Old December 21st 08, 10:02 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default district line closing time

On Dec 20, 4:57*pm, Mizter T wrote:
On 20 Dec, 16:42, "John Rowland"

wrote:
Mizter T wrote:
On 20 Dec, 14:51, "John Rowland"
wrote:

Larry wrote:

Do you think the St. Pancras International station is a nice play
to have a meal and take some rest?

Apparently the station is now surrounded by lots of new French
restaurants.

Eurostar shooting themselves in the foot there somewhat...

Eurostar doesn't own all of the shops in the Kings Cross area.

True - I thought you may have been referring to eateries within St
Pancras station, to which I haven't paid a great deal of attention.

Can anyone recommend one of these new French restaurants at all? Not
that the OP, having just come from Paris, will really need such a
recommendation... so can anyone recommend a good restaurant offering
traditional British dishes in Kings Cross? I can't immediately think
of one I must admit. I recall there being a decent looking place in
the new Regent's Quarter development just north of Pentonville Road,
but I think it's Spanish.

I've had a very good meal at the St Pancras Grand (on the west side of
the upper level of St P) -- some quite traditional British dishes with
a modern twist. It's not cheap but no more than any other half-decent
London restaurant (£11-15 for most main courses).

Old December 21st 08, 10:24 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 21 Dec, 21:14, wrote:
In article
,

(sweek) wrote:
On 21 Dec, 11:46, wrote:
That was why I advised taking the first train to Edgware Road and
changing there if it is a Hammersmith and City. The Piccadilly is
much slower and the time taken to get down to deep level and back
can't be ignored either.

If the Piccadilly is much slower, than why does TfL recommend this
route?

Because it doesn't.

King's Cross St. Pancras to Fulham Broadway is 26 minutes via the
Piccadilly and a change at Earl's Court vs. around 31 minutes for
the District/Circle route. Plus the potentially much longer wait for
the 6 tph between Edgware Road and Wimbledon vs. 24 trains per hour
on the Piccadilly and at least 12 tph on the last bit of the District
from Earl's Court.

Hmm. Not what the TfL journey planner says here. I put in St Pancras
International to Fulham Broadway which adds 7 or 8 minutes walking (the
extra minute to get to the Piccadilly Line) to get to the tube from SPI.
The times, including the walk, are 36 minutes via the Piccadilly and 35
minutes via the Circle and District or the Victoria and District.

What you are overlooking is that the last place you want to get on a
District train to Fulham Broadway when there is a match at Stamford Bridge
is Earls Court. Trains get very crowded there so you don't get a seat for
certain and quite likely don't even get onto the first Wimbledon train.
Far better to get on one at Edgware Road/Paddington or at Victoria.

But it's only two stops from Earl's Court to Fulham B'way!! A few
minutes standing is I dare say unlikely to be a massive issue for the
OP, not least because he didn't mention any issues of lack of mobility
at all, and I suspect he's likely to spend at least some portion of
the match on his feet as well!

I certainly appreciate the argument about having secured a position
for oneself on a Wimbledon-bound train before it reaches Earl's Court,
and I freely admit that I don't have much experience of travelling
from/to/via Earl's Court on a match day. However my suspicion is that
it's simply more a case of just packing oneself in on a crowded train
along with the rest of the crowd for a couple of stops, comfort not
being a priority for such a short space of time - and no big deal if
you need to wait for the second train.

The other option of course would be to walk from Earl's Court to the
ground - see my other reply on this.

I can see advantages in both the Circle/District line and the
Piccadilly line routes, with a different emphasis on things depending
upon whom the traveller is - e.g. old hand or first time visitor.
Perhaps in part the decision will be made according to whether the OP
wishes to take a bus trip through central London or not - if he does,
then going via Edgware Road/ Paddington is no longer on the cards.
Old December 21st 08, 10:28 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 21 Dec, 23:02, Rupert Candy wrote:

On Dec 20, 4:57*pm, Mizter T wrote:

(snip)

Can anyone recommend one of these new French restaurants at all? Not
that the OP, having just come from Paris, will really need such a
recommendation... so can anyone recommend a good restaurant offering
traditional British dishes in Kings Cross? I can't immediately think
of one I must admit. I recall there being a decent looking place in
the new Regent's Quarter development just north of Pentonville Road,
but I think it's Spanish.

I've had a very good meal at the St Pancras Grand (on the west side of
the upper level of St P) -- some quite traditional British dishes with
a modern twist. It's not cheap but no more than any other half-decent
London restaurant (£11-15 for most main courses).

Thanks for that - that's one to bear in mind for the future, and of
course it has the added advantage that it's actually in the station.
Old December 22nd 08, 07:24 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 22 Dec, 01:22, wrote:

In article
,

(Mizter T) wrote:
But it's only two stops from Earl's Court to Fulham B'way!! A few
minutes standing is I dare say unlikely to be a massive issue for the
OP, not least because he didn't mention any issues of lack of mobility
at all, and I suspect he's likely to spend at least some portion of
the match on his feet as well!

I certainly appreciate the argument about having secured a position
for oneself on a Wimbledon-bound train before it reaches Earl's Court,
and I freely admit that I don't have much experience of travelling
from/to/via Earl's Court on a match day. However my suspicion is that
it's simply more a case of just packing oneself in on a crowded train
along with the rest of the crowd for a couple of stops, comfort not
being a priority for such a short space of time - and no big deal if
you need to wait for the second train.

I seem to have a habit of staying at my mother's when Chelsea are playing
at home. The District gets very crowded and you can fail to get on at
least one train at Earls Court if not more.

I agree that standing isn't that much of an issue.

A friend of mine has the most fantastic uncanny ability to always
travel at the precise point in time and through just the right places
so as to get caught up with football traffic - whether he's travelling
by public transport, in the car, or indeed even by bicycle or on foot!
He is always doing it, we have come to the conclusion he's cursed.
It's not just football matches either - he gets caught up in the
kicking out time melees after pop concerts at Wembley and the Dome,
after exhibitions at Earl's Court and Excel, after late night closing
at the mega shopping centres at White City and Brent Cross, after
rugby games at Twickers, cricket at Lord's and the Oval, athletics
meets at Crystal Palace, fireworks on Blackheath... if I am
exaggerating it is only very slightly that I do so!