Old September 10th 06, 10:24 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default 2 jailed for railway graffiti

Stimpy typed

On 2/9/06 20:46, " wrote:

Today's Daily Telegraph runs a glossy 3-page piece spread glamourising
so-called "graffers" and their work.

Graffiti artist Banksy lives and often works in this part of Bristol and has
become a much-respected member of the local community.

For those of you unfamiliar with his work, take a look at
http://www.banksy.co.uk/menu.html

Yebbut Banksy's work is witty, technically excellent and aesthetically
pleasing. Most graffiti is not.

--
Helen D. Vecht:
Edgware.

Old September 10th 06, 05:47 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london,misc.transport.urban-transit

Pyromancer wrote:
It seems that most of the users spit it out, if the streets and
pavements are any guide. If something can't be used without endangering
public health, it shouldn't be used at all.

I'd have to disagree there. If most people did, the streets would be
far, far, far worse. It's like saying most kids are anti-social. Can
you imagine if that were true? It would be anarchy. Of course, far too
many are but it's certainly not the majority. Not yet, but society is
working on it...!

I chew gum rarely, partly for the reason that I hate having to try and
find somewhere to throw it. I would NEVER spit it out, so wait for a
bin or find a bit of paper so I can put it my pocket. I agree that it's
filthy to spit out (and annoying if you step in it). I prefer the
dissolvable strips to freshen my mouth/breath and not linger on
(there's nothing worse than tasteless gum, which is usually about a
minute after you start chewing it).

If you want an example of where 'most' people do something, take a look
at people who smoke. Look to see if any don't throw the cigarette on
the floor. That's probably not most but ALL.

Jonathan

Old September 10th 06, 07:13 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london,misc.transport.urban-transit

"jonmorris" typed

Pyromancer wrote:
[...]

AIUI Westminster Council spends £9 MILLION per year on chewing gum
removal. I don't know what proportion of gum purchased ends up on the
street. It might only be 10% but it IS a significant problem. Fag ends
are horrible and a fire risk too but are much easier to clear away.

Adults certainly do spit gum round here but we won't discuss their
ethnicity...

--
Helen D. Vecht:
Edgware.
Old September 13th 06, 11:45 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london,misc.transport.urban-transit

[ response for the benefit of anyone else reading the thread ]

Upon the miasma of midnight, a darkling spirit identified as Tim Fenton
gently breathed:
"Pyromancer" wrote in message
roups.com...

When we
execute a serial rapist

We don't execute.

That's the problem. We let them out to re-offend, again and again, and
each time some other innocent victim's life is ruined, often forever.

What you suggest - andI have to assume that this isn't a troll - is much
worse. Fortunately, not even Rupert Murdoch can persuade any UK
government
down the road you so ludicrously propose.

What's so "ludicrous" about it? Less people in prison, a more
realistic and productive approach to fine defaulters, permanent removal
of the most extreme and violent from society only after they have
comitted several extreme offences, and punishments for lesser offences
that will be regarded by the majority of the population as more fitting
the crimes. You clearly don't like the idea, but you've not put
forward any coherent reasons for not liking it.

Brutalising society. Lowering ourselves to the level of the criminal. Above
all, not solving the underlying problems - which is by far the worst aspect.

The underlying problem is that a proportion of the human race is
naturally evil. Most people aren't, but some are, and it's not
something that can be identified, or screened for, or prevented. It's
not affected by race, or gender, or sexuality, or parenting, or
genetics, or anything like that. There simply are people who in their
own minds don't think there's anything wrong with maiming, raping or
killing, taking what they want by force, ruling all around themselves by
fear.

As long as that remains the case, there will continue to be crime,
sometimes horrific crime.

In the meantime, as I have better things to do with my time, you can join
the august band in my killfile.

The last retort of the playground politician

Who's sinking to insults? Who's changing his email address in a desperate
attempt to carry on his lame tirade?

Ever heard of using different accounts at work and at home? Google
doesn't give you a choice, once you sign up for a Gmail account, that is
your address for posting from Google.

So much
for debate.

Indeed - your amended email address has also gone in the killfile. Plenty of
room there yet.

I must admit I'm really rather touched by this. I do believe that in
eleven years of posting to Usenet this is possibly the first time I've
ever been killfiled (certainly on uk.r) - and for what offence? Not
trolling, not crossposting garbage to 20 groups, not spamming, not any
of the 101 other things trolls and their kind do, but rather for calling
for an alternative approach to criminal justice which actually punishes
wrongdoing.

Weird!

