Old September 13th 03, 11:07 PM posted to uk.rec.driving,uk.transport.london

Default Enfield to Putney - which route?

In article ,
AstraVanMan wrote:
Not completely sure of traffic flows around Docklands on a Saturday,
but can't imagine it'd be too bad - I reckon the best way would be
A24/A3 to the Elehpant and Castle, around to Tower Bridge, then up the
Highway, Limehouse Link/Aspen Way, then A12 / A406.

Not sure about all of your route, but I regularly go from Balham to Kings
Cross on a Saturday afternoon, and find that crossing at Battersea bridge
and using the North Embankment route up to Blackfriars by far the quickest
- in both directions. The rare large demonstration round parliament
obviously excepted, though.

--
*It was all so different before everything changed.

Dave Plowman London SW 12
RIP Acorn

Old September 13th 03, 11:10 PM posted to uk.rec.driving,uk.transport.london

My immediate instinct is to go down the A10 until Seven Sisters, then
the A503 through Camden, towards and around Regents Park into Baker
Street, right into Marylebone Road, left into Old Marylebone Road and
across into Sussex Gardens, left into Sussex Place eventually through
Hyde Park, across Kensington Gore, right into Prince Consort Road and
eventually cross the A4 at Gloucester Road, leading to Cranley Gardens
and Elm Park Gardens until you get to Kings Road where I turn right
until I reach Putney Bridge.
Old September 14th 03, 07:45 AM posted to uk.rec.driving,uk.transport.london

nmtop40 wrote:
My immediate instinct is to go down the A10 until Seven Sisters, then
the A503 through Camden, towards and around Regents Park into Baker
Street, right into Marylebone Road, left into Old Marylebone Road and
across into Sussex Gardens, left into Sussex Place eventually through
Hyde Park, across Kensington Gore, right into Prince Consort Road and
eventually cross the A4 at Gloucester Road, leading to Cranley Gardens
and Elm Park Gardens until you get to Kings Road where I turn right
until I reach Putney Bridge.

Cheers for that - variations on the A10 / A503 route seem quite popular -
I'm guessing the A10 is quite quiet coming into town in the evening rush
hour. Follows the general theory that most people are coming out of town in
the evening. Certainly worked a while back when I had a drop in Temple
Fortune and then a few in town - I just flew down the Finchley Road.

Unfortunately that was the theory I worked on choosing the A13 in the route
I took - I avoided the A12 due to the inevitable massive queues at that
junction, and from that point of view I made the right choice - the queuing
at the end of the A406 to get onto the A13 was pretty much non-existent.

Shame I didn't think of a route similar to yours as I'm reasonably familiar
with the streets that cross over Fulham Road + Kings Road, though I probably
would have either gone through Hammersmith and up Fulham Palace Road, or
North End Road and Fulham Road, as Kings Road is an absolute PITA at the
moment with all the roads around the gas works being shut - the queues up to
Wandsworth Bridge Road are a nightmare at the moment - even joining Kings
Road at 1927 from Lots Road it took me until 1950 to get to my destination
in Putney.

I could well have been better off going over Battersea Bridge and possibly
even coming back over Wandsworth Bridge, or just through Wandsworth, which
is normally busy, but never at a standstill for too long (I hesitate to use
the word 'flowing'). But when I went that way the other day I wanted to
turn right onto Westbridge Road (the road that leads up to the heliport) but
it's a banned right turn - does anyone know if it's possible to turn right
onto Battersea Church Road ??

Peter

Old September 14th 03, 07:54 AM posted to uk.rec.driving,uk.transport.london

Dave Plowman wrote in message
In article ,
AstraVanMan wrote:
Not completely sure of traffic flows around Docklands on a Saturday,
but can't imagine it'd be too bad - I reckon the best way would be
A24/A3 to the Elehpant and Castle, around to Tower Bridge, then up the
Highway, Limehouse Link/Aspen Way, then A12 / A406.

Not sure about all of your route, but I regularly go from Balham to Kings
Cross on a Saturday afternoon, and find that crossing at Battersea bridge
and using the North Embankment route up to Blackfriars by far the quickest
- in both directions. The rare large demonstration round parliament
obviously excepted, though.

