Old September 5th 03, 05:31 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default thankfully no motorways in Islington!

"Neil Williams" wrote in message
On Thu, 4 Sep 2003 22:29:15 +0100, "I@n" wrote:

Hmmm. I've read somewhere that speed bumps create more pollution because

of
the slow-down/speed-up/slow-down/speed-up driving pattern that results,

but
never that they cause any deaths.

There are a few in Milton Keynes (some on my estate, some in the
centre) where the speed bump is also a pedestrian crossing of a
footpath/cycleway, but is completely unmarked (other than the usual
speedbump markings). This often leads to pedestrians thinking a car
is going to stop and it does not - while, of course, the car driver
should be watching out and anticipating this, I can see how it could
lead to an accident if both parties were not paying full attention to
the situation.

Hmmm....given that the govt.'s own research suggests that speed is only the
primary factor in 6% of all road traffic accidents (some 80% being 'not
paying full attention') one wonders about the rationale for speed bumps and
the near hysterical anti-car campaigns at all.

Adrian

Old September 5th 03, 08:37 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Fri, 5 Sep 2003 06:31:57 +0100 Adrian wrote:
}
} "Neil Williams" wrote in message
} ...
[...]

It's soemthing to take their mind off the driving.

Matthew
--
Záhid sharáb píné dé, masjid mein baith kar
ya woh jagah batá dé jahán Khudá na ho.
Old September 7th 03, 01:08 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"df" wrote in message ...

Liverpool Road is technically part of a 20mph zone, and such zone have
to be self-enforced with traffic calming. Why they made the speed
limit on that road 20mph I have no idea.

Where does it say 20mph zone?

daveF

Well it says so on the entrance from Holloway Road, plus I believe
from the entrance into Theberton Street from Upper Street and that
into Mackenzie Road off Caledonian Road, the 3 most common ways from
which I enter that road.
Old September 7th 03, 01:14 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Hmmm. I've read somewhere that speed bumps create more pollution
because of the slow-down/speed-up/slow-down/speed-up driving pattern
that results, but never that they cause any deaths.

Before someone else gets in there. The reason some councils are removing
speed bumps is because emergency service vehicles (especially)
ambulances are being delayed trying to get over the speed bumps. And I
think infact patients have been injured even more going over speed
bumps.
And deaths have been proved to a result of speed bumps. But not in a way
you were probably thinking of.

Actually, one thing that sleeping policemen cause me to do is drive in
the middle of the road instead of the left hand side.

This is on the roads where there are 3 of them, and the one on the
left-hand side is obscured by parked vehicles, so I have to drive over
the middle one.
Old September 7th 03, 02:26 PM posted to uk.transport.london

(Colin Rosenstiel) wrote the following in:

In article ,
(Robin May) wrote:

(nmtop40) wrote the following in:
om

Actually, one thing that sleeping policemen cause me to do is
drive in the middle of the road instead of the left hand side.

This is on the roads where there are 3 of them, and the one on
the left-hand side is obscured by parked vehicles, so I have to
drive over the middle one.

There's a road near me where the speed bumps (which are of the
two separate hump variety) are practically unnoticeable if you
drive over the middle of them between the two humps. As a result,
everyone drives over the middle of them (and therefore in the
middle of the road) at 30mph.

Until a car is coming the other way, when they slow down, as
intended.

Actually when a car is coming the other way the usual result is that
one car stays in the middle of the road while the other goes into their
side of the road to avoid the oncoming car. There is also the problem
that two sets of speed bumps are on corners with limited visibility.
This means that you'll often meet a car flying round the bend in the
middle of the road. Sound dangerous to you? It certainly looks it to
me.

--
message by Robin May, founder of International Boyism
"Would Inspector Sands please go to the Operations Room immediately."

Unofficially immune to hangovers.
Old September 7th 03, 07:26 PM posted to uk.transport.london
df df is offline

nmtop40 wrote in message
om...
"df" wrote in message

Liverpool Road is technically part of a 20mph zone, and such zone have
to be self-enforced with traffic calming. Why they made the speed
limit on that road 20mph I have no idea.

Where does it say 20mph zone?

daveF

Well it says so on the entrance from Holloway Road, plus I believe
from the entrance into Theberton Street from Upper Street and that
into Mackenzie Road off Caledonian Road, the 3 most common ways from
which I enter that road.

This must be a 'suggested' speed limit otherwise they would have to erected
speed limit signs in every entrance to Liverpool Road for people to obey the
permit speed limit.

daveF

Old September 7th 03, 07:33 PM posted to uk.transport.london
df df is offline

(Robin May) wrote:

[...]

If you decide to drive down the middle to avoid the speed bump peaks you are
more than likely to collide with an innocent car that is pulling out of a
side road and intends to travel in the opposite direction to you.

How would you explain to your insurance company that you were driving down
the middle of the road to avoid the bumps so you could maintain the maximum
speed.

daveF

Old September 7th 03, 08:15 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"df" wrote the following in:

If you decide to drive down the middle to avoid the speed bump
peaks you are more than likely to collide with an innocent car
that is pulling out of a side road and intends to travel in the
opposite direction to you.

Me=innocent car at risk of collision.

How would you explain to your insurance company that you were
driving down the middle of the road to avoid the bumps so you
could maintain the maximum speed.

I don't know, it would be hard to explain something I wasn't doing.