Old April 27th 08, 08:47 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Best route Stansted Express - Turnham Green

On 2008-04-27, Mizter T wrote:

tims next home wrote:

"Roland Perry" wrote:

(snip)

How about District and Circle via Liverpool St to Kings Cross, then across
the island platform to return to Liverpool St the same side as the
mainline trains?

There are some steps (about 5) up from the booking hall to the main
concourse (at Liverpool St). How do you avoid these?

I'm pretty sure that at Liverpool St there's a ramp somewhere down
from the concourse level to the Tube ticket office level.

It's a lift - the concourse-level door is inside the rail ticket office!

Anyway, I think Mr Thant's District line (if required), Piccadilly
line, Victoria line and Stansted Express route is the best step free
way to go.

Am I the only person who doesn't worry about this sort of stuff?!

Old April 27th 08, 08:47 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , at
16:39:23 on Sun, 27 Apr 2008, Tom Anderson
remarked:
How about District and Circle via Liverpool St to Kings Cross, then
across the island platform to return to Liverpool St the same side as
the mainline trains?

Or change to Wimbleware at Earl's Court, and then to Circle or H&C at
Edgware Road? That avoids the doubling-back, which is inelegant, and
involves the same number of changes.

Sometimes you end up having to cross a bridge to get between a
terminating Wimbleware train and the Met/Circle at Edgware Rd. Best to
change onto a Circle Line, somewhere like Paddington. But yes, that
sounds more elegant. Is it any quicker?
Old April 27th 08, 08:49 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , at 20:49:38 on Sun, 27
Apr 2008, tims next home remarked:
How about District and Circle via Liverpool St to Kings Cross, then
across the island platform to return to Liverpool St the same side as
the mainline trains?

There are some steps (about 5) up from the booking hall to the main
concourse (at Liverpool St). How do you avoid these?

There's also a hard-to-find ramp.
Old April 27th 08, 08:50 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message
, at
13:36:41 on Sun, 27 Apr 2008, Mizter T remarked:
Am I the only person who doesn't worry about this sort of stuff?!

One day when you are over 80, or have a bad back and two large
suitcases, you'll start worrying. I won't wish you into a wheelchair,
though.
Old April 27th 08, 08:59 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 27 Apr, 21:36, Mizter T wrote:
tims next home wrote:
There are some steps (about 5) up from the booking hall to the main
concourse (at Liverpool St). *How do you avoid these?

I'm pretty sure that at Liverpool St there's a ramp somewhere down
from the concourse level to the Tube ticket office level.

There's a secret lift in the travel centre that'll take you down to
the corner of the tube ticket hall or up to the mezzanine. All three
entrances are well hidden, one of them deliberately so, within the war
memorial.

http://londonconnections.blogspot.com/
A blog about transport projects in London

Old April 27th 08, 09:41 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Sun, 27 Apr 2008, Mizter T wrote:

tims next home wrote:

"Roland Perry" wrote:

(snip)

How about District and Circle via Liverpool St to Kings Cross, then across
the island platform to return to Liverpool St the same side as the
mainline trains?

There are some steps (about 5) up from the booking hall to the main
concourse (at Liverpool St). How do you avoid these?

I'm pretty sure that at Liverpool St there's a ramp somewhere down
from the concourse level to the Tube ticket office level.

Anyway, I think Mr Thant's District line (if required), Piccadilly
line, Victoria line and Stansted Express route is the best step free
way to go.

Am I the only person who doesn't worry about this sort of stuff?!

Probably not. But just because you're a public policy loony rather than a
step-free loony, no need to spoil our fun!

tom

--
There are lousy reviews, and then there's empirical ****ness. -- pikelet
Old April 27th 08, 09:50 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Sun, 27 Apr 2008, Roland Perry wrote:

In message , at 16:39:23
on Sun, 27 Apr 2008, Tom Anderson remarked:
How about District and Circle via Liverpool St to Kings Cross, then across
the island platform to return to Liverpool St the same side as the
mainline trains?

