Old September 1st 03, 02:56 PM posted to uk.transport.london,cam.misc,uk.transport

Default BBC's UK's Worst

On Mon, 1 Sep 2003 15:01:13 +0100, Roland Perry
wrote:

The Staples was built on the site of the former B&Q which was damaged by
the IRA bombing of the flyover (Oct 8th 93), and without doing more
research probably opened in the summer of 94 (that N/S flyover was still
closed). B&Q didn't want to redevelop the site as they were only opening
"B&Q Depots" at the time, and the site wasn't big enough.

I do believe that's where the original Staples was. Unless my mind is
playing tricks with me vis-a-vis the current Staples. ISTR it had a
biege facade and signeage mentioning "Beds" and "Furniture".

I've definitely seen the Staples store, and AIR there were no
commercial buildings on the NCR adjacent to the bottom end of the M1
extension, and on the opposite side of the Edgware Road to the
Staples/BQ/Staples site there was just railway yards and depots behind
hoardings.

Unless I'm wrong. It was 1971! ;-)

DG

Old September 1st 03, 04:10 PM posted to uk.transport.london,cam.misc,uk.transport

In article , Gareth Marlow
writes
The office equipment store in Cambridge opened when I was a fourth year
student; late 93 or early 94.

Sounds plausible. And probably makes it the second.

Before that it was a DIY store -
Homebase? Before they took over Texas and moved to the Beehive? I could be
wrong.

I wasn't around Cambridge in those days. Before that it was a Car
Showroom (as was that row of shops in Jesus Lane).
--
"now, the thing you type on and the window you stare out of are the same thing"
Old September 1st 03, 04:14 PM posted to uk.transport.london,cam.misc,uk.transport

In article , derek
writes
on the opposite side of the Edgware Road to the
Staples/BQ/Staples site there was just railway yards and depots behind
hoardings.

That's where the PC World, and number of other "American Style"
superstores and eateries are, today.
--
"now, the thing you type on and the window you stare out of are the same thing"
Old September 1st 03, 05:04 PM posted to uk.transport.london,cam.misc,uk.transport

Roland Perry wrote...

Andrew writes:

Do you know, I always wondered where the name of Staples Corner came

from, I
felt it couldn't be after the office equipment/stationery company, in

spite
of their presence.

No - Staples was a company making mattresses (and perhaps other bed
components), wasn't it? If the Staples office-equipment chain now has a
store there, I'm sure that's just a spooky coincidence.

As for the mattress factory, that is exactly what the junction *was* named
after. Many well-known London road-junctions were similarly named after
business premises located there. Two other obvious examples are "Henly's
Corner" (a mile or so east along the NCR from Staple's Corner, named after
the car-dealers) and "Gardner's Corner" (the junction of Whitechapel Road
and Commercial Road, named after the long-demolished department store which
previously stood on the triangular site).

I'm not sure when the furniture store closed. Guessing wildly, perhaps
15 years ago? I'd be interested to know if anyone remembers which corner
of the junction had the Staples store, and did it close before or after
the E/W North Circular flyover was built.

I'm pretty sure the Staples mattress factory building was on the south-west
side of the junction of A406/A5, that is on the left when proceeding north
along the A5 or when proceeding west along the NCR. I don't know when it
closed. It's so long since I passed that particular spot that I'm sure it
was still standing when I was last there.

Old September 1st 03, 05:23 PM posted to uk.transport.london,cam.misc,uk.transport

In article , JNugent
eeofspamserve.co.uk writes
I'm pretty sure the Staples mattress factory building was on the south-west
side of the junction of A406/A5, that is on the left when proceeding north
along the A5 or when proceeding west along the NCR.

That's where the current Staples (Office) store is. Ex B&Q. Spooky
perhaps, but having been close to the business at the time they just
chose an available site (because of the IRA bomb) at a high traffic
location.
--
"now, the thing you type on and the window you stare out of are the same thing"

Old September 1st 03, 05:40 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Matthew Malthouse" wrote in message
.. .
On 28 Aug 2003 22:11:38 GMT Robin May wrote:
}
} I had no sympathy whatsoever for the woman living by the tram line
} though. She'd known about it when she bought it and gave a weak excuse
} along the lines of "I liked the garden and the size, and the trams have
} got louder since I bought the house". If you're worried about noise,
} don't buy a house next to a tram line! Pretty simple, I'd have thought.

Like the chap who threatened to sue us because of the noise of our gate
being used at night.

Having moved into his warehouse conversion at however many thousend
pounds you'd have hoped that he'd realise that there were implications
to having a 24 hour business less than 10 yards away across the street.

What was the outcome?

/john

Old September 1st 03, 07:02 PM posted to uk.transport.london,cam.misc,uk.transport
NM NM is offline

derek wrote:

I've definitely seen the Staples store, and AIR there were no
commercial buildings on the NCR adjacent to the bottom end of the M1
extension, and on the opposite side of the Edgware Road to the
Staples/BQ/Staples site there was just railway yards and depots behind
hoardings.

Unless I'm wrong. It was 1971! ;-)

That's wot I recall FWIW. We had a parking yard for our trucks on land
that is now part of the roundabout for the end of the M! (the initial
version of the roundabout not the multiplex junction there is now.

Old September 2nd 03, 07:16 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Mon, 1 Sep 2003 18:40:12 +0100 John Kenyon wrote:
} "Matthew Malthouse" wrote:
}
} Like the chap who threatened to sue us because of the noise of our gate
} being used at night.
}
} Having moved into his warehouse conversion at however many thousend
} pounds you'd have hoped that he'd realise that there were implications
} to having a 24 hour business less than 10 yards away across the street.
}
} What was the outcome?

I don't know.

Matthew
--
Záhid sharáb píné dé, masjid mein baith kar
ya woh jagah batá dé jahán Khudá na ho.
Old September 2nd 03, 01:25 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london,uk.transport

Ian D Henden wrote:

Three of us set off in convoy.

One went clockwise round M25, one went anticlockwise, I went straight on
across London.

Er ... how can you drive in convoy if you are going different routes?

(Can't remember which coach got to Stanstead first)

Well that's spoilt the story g

--
Stevie D
\\\\\ ///// Bringing dating agencies to the
Old September 2nd 03, 02:02 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london,uk.transport

"Stevie D" wrote in message
Ian D Henden wrote:

Three of us set off in convoy.

One went clockwise round M25, one went anticlockwise, I went straight on
across London.

Er ... how can you drive in convoy if you are going different routes?

They *set off* in convoy. They could've driven in convoy until they reached
the M25, then went their separate ways.

Worst Welcome MaxB London Transport 15 March 14th 06 09:57 AM
Worst ten commutes Dave Arquati London Transport 9 December 13th 04 09:30 AM
Which bus-stop is best? Which is worst? Sir Benjamin Nunn London Transport 0 September 16th 04 11:30 AM
Worst map ever John Rowland London Transport 2 February 24th 04 08:25 PM
The Worst Tube Station in London....were is it... ronnie biggs London Transport 56 July 29th 03 06:54 PM