paul Weaver wrote:
In order to incorporate Rail, buses, walks and exit locations, I need
information on how to source them from the public domain, as I can not
afford the royalty for something I am offering for free. Does anyone
know where I can get them from ?

If you can come up with an storage format, something like below, you
could get people to fill it in gradually, and have people collaberate
it. Basically for every station have a list of lines with directions
(i.e. 6 entries for Oxford Circus), and exits (numbers, destinations
etc) and how they connect to every other line and exit.

STATION: Charing Cross
FROM: Bakerloo Line South
TO: Charing Cross Station Exit
EXIT: First carriage
TIME: 2 min

STATION: Charing Cross
FROM: Bakerloo Line South
TO: Trafalger Squate Station Exit
EXIT: First carriage
TIME: 2 min

STATION: Oxford Circus
FROM: Central Line East
TO: Bakerloo Line South
EXIT: Last carriage
TIME: 2 min

STATION: Oxford Circus
FROM: Central Line East
TO: Bakerloo Line North
EXIT: Last carriage
TIME: 3 min

STATION: Oxford Circus
FROM: Central Line East
TO: Victoria Line South
EXIT: Last carriage
TIME: 2 min

STATION: Oxford Circus
FROM: Central Line East
TO: Victoria Line North
EXIT: Last carriage
TIME: 3 min

STATION: Oxford Circus
FROM: Bakerloo Line North
TO: Central Line East
EXIT: 3rd carriage from end
TIME: 2 min

STATION: Oxford Circus
FROM: Bakerloo Line North
TO: Central Line West
EXIT: 3rd carriage from end
TIME: 2 min

STATION: Oxford Circus
FROM: Bakerloo Line North
TO: Victoria Line North
EXIT: Cross platform

Old June 14th 06, 04:00 PM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote:
On 13 Jun 2006 08:20:56 -0700, ezusbo wrote:

wrote:

On Tue, 13 Jun 2006 10:08:12 +0100, Martin Underwood wrote:

ezusbo wrote in message
.com:

Hi all

I have developed a facility which allows you to find out the best
routes between two London Underground stations, try searching for it
at
http://public.ok2life.com/tube/routes.
I don't find the integrated map working using Firefox.

Hi

I tested this using Firefox, so it should work better than IE, in fact.
With IE, I could not get the overlays to work properly, whereas they
show up correctly in Firefox. I use version 1.5, which version do you
have and what problem do you encounter ?

That's odd, David.
When using Firefox 1.5.0.4 I get a pop-up with geometric designs and
mainly blank squares.

This is very odd, can you access
http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?ll=51.518811,-0.082119 ? (it should bring
up Liverpool Street Station).

I am simply passing the map rendering bit to Google, and this has been
known to work pretty well on most browsers. Does anyone else using this
site have this problem on Firefox too ?

David

Old June 14th 06, 07:10 PM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote:
On 14 Jun 2006 09:00:34 -0700, David Tran wrote:

I have developed a facility which allows you to find out the best
routes between two London Underground stations, try searching for it
at
http://public.ok2life.com/tube/routes.

I don't find the integrated map working using Firefox.

Hi

I tested this using Firefox, so it should work better than IE, in fact.
With IE, I could not get the overlays to work properly, whereas they
show up correctly in Firefox. I use version 1.5, which version do you
have and what problem do you encounter ?

That's odd, David.
When using Firefox 1.5.0.4 I get a pop-up with geometric designs and
mainly blank squares.

This is very odd, can you access
http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?ll=51.518811,-0.082119 ? (it should bring
up Liverpool Street Station).

It doesn't do so for me :-( - even whitelisting the whole site.

Hi Hum

Does it work under IE ? If not, then maybe it is your firewall settings,
otherwise, I am not sure. As I indicated, I tested this under Firefox,
and Paul said in his reply that it works under his Firefox too.

Trouble with Google Maps is it uses AJAX technology, and the page source
is not accessible to even investigate the problem :-(

David
Old June 14th 06, 10:24 PM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote:
ezusbo wrote:

Hi all

I have developed a facility which allows you to find out the best
routes between two London Underground stations, try searching for it at
http://public.ok2life.com/tube/routes. The routes found are colour
coded to indicate line changes and National Rail stations where
available. There is also integrated Google Maps to show you the
surrounding area of each station along the paths found.

Let me know if you have any suggestion/comment for improvement.

An interesting idea. I tried Warren Street to Euston Square . The
fastest route between these two is on foot, but the planner suggested
three routes - one from WS to KCSP (Victoria line) then Circle to
Euston Sq. That one is vaguely sensible.

The others routes were Warren Street to Victoria, then clockwise on the
circle to ES, or northern line to Embankment, then clockwise to ES.
Can I assume that where a journey can be done with only one change it
will go for that even if it is much longer than a journey involving two
or more changes?

Simon

I have added the followings "on foot" paths:

Warren Street to Euston Square
Lancaster Gate to Paddington
Bank to Monument

Hope you all like walking :-)

Any other walking shortcuts you know ? Please let me know.

David

Old June 14th 06, 10:26 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Martin Underwood wrote:
ezusbo wrote in message
:

Hi all

I have developed a facility which allows you to find out the best
routes between two London Underground stations, try searching for it
at
http://public.ok2life.com/tube/routes. The routes found are colour
coded to indicate line changes and National Rail stations where
available. There is also integrated Google Maps to show you the
surrounding area of each station along the paths found.

Let me know if you have any suggestion/comment for improvement.

Looks good. Maybe you should make it clearer which is the station at which
you have to change, by doing one or other of the following:

- display the change station in the colours of both lines (left hand side of
box in old colour; right hand side in new colour)

- repeat the station name: one box in the colour of the old line and then
the same name in a box below in the colour of the new line

The first suggestion is probably the better one.

I have sort of implemented the second suggestion, as it is easier to do
programatically. Let me know what you think.

David
Old June 15th 06, 07:34 AM posted to uk.transport.london

http://rodcorp.typepad.com/rodcorp/2..._tube_map.html
--
Michael Hoffman
Old June 15th 06, 05:26 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Tim Tim is offline

ezusbo wrote:

Let me know if you have any suggestion/comment for improvement.

If you choose edgware road circle to pimlico, it doesn't suggest walking
to edgware road bakerloo.

And Bayswater to Queensway doesn't suggest walking

I like the station name completion.

Tim
Old June 16th 06, 10:36 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Tim wrote:

ezusbo wrote:

Let me know if you have any suggestion/comment for improvement.

If you choose edgware road circle to pimlico, it doesn't suggest walking
to edgware road bakerloo.

And Bayswater to Queensway doesn't suggest walking

I like the station name completion.

Tim

I have added walk paths for some, but walking is not always a preferred
option for all. Maybe the next version I will add support for opting in
or out of walking. Also, a lot of stations around Liverpool Street
station are within walking distance of each other anyway :-)

David

Old June 16th 06, 11:03 AM posted to uk.transport.london

"David Tran" wrote in message

I have added walk paths for some, but walking is not always a preferred
option for all. Maybe the next version I will add support for opting in
or out of walking. Also, a lot of stations around Liverpool Street
station are within walking distance of each other anyway :-)

Why isn't "walking" "a preferred option for all" ?

On the examples quoted at least, the walks underground to change
lines are going to be at least as long as the surface walks to
an alternative station.

Richard [in SG19]