Old December 31st 06, 11:49 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Brick Lane

On Sat, 30 Dec 2006, Tristán White wrote:

Not sure about Paddington one - I think it's possible to get from one to
the other without going to street level isn't it? but you have to walk
past some NR platforms or something.... been a while since I went down
there.

There's no behind-the-barriers interchange. You have to go through the
mainline station.

I have been told that it's also possible to get from the H&C platforms to
the concourse without going through any barriers at all, but that's
another story ...

tom

PS ISTR that the technical term for what i'm called 'behind-the-barriers'
interchange is 'fare-paid' - is that right, or is my mind going?

--
Don't ask me man, i didn't do it.
Old December 31st 06, 12:19 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Tom Anderson wrote:

PS ISTR that the technical term for what i'm called
'behind-the-barriers' interchange is 'fare-paid' - is that right, or is
my mind going?

In NYC we speak of that area as being inside fare control. I don't know
if that term is also used in London.
--
David of Broadway
New York, NY, USA
Old December 31st 06, 12:21 PM posted to uk.transport.london

David Biddulph wrote:
"David of Broadway" wrote in message
Paul Terry wrote:

A physical link, such as an underground passageway, would have been
possible during the many occasions when Hammersmith Broadway has been
rebuilt over the years. I suspect that it never happened because the
number of passengers requiring such an interchange is very small indeed.

If there was never an underground passageway, then what "Subway to
District and Piccadilly lines" is this (former) sign referring to?

http://greenberger.no-ip.com/gallery...geViewsIndex=1

It could have been referring to one of the subways under the road?

What do you mean by "one of the subways under the road" if not "an
underground passageway"?
--
David of Broadway
New York, NY, USA
Old December 31st 06, 01:11 PM posted to uk.transport.london

David of Broadway wrote:
Paul Terry wrote:

A physical link, such as an underground passageway, would have been
possible during the many occasions when Hammersmith Broadway has been
rebuilt over the years. I suspect that it never happened because the
number of passengers requiring such an interchange is very small
indeed.

If there was never an underground passageway, then what "Subway to
District and Piccadilly lines" is this (former) sign referring to?

http://greenberger.no-ip.com/gallery...geViewsIndex=1

A public subway, not behind the ticket lines.

Old December 31st 06, 01:13 PM posted to uk.transport.london

There was such a subway run by Hammersmith Council which as well as
linking the D&P and Met stations also housed two public conveniences.
Both straircase entrances were on the pavement and thus did not provide
a rain-free route between the two sites. I think it got a bit
disreputable in the evenings and was prone to flooding on occasions. I
guess it was felt safer to replace it by pedestrian crossings at street
level after the Hammersmith shopping centre scheme was completed.

Old December 31st 06, 01:15 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Sun, 31 Dec 2006 12:31:15 +0000, Edward Cowling London UK
wrote:

In message 5, Tristán
White writes
What do you think of the petition by Brick Lane residents and shop and
restaurant owners to get Aldgate East renamed "Brick Lane" to boost the
area. Having lost Shoreditch station, they're getting a bit of a rum deal
at the moment.

Do they have much of a hope?

I'd have said Aldgate East being right on top of Brick Lane should be
the one renamed (if any).

Well they did rename Gillespie Road to please a load of footy fans,

Paid for, IIRC, by Arsenal Football Club.

so I reckon renaming Aldgate East to Brick Lane is ok,

Well, if the businesses petitioning want to pay the costs involved...
Old December 31st 06, 01:22 PM posted to uk.transport.london

James Farrar wrote:
On Sun, 31 Dec 2006 12:40:38 +0000, Tom Anderson
wrote:

On Sat, 30 Dec 2006, John Rowland wrote:

Mizter T wrote:
John Rowland wrote:

Aldgate East station is in Whitechapel High Street. It should
probably be called Whitechapel, and Whitechapel should be called
something else!

Aldgate East is in the vicinity of
Aldgate, so I don't really buy that argument.

No, it's in the vicinity of Whitechapel, as evidenced by the fact
that it's on Whitechapel High Street.

Don't people now refer to the area around Whitechapel tube as
Whitechapel, though?

Yup, IME.

See, frex:
http://www.bartsandthelondon.org.uk/...to_find_us.asp

"Directions and site maps are available for The Royal London Hospital
in Whitechapel".

I don't think anyone is disputing that Whitechapel Station and the RL
Hospital are in Whitechapel. But Aldgate East is (as I may have already
mentioned) in Whitechapel High Street, and if you're going to have a station
called Whitechapel, Aldgate East should be the one.

Actually, rename Whitechapel to Whitechapel Hospital, and rename the
hospital to that as well. Then after 10 years or so you could rename Aldgate
East to Whitechapel, or Whitechapel High Street.

Old December 31st 06, 01:50 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Paul Terry wrote:

A physical link, such as an underground passageway, would have been
possible during the many occasions when Hammersmith Broadway has been
rebuilt over the years. I suspect that it never happened because the
number of passengers requiring such an interchange is very small
indeed.

If there was never an underground passageway, then what "Subway to
District and Piccadilly lines" is this (former) sign referring to?

http://greenberger.no-ip.com/gallery...geViewsIndex=1

It could have been referring to one of the subways under the road?

What do you mean by "one of the subways under the road" if not "an
underground passageway"?

I meant one from outside the station, rather than a direct link between the
two stations.
--
David Biddulph

Brick tower at Crouch Hill Station Basil Jet[_4_] London Transport 1 January 5th 17 03:36 PM
Old bridge over Brick Lane Martin J London Transport 3 April 25th 05 02:13 PM
Caught driving on a bus lane by camera - what to do? Volker Finke London Transport 46 October 11th 03 02:03 PM
Kew Bridge Bus Lane Suspended Robin Cox London Transport 6 September 30th 03 09:32 AM
Chancery Lane Matthew Malthouse London Transport 12 July 19th 03 05:02 PM