Old August 20th 08, 11:07 AM posted to uk.transport.london
MIG MIG is offline

Default Hey ho, hey ho, its off to strike we go...

On Aug 20, 10:57*am, John B wrote:
On Aug 20, 9:25 am, MIG wrote:

I'd be interested to know what the arguments against Bob Crow's
position on supporting his members might be, but no such reasoned
argument seems to be forthcoming.

British union leaders traditionally behaved like Crow. Understandably,
companies sought to replace their workforce with machines, foreigners
employed abroad, and foreigners employed here. As a result of that,
although plenty of British-designed goods are still manufactured, many
by British companies and quite a few in the UK, manufacturing
employment is at its lowest since the Industrial Revolution.

Thanks (for making an argument).

We obviously see it a bit differently. From your point of view, the
decline (or destruction) of British industry is due to outdated and
unreasonable demands of the unions that forced helpless companies to
look elsewhere.

From my point of view, British industry continues to be deliberately
destroyed by governments (from Thatcher onwards most spectacularly) to
remove any bargaining power from those resisting the unbridled greed
of multinational companies.

On the face of it, neither of us can easily prove our case (and there
might be various amounts of truth in both), but the evidence might be
found by looking at where the wealth and power really is.

Old August 20th 08, 02:05 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Wed, 20 Aug 2008, MIG wrote:

On Aug 20, 12:05*am, " wrote:
On Aug 19, 11:28 pm, MIG wrote:

On Aug 19, 10:27 pm, Edward Cowling London UK

wrote:
In message
,
Boltar writes..

Mr Bobbys performance related bonus must be due soon. Obviously the
strike quota hasn't been met this year so something needs to be done!

He does seem like a drunk on a Saturday night strutting up the street
with his medallion swinging and shouting "who you looking at" at the
passers by. Just out to cause trouble !!

No he doesn't.

Oh yes he does!

I like chips.

HE'S BEHIND YOU!

tom

--
But for [Flavor Flav's] "YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAH BOYYYYYYYYYY"s alone he should
be given Rap Legend status. -- Nate Patrin, ILX
Old August 20th 08, 02:17 PM posted to uk.transport.london
MIG MIG is offline

On Aug 20, 3:05*pm, Tom Anderson wrote:
On Wed, 20 Aug 2008, MIG wrote:
On Aug 20, 12:05*am, " wrote:
On Aug 19, 11:28 pm, MIG wrote:

On Aug 19, 10:27 pm, Edward Cowling London UK

wrote:
In message
,
Boltar writes..

Mr Bobbys performance related bonus must be due soon. Obviously the
strike quota hasn't been met this year so something needs to be done!

He does seem like a drunk on a Saturday night strutting up the street
with his medallion swinging and shouting "who you looking at" at the
passers by. Just out to cause trouble !!

No he doesn't.

Oh yes he does!

I like chips.

HE'S BEHIND YOU!

Nice chap. Shared his chips with me. (I declined a bite of the baby
he was eating.)
Old August 20th 08, 02:55 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Aug 20, 3:17 pm, MIG wrote:
He does seem like a drunk on a Saturday night strutting up the street
with his medallion swinging and shouting "who you looking at" at the
passers by. Just out to cause trouble !!

No he doesn't.

Oh yes he does!

I like chips.

HE'S BEHIND YOU!

Nice chap. Shared his chips with me. (I declined a bite of the baby
he was eating.)

I hope they hadn't picked up too much of the taste of his shoulder.

--
John Band
john at johnband dot org
Old August 20th 08, 06:16 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message
, MIG
writes

He does seem like a drunk on a Saturday night strutting up the street with
his medallion swinging and shouting "who you looking at" at the passers
by. Just out to cause trouble !!

According to the BBC he's got them a better off which he's recommending be
accepted...

It's very unfair of you to use facts like this to spoil everyone's
game of coming up with non-sequiturs for the gratuitous abuse of Bob
Crow.

Don't play him as the injured innocent. The guy is almost a spitting
image puppet of a 1970s dodgy trade union guy. I'm sure I once heard him
talk about the "aspirations of his members" :-)

--
Edward Cowling "Must go - Bad attack of the Klingons !!"

Old August 21st 08, 06:52 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 20 Aug, 12:07, MIG wrote:
From my point of view, British industry continues to be deliberately
destroyed by governments (from Thatcher onwards most spectacularly) to
remove any bargaining power from those resisting the unbridled greed
of multinational companies.

Really? I think you'll find governments in the past have bailed out a
lot of british industry including British leyland despite the unions
being bloody minded sods with constant strikes, work to rule and ****
poor quality of product. I'll be generous and assume Red Robbo thought
he was doing his workers a favour. In the end though all he did was
cause our main car manufaturer to have a 30 year slide into oblivion.

Also ask yourself why Thatcher so hated the coal miners. Was it their
holding the country to ransom in the 70s? I remember the power cuts
because of them. The *******s had it coming.

B2003

Old August 21st 08, 10:39 PM posted to uk.transport.london
MIG MIG is offline

On Aug 21, 7:52*pm, Boltar wrote:
On 20 Aug, 12:07, MIG wrote:

From my point of view, British industry continues to be deliberately
destroyed by governments (from Thatcher onwards most spectacularly) to
remove any bargaining power from those resisting the unbridled greed
of multinational companies.

Really? I think you'll find governments in the past have bailed out a
lot of british industry including British leyland despite the unions
being bloody minded sods with constant strikes, work to rule and ****
poor quality of product. I'll be generous and assume Red Robbo thought
he was doing his workers a favour. In the end though all he did was
cause our main car manufaturer to have a 30 year slide into oblivion.

Funny that when Ford wanted to cut its workforce in Europe a few years
ago, it sacked the ones in Dagenham rather than the ones in Germany.

This wasn't because of efficiency, because the Dagenham workers were
more efficient.

It was because the unions were weaker in the UK and there was less
legal protection.

When they want to sack workers, they don't care how good they are,
they just care how easy they are to sack, and the weaker the unions
are, the more the multinational companies will wreck communities
wherever they feel like it.

Big business isn't interested in "the country", it has far wider
interests, and governments are only interested in sucking up to big
business (and many ministers see their role as a long job interview).
Old August 22nd 08, 07:57 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Wed, 20 Aug 2008 01:25:14 -0700 (PDT), MIG
wrote:

He is a rare example of a union leader who actually does his job
instead of chasing a knighthood.

His job is to pointlessly victimise millions of Londoners?
Old August 22nd 08, 03:03 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , James Farrar
writes
wrote:

He is a rare example of a union leader who actually does his job
instead of chasing a knighthood.

His job is to pointlessly victimise millions of Londoners?

You can get paranoid about it all. The other morning I got turfed off
the Victoria Line because of...

1. Points trouble at Euston

or 2. Trouble in the Seven Sisters area.

Probably the driver had fancied a sickie. Then I was on the Northern
Line
to Warren Street and it got held up for a defective train.

Arrrgh. You almost expect a voice to say.

"And it's no good trying to walk because Bob Crow has dug pits
with bungie sticks in along the whole Euston Road"

;-)

--
Edward Cowling "Must go - A Grue Is About To Eat Me !!"

Old August 22nd 08, 03:22 PM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote:

He is a rare example of a union leader who actually does his job
instead of chasing a knighthood.

His job is to pointlessly victimise millions of Londoners?

His job is to protect the interests of his members. If victimising
Londoners is, in his view, the best thing to do to protect his members
his duty is clear.

Personally, I think it's a short term attitude that will bite him later.

--
Shenanigans! Shenanigans! Best of 3!
-- Flash