Whenever I'm going along the Embankment I always avoid Parliament Square by
going over Lambeth Bridge, up Lambeth Palace Road, and then left onto
Westminster Bridge, and then right onto t'Embankment. Most of the time it's
not too bad, but the other day I thought I'd try going that way, and there
was quite a big queue, which got on my nerves, so I turned around and went
the other way.

Also, IMPORTANT REQUEST FOR INFORMATION:

Does anyone know where I can buy a "nipple" for my IBM Thinkpad - you know,
the little red thing that's a bit like a joystick that does the job of a
mouse - it left me the other day and I could do with another one. They
can't be too expensive, surely. Also, for a while I had a mouse plugged in,
but the laptop fell on the floor and the area around the mouse port got all
bent and buggered, and now the mouse won't work.

Peter

Old September 14th 03, 08:21 AM posted to uk.rec.driving,uk.transport.london

In message ,
AstraVanMan writes

I could well have been better off going over Battersea Bridge and possibly
even coming back over Wandsworth Bridge, or just through Wandsworth, which
is normally busy, but never at a standstill for too long (I hesitate to use
the word 'flowing'). But when I went that way the other day I wanted to
turn right onto Westbridge Road (the road that leads up to the heliport) but
it's a banned right turn - does anyone know if it's possible to turn right
onto Battersea Church Road ??

It is - or at least it was certainly possible last time I drove that way
a few weeks ago.

--
Paul Terry

Old September 14th 03, 08:38 AM posted to uk.rec.driving,uk.transport.london

I could well have been better off going over Battersea Bridge and
possibly
even coming back over Wandsworth Bridge, or just through Wandsworth,

which
is normally busy, but never at a standstill for too long (I hesitate to

use
the word 'flowing'). But when I went that way the other day I wanted to
turn right onto Westbridge Road (the road that leads up to the heliport)

but
it's a banned right turn - does anyone know if it's possible to turn

right
onto Battersea Church Road ??

It is - or at least it was certainly possible last time I drove that way
a few weeks ago.

Ah, great. Cheers for that. Just when I thought I'd found a reasonably
well flowing way out of town in that direction (Embankment, up Lots Road
past Chelsea Harbour, along Kings Road for only a few hundred metres, and
then up Edith Row and along to Imperial Road + up to Wandsworth Bridge) they
decide to close a load of roads. Well, I'm still figuring out all the back
streets - the only place I've got completely sorted out is the West End -
everywhere else I've still got a fair bit to learn!

Peter

Old September 14th 03, 08:58 AM posted to uk.rec.driving,uk.transport.london

In article ,
AstraVanMan wrote:
But when I went that way the other day I wanted to turn right onto
Westbridge Road (the road that leads up to the heliport) but it's a
banned right turn - does anyone know if it's possible to turn right onto
Battersea Church Road ??

Yes. That's the route I use. Although the lights where you join Vicarage
Road can be a bit slow sometimes.

To get to Putney from here, I'd turn left at the first lights after you
join Yorks road, into Plough Lane. Turn right at the South Circular (can
sometimes be slow) then left at the next lights into Spencer Park/Windmill
Road/ Earlsfield Road/Penwith Road. Right at the T junction into Merton
Road then 4th left into Replingham Road. Follow this to the top of the
hill past Southfields station and turn right into Beaumont Road. This
brings you out on the A3 just before Tibbet's Corner going south, and you
can go round the roundabout and approach Putney down Putney Hill. Of
course it depends on which part of Putney you're going to and the traffic
in general, but this route is fairly free flowing.

--
*On the other hand, you have different fingers.

Dave Plowman London SW 12
RIP Acorn
Old September 14th 03, 10:05 AM posted to uk.rec.driving,uk.transport.london

(nmtop40) wrote in message . com...
My immediate instinct is to go down the A10 until Seven Sisters, then
the A503 through Camden, towards and around Regents Park into Baker
Street, right into Marylebone Road, left into Old Marylebone Road and
across into Sussex Gardens, left into Sussex Place eventually through
Hyde Park, across Kensington Gore, right into Prince Consort Road and
eventually cross the A4 at Gloucester Road, leading to Cranley Gardens
and Elm Park Gardens until you get to Kings Road where I turn right
until I reach Putney Bridge.

actually you wouldn't want to stay on the A10 until Seven Sisters.

