Old September 20th 07, 02:17 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Rotherhithe Tunnel

The interweb says that there are four shafts, but I can only see three. Does
anyone know if shaft 4 (the northernmost one) is still there?

Incidentally, on the shot here
http://local.live.com/default.aspx?v...3373&encType=1
you can see that the Rotherhithe Tunnel Southern Approach has its own bridge
over the East London Line.

Old September 20th 07, 05:03 PM posted to uk.transport.london

http://local.live.com/default.aspx?v...style=o&lvl=2&...
you can see that the Rotherhithe Tunnel Southern Approach has its own bridge
over the East London Line.

Yes I've always found that bridge intriguing - I wonder how many
people realise it's there.

You can certainly see it when looking up from the station, but perhaps
if you don't know what it is it isn't particularly obvious that the
structure is in fact a bridge - certainly there isn't any particularly
noticeable traffic noise at platform level (the noise that is
noticeable is the sound of running water running down the drains, much
like at Wapping)

Driving along the approach road to/from the tunnel it's certainly not
apparent that you're going over a bridge - the walls are pretty high
(which will help muffle the noise at platform level).

The other fact I like about the Rotherhithe Tunnel is that alongside
the 34,000 vehicles that use it daily there are 20 brave pedestrians
who walk through it! I've no idea if the pavement through the tunnel
is officially shared by pedestrians and cyclists, but certainly no-one
will begrudge those cyclists who do take this subterranean route for
cycling on the pavement (which is what they do) given the very narrow
of the roadway.

Both cycling and walking through that Tunnel are some of the more
bizarre entries on my hypothetical 'things I haven't yet done in
London' list.

Old September 20th 07, 06:41 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 20 Sep, 02:17, "John Rowland"
wrote:
The interweb says that there are four shafts, but I can only see three. Does
anyone know if shaft 4 (the northernmost one) is still there?

The general opinion amonst the fanshafting mafia is that Shaft 4
disappeared in its original form fairly recently. However, it is
possible there is still some form of opening, but cleverly concealed
at surface level. It's very visible down below, however.

BRB Class 465.

Old September 20th 07, 06:43 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 20 Sep, 18:41, BRB Class 465 wrote:
The general opinion amonst the fanshafting mafia is that Shaft 4
disappeared in its original form fairly recently. However, it is
possible there is still some form of opening, but cleverly concealed
at surface level. It's very visible down below, however.

I forgot to mention, you might like to ask a certain rather large
person about this, though you won't get a straight answer.

Old September 20th 07, 07:29 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Thu, 20 Sep 2007, BRB Class 465 wrote:

On 20 Sep, 02:17, "John Rowland"
wrote:

The interweb says that there are four shafts, but I can only see three.
Does anyone know if shaft 4 (the northernmost one) is still there?

The general opinion amonst the fanshafting mafia

Of course! Fanshaft loonies! How could i have left them off my list?

tom

--
YUO CANNOT ESCAPE OR EVAR WIN!!!!!!!!

Old September 20th 07, 07:39 PM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote:

The interweb says that there are four shafts, but I can only see three.
Does anyone know if shaft 4 (the northernmost one) is still there?

The general opinion amonst the fanshafting mafia

Of course! Fanshaft loonies! How could i have left them off my list?

Well if you're branching out !

Fanshafters, Drainers, Tunnellers ... err give me a minute ...

Nick
--
Serendipity: http://www.leverton.org/blosxom (last update 9th Sep 2007)

"The Internet, an ersatz counterfeit of real life"
Old September 20th 07, 09:43 PM posted to uk.transport.london

John Rowland wrote:
The interweb says that there are four shafts, but I can only see
three. Does anyone know if shaft 4 (the northernmost one) is still
there?
Incidentally, on the shot here
http://local.live.com/default.aspx?v...3373&encType=1
you can see that the Rotherhithe Tunnel Southern Approach has its own
bridge over the East London Line.

Incidentally no. 2...

When you're coming out of the tunnel at the Rotherhithe end, the road splits
into 3 lanes just before the roundabout , and the right one is bizarrely
marked "ROTH TUN'L". I imagine this is supposed to say "ROTH STN" or some
such.

Old September 20th 07, 11:11 PM posted to uk.transport.london

John Rowland wrote:
John Rowland wrote:
The interweb says that there are four shafts, but I can only see
three. Does anyone know if shaft 4 (the northernmost one) is still
there?
Incidentally, on the shot here
http://local.live.com/default.aspx?v...3373&encType=1
you can see that the Rotherhithe Tunnel Southern Approach has its
own bridge over the East London Line.

Incidentally no. 2...

When you're coming out of the tunnel at the Rotherhithe end, the
road splits into 3 lanes just before the roundabout , and the right
one is bizarrely marked "ROTH TUN'L". I imagine this is supposed to
say "ROTH STN" or some such.

It says "ROTH HTHE" (= Rotherhithe). It's easier to see on Google Earth.

--
Richard J.

Old September 20th 07, 11:24 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"John Rowland" wrote in message
John Rowland wrote:
The interweb says that there are four shafts, but I can only see
three. Does anyone know if shaft 4 (the northernmost one) is still
there?
Incidentally, on the shot here
http://local.live.com/default.aspx?v...3373&encType=1
you can see that the Rotherhithe Tunnel Southern Approach has its own
bridge over the East London Line.

Incidentally no. 2...

When you're coming out of the tunnel at the Rotherhithe end, the road
splits into 3 lanes just before the roundabout , and the right one is
bizarrely marked "ROTH TUN'L". I imagine this is supposed to say "ROTH
STN" or some such.

'ROTH
HTHE'

On Google Earth's images, I reckon...

Paul

Old September 21st 07, 12:38 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On 20 Sep, 17:03, Mizter T wrote:
The other fact I like about the Rotherhithe Tunnel is that alongside
the 34,000 vehicles that use it daily there are 20 brave pedestrians
who walk through it! I've no idea if the pavement through the tunnel
is officially shared by pedestrians and cyclists, but certainly no-one
will begrudge those cyclists who do take this subterranean route for
cycling on the pavement (which is what they do) given the very narrow
of the roadway.

Both cycling and walking through that Tunnel are some of the more
bizarre entries on my hypothetical 'things I haven't yet done in
London' list.

Blimey, you mean it's legal to walk through it? Always assumed it was
strictly motorway-tunnel-style "no pedestrians, cyclist, horses or
stuff that's on fire".

Gotta try that [note to MI6: the walking, not the being on fire] next
time I'm heading sarf of the river...

--
John Band
john at johnband dot org