Old May 31st 07, 11:48 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default cab from heathrow to the docks ?

Hello,

We are three of us and we need to go from heathrow airport to the
Victoria Dock on a saturday evening. By tube it will take about 90mn
with 2 changes.

A cab will probably be much more comfortable... How long will it take,
and how much will it cost, approximately ?

Thanks,

--
pehache

Old May 31st 07, 01:49 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On May 31, 12:48 pm, pehache-tolai wrote:
A cab will probably be much more comfortable... How long will it take,
and how much will it cost, approximately ?

Between one and two hours depending on traffic (which can be just as
bad at weekends). Fare would be around £50, but depends on how long it
takes.

You can save a change by taking the tube to Canning Town (very near
Royal Victoria) and using a taxi the rest of the way, especially if
you were going to get one at the end anyway. There's a small time
saving to be had by taking the Heathrow Express to Paddington (£15
single), then the Bakerloo Line to Baker St where there's a cross
platform interchange with the Jubilee Line, which takes you to Canning
Town. That should get your journey down to under 1 hour.

A compromise route would be Piccadilly to Baron's Court, cross-
platform interchange to District, then pick up the Jubilee at
Westminster, which has a full set of lifts. That'll take 70-75
minutes, but can be done for the price of a tube single.

Old May 31st 07, 01:57 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Mr Thant wrote:

the Heathrow Express to Paddington (£15
single),

i.e. 45 quid for three people.

Old May 31st 07, 03:30 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message om of Thu,
31 May 2007 06:49:32 in uk.transport.london, Mr Thant
writes

[snip]

you were going to get one at the end anyway. There's a small time
saving to be had by taking the Heathrow Express to Paddington (£15
single), then the Bakerloo Line to Baker St where there's a cross

[snip]

Heathrow Connect runs twice an hour at about 27 and 57 and for 6.90
single about 10 minutes slower than Heathrow Express which runs 4 times
an hour. I recently used HC to escort my elderly mother to Heathrow. My
only complaint was that they had no feedback forms for me to say how
wonderful it was.
--
Walter Briscoe
Old May 31st 07, 06:49 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message .com,
pehache-tolai writes
Hello,

We are three of us and we need to go from heathrow airport to the
Victoria Dock on a saturday evening. By tube it will take about 90mn
with 2 changes.

I am work out from Heathrow (at least I try to start my evening from
there). The fare is on the meter. On a Saturday night there is usually
not too much traffic, provided you avoid the 'satnav' suggested route of
going via Piccadilly Circus which is usually choc a block. Total time
should be about one hour.

A fare to Victoria Dock is not 'compellable' as it is more than 20 miles
from Heathrow but you should not have any trouble getting a taxi ti take
you there. Cost will depend upon final distance, but you should get
there for about 75GBP. That's door to door. Compare this with 3 people
on the Heathrow Express 3 x 16 = 48 (it may even be 18 each on
weekends!), a taxi from there to Victoria Docks would be about 35 so the
overall cost is cheaper

advert What time are you arriving, which terminal, and do you want me
to pick you up. I don't hide my email address so you can contact me
direct!! :-))
end advert

--
Mike Hughes
at home in Tarring, West Sussex, England

Old June 1st 07, 09:21 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On May 31, 12:48 pm, pehache-tolai wrote:
Hello,

We are three of us and we need to go from heathrow airport to the
Victoria Dock on a saturday evening. By tube it will take about 90mn
with 2 changes.

A cab will probably be much more comfortable... How long will it take,
and how much will it cost, approximately ?

Thanks,

--
pehache

Cheapest way would be on the tube.
It's not too bad a journey. Piccadily to Green Park and the Jubilee to
Canning Town. Then a short bus ride.
£3.00 each with an Oyster, double that if you don't have one or £6.20
with a Travelcard.
Time wise, Saturday evening shouldn't be too bad. Just watch the
crowds of revellers if it's late evening (after about 10.00).
But . . . look out for Engineering works which may screw up your
plans.

Heathrow Express in my book isn't great. It's expensive £15.50 each.
And the amount of walking at Heathrow and at Paddington negates some
of the time gains.
Plus you still have to get a ticket from Paddington to Canning Town.

Cab woud be expensive. The last time I did it. (from Canary Wharf) It
cost round about £80 in a black cab. Split three ways its still
expensive. Prebooking a private hire will be cheaper and chose the
right one it's quite luxurious.
As you get a meet and greet and a nice confortable Mercedes with a
fixed price.
Time wise depending on traffic it could be the quickest way. On a
clear run it takes 1hour.
Any delays and you might have well have taken the tube and saved your
pounds for a drink.
Saturday evening you should get a clearish run if the cabby takes the
right routes and puts his foot down.

Old June 1st 07, 06:11 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Londoncityslicker" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

However, do bear in mind that this weekend (Sat 2nd) and weekend of Sat
16th, the Piccadilly (and District) Line is suspended between Acton Town and
Hammersmith. During the suspension LU tickets are valid on HEX and HCON.
--
Cheers, Steve.
Change jealous to sad to reply.

Old June 2nd 07, 06:42 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Fri, 01 Jun 2007 18:11:06 GMT, "Steve Dulieu"
wrote:

"Londoncityslicker" wrote in message
roups.com...
On May 31, 12:48 pm, pehache-tolai wrote:
Hello,

We are three of us and we need to go from heathrow airport to the
Victoria Dock on a saturday evening. By tube it will take about 90mn
with 2 changes.

A cab will probably be much more comfortable... How long will it take,
and how much will it cost, approximately ?

Thanks,

--
pehache

Cheapest way would be on the tube.
It's not too bad a journey. Piccadily to Green Park and the Jubilee to
Canning Town. Then a short bus ride.
£3.00 each with an Oyster, double that if you don't have one or £6.20
with a Travelcard.

Not a good idea with luggage - Green Park is a bad, bad, bad
interchange.

Better would be to change to the District line at Hammersmith or
Barons Court and then to the Jubilee line at Westminster.