You would either take the A1055 until Tottenham Hale then join the
A503 there.

But if you are on the A10 (Great Cambridge Road) then you'd be better
off joining the A1080 up to Wood Green then join the A105 to Manor
House and the A503 there.

If you don't fancy the A105 between Wood Green and Manor House then
you could use A504 to Hornsey and the parallel Wightman Road to the
top then left into Endymion Road to rejoin the A105, or alternatively
take the A504 a bit further then left into A103 Tottenham Lane and
through Crouch End and Hornsey Road until you rejoin the A503.

However having already joined the A103, why not turn right into
Hornsey Lane and cross Highgate High Road into Dartmouth Park Hill
then right onto the A400 (Fortress Road) at Tufnell Park until you
finally meet up with the A503 right near the end at Camden Town.

A final diversion is to turn right from Dartmouth Park Hill into
Chester Road or Chetwynd Road leading to Gordon House Road and
Mansfield Road, then past the light and left into Parkhill Road. Right
into Haverstock Hill (A502) and immediate left into England's Lane,
follow the road and across Adelaide Road into Primrose Hill Road and
round Primrose Hill until you turn right into St Marks Square to get
to Prince Albert Road, then right and left at next traffic light into
Regents Park.
Old September 14th 03, 11:25 AM posted to uk.rec.driving,uk.transport.london

AstraVanMan wrote:
Not completely sure of traffic flows around Docklands on a Saturday,
but can't imagine it'd be too bad - I reckon the best way would be
A24/A3 to the Elehpant and Castle, around to Tower Bridge, then up the
Highway, Limehouse Link/Aspen Way, then A12 / A406.

Not sure about all of your route, but I regularly go from Balham to Kings
Cross on a Saturday afternoon, and find that crossing at Battersea bridge
and using the North Embankment route up to Blackfriars by far the quickest
- in both directions. The rare large demonstration round parliament
obviously excepted, though.

Maybe, but I'd probably use the A11 to link the A12 to Tower Bridge,
or possibly (from town) A11-A107-A106

And it's better to use the A114 and A104 (via Whipps Cross hospital)
to link the A12 to the A406.
Old September 14th 03, 12:22 PM posted to uk.rec.driving,uk.transport.london

actually you wouldn't want to stay on the A10 until Seven Sisters.

You would either take the A1055 until Tottenham Hale then join the
A503 there.

If I was to do the same journey again that's what I would have done, as the
place I was going from is quite near the A1055 near Enfield Lock.

But if you are on the A10 (Great Cambridge Road) then you'd be better
off joining the A1080 up to Wood Green then join the A105 to Manor
House and the A503 there.

That's Green Lanes through Harringay isn't it? Not too keen on that myself.

If you don't fancy the A105 between Wood Green and Manor House then
you could use A504 to Hornsey and the parallel Wightman Road to the
top then left into Endymion Road to rejoin the A105, or alternatively
take the A504 a bit further then left into A103 Tottenham Lane and
through Crouch End and Hornsey Road until you rejoin the A503.

Has Wightman Road got speed humps?

However having already joined the A103, why not turn right into
Hornsey Lane and cross Highgate High Road into Dartmouth Park Hill
then right onto the A400 (Fortress Road) at Tufnell Park until you
finally meet up with the A503 right near the end at Camden Town.

A final diversion is to turn right from Dartmouth Park Hill into
Chester Road or Chetwynd Road leading to Gordon House Road and
Mansfield Road, then past the light and left into Parkhill Road. Right
into Haverstock Hill (A502) and immediate left into England's Lane,
follow the road and across Adelaide Road into Primrose Hill Road and
round Primrose Hill until you turn right into St Marks Square to get
to Prince Albert Road, then right and left at next traffic light into
Regents Park.

Cheers for all this - all this knowledge will come in very handy one day.

Peter