Or change to Wimbleware at Earl's Court, and then to Circle or H&C at
Edgware Road? That avoids the doubling-back, which is inelegant, and
involves the same number of changes.

Sometimes you end up having to cross a bridge to get between a
terminating Wimbleware train and the Met/Circle at Edgware Rd. Best to
change onto a Circle Line, somewhere like Paddington.

That does avoid the risk of steps, but means a potentially longer wait for
a train, because it has to be a Circle. Decisions, decisions!

Richard's Gloucester Road route is very clever - it does District to
Liverpool Street with just one change, whereas our routes both involve
two. It is a change onto the Circle, though, and kind of involves some
doubling-back.

But yes, that sounds more elegant. Is it any quicker?

Pass! The key difference is probably in the changes, with changes that
require a Circle train having the potential to introduce a very long wait,
and those that can use any subsurface train being quicker. So, District to
Circle at Tower Hill is slow, Wimbleware to Circle or Hammersmith at
Edgware Road is a bit quicker, Wimbleware to Circle at Paddington slow,
Circle to Circle/Hammersmith/Met at King's Cross fast, District to Circle
at Gloucester Road slow. I have no idea how fast the change onto the
Wimbleware at Earl's Court is.

tom

--
There are lousy reviews, and then there's empirical ****ness. -- pikelet
Old April 27th 08, 11:23 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 27 Apr, 21:50, Roland Perry wrote:

In message
,
at 13:36:41 on Sun, 27 Apr 2008, Mizter T remarked:

Am I the only person who doesn't worry about this sort of stuff?!

One day when you are over 80, or have a bad back and two large
suitcases, you'll start worrying. I won't wish you into a wheelchair,
though.

Thank you, you are most benevolent Mr Perry...

Being serious, sorry, I didn't mean to come across like that - I am
fully aware that there is an enormous panoply of reasons why
travellers might wish to avoid stairs when using public transport, and
I am genuinely most sympathetically minded towards that, and am
strongly in favour of stair free access being provided wherever
possible.

I have the good fortune at present that such matters are not of such a
critical consideration, but I'm quite sure they will be at some point,
and at such a time I'll certainly be most grateful for provision of
step-free access.

I guess all I was thinking about was how, when advice is given for
journeys where the traveller is likely to have luggage, I sometimes
wonder whether there is a slight preoccupation towards recommending
step-free routes in exclusion of all others - obviously what is
appropriate entirely depends upon the traveller in question, but I
just worry a little that some otherwise pretty decent routes that do
involve stairs might be condemned a little too hastily.
Old April 28th 08, 07:18 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , at 21:47:24 on
Sun, 27 Apr 2008, Eric remarked:
I'm pretty sure that at Liverpool St there's a ramp somewhere down
from the concourse level to the Tube ticket office level.

It's a lift - the concourse-level door is inside the rail ticket office!

Has the ramp been removed? I know there was a ramp about four years ago
- I used it.
Old April 28th 08, 07:24 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In message
, at
16:23:06 on Sun, 27 Apr 2008, Mizter T remarked:
I guess all I was thinking about was how, when advice is given for
journeys where the traveller is likely to have luggage, I sometimes
wonder whether there is a slight preoccupation towards recommending
step-free routes in exclusion of all others - obviously what is
appropriate entirely depends upon the traveller in question, but I
just worry a little that some otherwise pretty decent routes that do
involve stairs might be condemned a little too hastily.

Decent routes with lots of stairs are usually obvious. Ones with no
stairs are difficult, ones with no escalators either are very tricky.

The are a few routes where being "allowed" a few stairs helps a lot.
London Bridge is one of those, with just a handful of stairs. Sounds
like "over the bridge" at Tottenham Hale is another.

What you have to imagine is perhaps a child in a buggy. Given the
location and layout of the station, and the number of steps - would you
be happy leaving the baby in the buggy at one end of the stairs, while
you first took the suitcase, left that behind, and then took the buggy.