Old May 28th 08, 12:09 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Taxi time from Paddington to St. Pancras International - Fridaymorning?

Hi... I'm arriving at Paddington about 0800/0830 this Friday, heading
for St. Pancras to catch the Eurostar. I know I can take the tube,
but that's not the most appealing option with 2 of us humping
luggage. So, could anyone give me an idea of the likely time and cost
(I know it's only 2.5 miles but am also aware what traffic might be
like!) to get from Paddington to St. Pancras that morning?

Thanks in advance

Old May 28th 08, 12:56 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message
, at
05:09:28 on Wed, 28 May 2008, Traveller
remarked:
Hi... I'm arriving at Paddington about 0800/0830 this Friday, heading
for St. Pancras to catch the Eurostar. I know I can take the tube,
but that's not the most appealing option with 2 of us humping
luggage.

It's not that bad in that direction, actually.

Go into the "lawn" area at Paddington and there's a (glass) lift on the
mid-righthand side, down to the Circle/District booking office level.
From there it's on the level to the clockwise platform. At KxStP there
are lifts about 2/3 of the way to the rear of the train up to that
booking office level, then another lift in the far left corner up to the
E* departure concourse level.

The bigger problem is that Circle Line trains (changing at Edgware Rd
can involve stairs) aren't very frequent.

So, could anyone give me an idea of the likely time and cost
(I know it's only 2.5 miles but am also aware what traffic might be
like!) to get from Paddington to St. Pancras that morning?

At a guess: £12 and 20 minutes.
Old May 28th 08, 04:31 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Traveller wrote in news:8b180ab2-75d1-4b8a-9429-
:

Hi... I'm arriving at Paddington about 0800/0830 this Friday, heading
for St. Pancras to catch the Eurostar. I know I can take the tube,
but that's not the most appealing option with 2 of us humping
luggage. So, could anyone give me an idea of the likely time and cost
(I know it's only 2.5 miles but am also aware what traffic might be
like!) to get from Paddington to St. Pancras that morning?

I'd allow 20 min and it will cost about £10 plus tip. The
Marylebone/Euston Road usually flows reasonably well in the morning unless
there is an accident or road works. You may have to queue a while for a
taxi, though, especially if it's raining as the BBC seems to think it might
be. If you can, I'd aim for 08:00 rather than 08:30 as it will be
noticeably less busy, but this is half term week for most schools so London
is marginally less thronged than it can be.

If you do take the Underground there are usually more regular trains, but
also more steps to climb up and down, if you go from the Ham & City line
rather than the Circle line. It might be worth calling 020 7222 1200 as
you arrive for a recorded message about any disruption.

Peter

--
Peter Campbell Smith ~ London ~ pjcs00 (a) gmail.com
Old May 29th 08, 12:12 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In message
,
Traveller writes
Hi... I'm arriving at Paddington about 0800/0830 this Friday, heading
for St. Pancras to catch the Eurostar. I know I can take the tube,
but that's not the most appealing option with 2 of us humping
luggage. So, could anyone give me an idea of the likely time and cost
(I know it's only 2.5 miles but am also aware what traffic might be
like!) to get from Paddington to St. Pancras that morning?

Time will of course be dependent upon traffic conditions, but there is a
bus lane the taxis can also use which goes along the major part of the
route you will take. If traffic is light is should take about 220-25
minutes. Allow another 15 if traffic is very bad (not so likely as it's
half term and there is less traffic about)

Cost: If there are no delays cost would be in the order of 11-14 GBP but
if you get stuck in traffic the meter switches to time mode and this
will increase the cost - the greater the waiting the greater the cost.
Even *if* you get stuck it would be unlikely to exceed 20 GBP (worse
case scenario in most conditions)

As someone else has pointed out there is sometimes a queue for taxis,
but there is always a very good supple of taxis and you will move along
the queue very quickly.

Hope this helps

--
Mike Hughes
at home in Tarring, West Sussex, England
Old June 6th 08, 08:09 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Thanks to all who replied - your estimates were pretty close. We
arrived Paddington at 0830, had no wait at all for a taxi, it took
about 20 minutes and the fare was £12.50 including tip. Much, much
less hassle than the tube.

I did take the tube for the return trip, and can recommend it to/from
St. Pancras - close to Eurostar exit, well signed, lifts, and no real
problems.