Old August 19th 03, 09:34 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Default Flash Mobbing

In message
"Joe Patrick" wrote:

If you're that short of useful things to do, I've got a shed needs
painting.

I see a Pink, White, Blue and White Shed with Gold 'F's over it

Can I have some of what you're drinking :-)

--
Graeme Wall
This address is not read, substitute trains for rail.

Old August 19th 03, 10:19 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

In article , Joe Patrick
writes
With all this Flash Mobbing going on a crazy idea sprung into my head. Since
there has been instances of Photographers turned away from Stations such as
Kings Cross and the like why dont you organise a Flash Mobbing where loads
of people turn up and take photos and see what the security staff try to do
about it. Just one of my Ideas - what do you Think?

I've got about a million spam virus laden emails flashmobbing my email
reader this evening. Anyone else? It seems to be W32.Sobig.F@mm

--
congokid
Eating out in London? Read my tips...
Old August 20th 03, 07:44 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Default Tony Martin

"Nathan Whitington" wrote in message
m...
"Thames Ranger" wrote in message

Take it somewhere more relevent, please. This is uk.railway and
uk.transport.london, not uk.letsdiscusstonymartin, no matter how

interesting
the debate. I'll leave you to choose a more appropriate group!

FU: alt.dev.null

You think you are big because you wrote that.

Sorry, did you have something pertinent to say? Or are you just fat for
saying that ;-)

Old August 20th 03, 09:57 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Default (OT) Tony Martin

"Jason Hobbs King" wrote in message

It's thread drift and, in line with Usenet convention the thread

has
even been renamed. Live with it or, if you don't like, it just set
your newsreader to ignore the thread.

What convention? No Charter or FAQ I've ever read has sanctioned

this.

The unwritten convention that thread drift happens and the best way to
'manage' it is to rename the thread, prefixing it with (OT) or
similar.

Old August 20th 03, 10:19 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

In message , Richard
writes
Personally my sympathies lie entirely with Mr Martin. As I understand
it he fired downwards intending to injure one burglar in the legs, with
no knowledge that the other was crouching there. People who break into
other people's houses (or factories, locosheds, etc) with criminal
intent deserve all they get, and the law should be on the side of the
burgled, not the burglar.

While it seems nice on the surface, the Daily Mail answer to crime is a
dangerous one.

At the moment we have a system where after committing on average about 10
burglaries, the person is bundled before the courts and receives a
punishment, usually of a hundred or so hours unpaid work first time round,

So, for totally destroying a family's feeling of security in their own
home, depriving them of items of possibly incalculable sentimental
value, you regard getting away with it 10 times and then doing a few
hours of unpaid work as a suitable punishment?

Perhaps you are a hermit who owns nothing of value, financial or
personal, but most of the rest of us regard our homes as places of
safety and security in which we can store our goods and memories.

The punishment for those who shatter that feeling of security should be
one hell of a lot worse than 100 hours of light labour, IMO.

custodial later on.

After they've wrecked even more people's well-being.

The punishment is not currently death.

I'm not suggesting that it should be. However those who set out to
commit such crimes should expect both a high level of risk (including
the possibility of death, maiming, or other very serious injury) while
carrying out their acts, and harsh punishment when caught by the proper
authorities.

Proper justice includes the extraction of fair vengeance from the
wrongdoer. Those who commit crime for gain should have fewer rights
than those who don't, or who only do so to protect themselves and their
property from criminals.

snip silly examples

And BTW, I don't read the Daily Mail.

--
- Jack Howard, Systems Development Engineer, Firstnet Services Limited
===[ http://www.firstnet.net.uk --- Total Internet Solutions ]===

===[ This message subject to http://www.firstnet.net.uk/disclaimer.html ]===

Old August 20th 03, 12:44 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Stimpy wrote:
"Jason Hobbs King" wrote in message

It's thread drift and, in line with Usenet convention the
thread has even been renamed. Live with it or, if you
don't like, it just set your newsreader to ignore the
thread.

What convention? No Charter or FAQ I've ever read has
sanctioned this.

The unwritten convention that thread drift happens and the
best way to 'manage' it is to rename the thread, prefixing
it with (OT) or similar.

P'rahaps he's just another one of these dickheads that needs to have "rules"
and "instructions" before he'll comply with a simple request. It's specimens
like that that make life difficult for sensible people and don't even
advance their own cause.

Old August 20th 03, 01:23 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On Tue, 19 Aug 2003 23:19:05 +0100, congokid
wrote:

In article , Joe Patrick
writes
With all this Flash Mobbing going on a crazy idea sprung into my head. Since
there has been instances of Photographers turned away from Stations such as
Kings Cross and the like why dont you organise a Flash Mobbing where loads
of people turn up and take photos and see what the security staff try to do
about it. Just one of my Ideas - what do you Think?

I've got about a million spam virus laden emails flashmobbing my email
reader this evening. Anyone else? It seems to be W32.Sobig.F@mm

More about W32/Sobig.f
http://us.mcafee.com/root/campaign.asp?cid=8449
Scan for W32/Sobig.f
http://us.mcafee.com/root/campaign.asp?cid=8450

Cheers,

Jason.
Old August 20th 03, 01:27 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On Wed, 20 Aug 2003 10:57:48 +0100, "Stimpy"
wrote:

"Jason Hobbs King" wrote in message
.. .

It's thread drift and, in line with Usenet convention the thread

has
even been renamed. Live with it or, if you don't like, it just set
your newsreader to ignore the thread.

What convention? No Charter or FAQ I've ever read has sanctioned

this.

The unwritten convention that thread drift happens and the best way to
'manage' it is to rename the thread, prefixing it with (OT) or
similar.

Wonder why it's unwritten? Because it's not a convention!
If it goes off topic, take it to email.

Cheers,

Jason.
Old August 20th 03, 01:29 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

wrote:

The unwritten convention that thread drift happens and the best way to
'manage' it is to rename the thread, prefixing it with (OT) or
similar.

Wonder why it's unwritten? Because it's not a convention!
If it goes off topic, take it to email.

Taking it to a more suitable group is also a perfectly reasonable action.

Old August 20th 03, 01:48 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

In message , Jason Hobbs
King writes

Wonder why it's unwritten? Because it's not a convention!
If it goes off topic, take it to email.

Bit inconvenient for anyone else who was interested in the discussion,
though.

AFAIA, the "convention" is that if only two people are contributing,
take it to mail, but if several people are actively posting to the
thread (and not just to rant about OT posts!), then it should be
labelled appropriately but left running, as members of the group are
obviously interested in it. Claiming that you should move to another,
more appropriate group isn't really that feasible, as few people are
subscribed to all 35,000~odd active groups!