--
- DJ Pyromancer, The Sunday Goth Social, Leeds. http://www.sheepish.net

Broadband, Dialup, Domains = http://www.wytches.net = The UK's Pagan ISP!
http://www.inkubus-sukkubus.co.uk http://www.revival.stormshadow.com
Old September 13th 06, 11:47 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london,misc.transport.urban-transit

Upon the miasma of midnight, a darkling spirit identified as jonmorris
gently breathed:

If you want an example of where 'most' people do something, take a look
at people who smoke. Look to see if any don't throw the cigarette on
the floor. That's probably not most but ALL.

Agreed. It's amazing how people who are fastidious about all other
forms of litter will throw cigarette ends just about anywhere, including
out in the countryside.

Old September 13th 06, 11:49 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london,misc.transport.urban-transit

Upon the miasma of midnight, a darkling spirit identified as Ross
gently breathed:

In any case, with the sort of anti-social hardcases you're thinking
of, the scars from the physical punishment would merely be worn as a
badge of honour. Not quite the effect you intend, methinks.

In some cases, yes. But there are plenty of "followers-on" who
currently do nasty stuff because they want to look like hardcases, who
might rethink if they thought they'd really be punished for it.

Agree that it's the catching that matters most though.

Old September 14th 06, 11:43 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london,misc.transport.urban-transit

In uk.railway Pyromancer twisted the electrons to say:
Upon the miasma of midnight, a darkling spirit identified as Tim Fenton
We don't execute.

That's the problem. We let them out to re-offend, again and again, and
each time some other innocent victim's life is ruined, often forever.

You don't need the death penalty in order to prevent reoffending. You
just need a society that is prepared to lock people up such that they
either come out of prison in a box or not at all ...
Old September 14th 06, 12:54 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london,misc.transport.urban-transit

Alistair Gunn wrote
In uk.railway Pyromancer twisted the electrons to say:
Upon the miasma of midnight, a darkling spirit identified as Tim Fenton
We don't execute.

That's the problem. We let them out to re-offend, again and again, and
each time some other innocent victim's life is ruined, often forever.

You don't need the death penalty in order to prevent reoffending. You
just need a society that is prepared to lock people up such that they
either come out of prison in a box or not at all ...

I noted that the case of a prisoner who was given 30 years
for the murder of 3 police men reared its head on the BBC website
yesterday.
The event happened in 1966 he is still in prison and a review is
supposed
to have taken place some time back but not completed - secret reports
about the person are on file.
His legal eagles argue from a human violation of whatever stand.
--
dave hill
Old September 14th 06, 08:49 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london,misc.transport.urban-transit

On Thu, 14 Sep 2006 00:49:24 +0100, Pyromancer wrote in
, seen in uk.railway:
Upon the miasma of midnight, a darkling spirit identified as Ross
gently breathed:

In any case, with the sort of anti-social hardcases you're thinking
of, the scars from the physical punishment would merely be worn as a
badge of honour. Not quite the effect you intend, methinks.

In some cases, yes.

For the hardcases, it's not a case of "in some cases". It *will*
become a badge of honour, and quite possibly a requirement should an
apprentice-hardcase wish to be seen seriously.

But there are plenty of "followers-on" who
currently do nasty stuff because they want to look like hardcases, who
might rethink if they thought they'd really be punished for it.

I doubt it very much.
--
Ross, in Lincoln, most likely being cynical or sarcastic, as ever.
Reply-to will bounce. Replace the junk-trap with my name to e-mail me.

Demonstration of poor photography: http://www.rosspix.me.uk
AD: http://www.merciacharters.co.uk for European charters occasionally gripped by me
Old September 15th 06, 12:30 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london,misc.transport.urban-transit

Upon the miasma of midnight, a darkling spirit identified as Ross
gently breathed:
On Thu, 14 Sep 2006 00:49:24 +0100, Pyromancer wrote in
, seen in uk.railway:
Upon the miasma of midnight, a darkling spirit identified as Ross
gently breathed:

In any case, with the sort of anti-social hardcases you're thinking
of, the scars from the physical punishment would merely be worn as a
badge of honour. Not quite the effect you intend, methinks.

In some cases, yes.

For the hardcases, it's not a case of "in some cases". It *will*
become a badge of honour, and quite possibly a requirement should an
apprentice-hardcase wish to be seen seriously.

Perhaps you're right - I do not understand hardcase mentality at all. To
me, if something hurts, you stop doing it. But I gather some of these
people don't seem to feel pain the same way normal people do.

But there are plenty of "followers-on" who
currently do nasty stuff because they want to look like hardcases, who
might rethink if they thought they'd really be punished for it.

I doubt it very much.

Well, unless the resource is put in to catch them in the first place, it
matters not whether the penalty is a slap on the wrist or decapitation,
penalties only deter those who believe they might get caught (ISTR you
saying something close to that several years ago!).