Old March 22nd 09, 02:55 PM posted to uk.transport.london
MIG MIG is offline

Default Complusory Bus Stops

On Mar 22, 1:01*pm, (Neil Williams)
wrote:
On Sun, 22 Mar 2009 12:32:11 +0000, Roland Perry
wrote:

Deaf and blind people are disabled too.

True, though deaf people are unlikely to need the additional time to
alight that is the purpose of that button, nor to need the ramp.

Blind people, OTOH, probably do, but unless they already know where
that specific button is (by the wheelchair space) are unlikely to use
it, IMO.

And abled people crammed into that space at busy times aren't likely
to (be able to) fight their way to a different coloured button.

Old March 22nd 09, 04:43 PM posted to uk.transport.london

The message
from contains these words:

"MIG" wrote in message

Incidentally, there are occasions where the only button I can reach is
a blue one. Does this result in the driver looking out for someone
disabled?

You mean, somebody in a wheelchair? Unlikely as the driver would certainly
have noticed earlier if a wheelchair user had boraded a bus.

As a wheelchair user, I can tell you that they forget about us quite often...

--
Helen Vecht
Edgware
Old March 23rd 09, 05:27 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On 23 Mar 2009 02:11:27 GMT, James Farrar
wrote:

Most bus routes in London don't operate to exact timetables.

I thought they did, but that it was not advertised.

Neil

--
Neil Williams
Old March 23rd 09, 07:50 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In message of Fri, 20 Mar 2009
15:14:05 in uk.transport.london, Walter Briscoe
writes
In message of Fri, 20 Mar
2009 13:00:23 in uk.transport.london, Batman55
writes
"Roland Perry" wrote in message
In message , at 11:25:20 on Fri, 20 Mar
2009, Barry Salter remarked:
There was a proposal floated that ALL bus stops would be treated as a
hybrid of the two types, based on observation of "normal" practice.
Namely:

1) All buses SHOULD stop at a bus stop if it looks like someone wishes to
board.

[snip]

I've just sent the following email to
with the subject "Bus and
Request stops":

I've just spoken to a helpful lady at TfL Surface Transport on the
difference between Bus Stops and Request Stops.
My understanding from this conversation is:
a) Bus stop flags at Bus Stops consist of a red roundel on a white
background with "Bus Stop" underneath; bus stop flags at Request Stops
consist of a white roundel on a red background with "Request Stop"
underneath.
b) Buses will stop without a signal for pedestrians waiting at Bus
Stops; buses will not stop without a signal for pedestrians waiting at
request stops.
c) A signal is needed from passengers wishing to alight from buses at
both Bus Stops and Request Stops.

This was not covered in the conversation, but I believe: buses will not
pass buses stopped at stops unless the drivers can see no pedestrians
are waiting, the bus is full or for other good reasons I can't think of.
Please confirm this.

I was told that documentation on this is not yet publicly published.
Please do so on the web and inform me of the URL.

In the meantime, please take this as a Freedom of Information Act
request to make such documentation available to me.

You have my mailto; my PSTN number is (020) xxxx xxxx; my snail mail
address is: xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, xxxxxxxx, London xxxx xxx.

I forgot to ask a question about buses running early on publicly
timetabled services. About a month ago, I took a U1 - which operates a
15 minute interval service - from West Ruislip to Ruislip. The bus was 2
minutes early and I noted this to the driver who waited half a minute
before continuing. I did not pursue the matter; I rarely go so far.

When I get a response, I will summarise it here. Don't hold your breath.
I believe 20 working days are allowed for a response.
--
Walter Briscoe

Old March 23rd 09, 11:03 AM posted to uk.transport.london

b) Buses will stop without a signal for pedestrians waiting at Bus
Stops;

Those whose offices are 55 Broadway or Windsor House or wherever these
naive twits now inhabit really are detached from reality!

but I believe: buses will not
pass buses stopped at stops unless the drivers can see no pedestrians
are waiting, the bus is full or for other good reasons I can't think of.

Yes, and I believe in the tooth fairy too!

At Clapham Junction, the first stop leaving the terminating point is a
Compulsory stop in Falcon Lane, where there are often numerous buses
jamming up the area around the stop itself. Sometimes, I have to
pyhsically stand in the middle of the road, at the risk of being run
over, to prevent a 295 from NOT stopping there, even though the driver
cannot, obviously, know that some of the crowd of people at the bus
stop want to get on! The same is true at the Southbound stop at
Notting Hill Gate, where often a number of buses are congregated, and
unless physically stopped, a 28, for example, will happily sail past
without even checking if anyone wants to board.

Marc.

Old March 23rd 09, 02:11 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message
of
Mon, 23 Mar 2009 05:03:43 in uk.transport.london, "
writes
b) Buses will stop without a signal for pedestrians waiting at Bus
Stops;

Those whose offices are 55 Broadway or Windsor House or wherever these
naive twits now inhabit really are detached from reality!

So take a little time to make them so aware.

but I believe: buses will not
pass buses stopped at stops unless the drivers can see no pedestrians
are waiting, the bus is full or for other good reasons I can't think of.

Yes, and I believe in the tooth fairy too!

I've seen different things too. At places where I care, I complain. It
costs very little to fill in/out one of TfL's email forms. It gives
ammunition for those who disburse our money to the contractors who
provide the service. I've had trouble, today, getting to
http://http://www.tfl.gov.uk/helpandcontact

At Clapham Junction, the first stop leaving the terminating point is a
Compulsory stop in Falcon Lane, where there are often numerous buses
jamming up the area around the stop itself. Sometimes, I have to
pyhsically stand in the middle of the road, at the risk of being run
over, to prevent a 295 from NOT stopping there, even though the driver
cannot, obviously, know that some of the crowd of people at the bus
stop want to get on! The same is true at the Southbound stop at
Notting Hill Gate, where often a number of buses are congregated, and
unless physically stopped, a 28, for example, will happily sail past
without even checking if anyone wants to board.

You're a braver man than I!

What response did you get to the complaints you made about this
behaviour at those stops?

The service number and time is probably enough to identify a bus. The
registration number is good confirming information. The running number
is probably not going to be seen by you. This is usually of the form
AB123 and either on the door side of the bus or on a card in the front
windscreen.

You can either phone TfL Surface Transport at 0845 300 7000 and select
option 1 on the voice menu or contact
. I used to have the sort of
trouble you report at the northbound stop at the southern end of London
Bridge. I complained about a particular bus; I have not had to complain
again.

I do a lot of complaining about buses; I estimate the complaint rate at
less than 5%. If others did more, I could do less.

Marc.

--
Walter Briscoe
Old March 24th 09, 08:04 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Paul Corfield wrote in
:

wrote:

Most bus routes in London don't operate to exact timetables.

I thought they did, but that it was not advertised.

You're correct - to see the detailed timetable for almost every route
in London take a trip along to
www.londonbusroutes.net and select
operational details and click on a route number.

Pretty much every route I use has a note on it that reads "This route is
classed as high frequency, and as such controllers will endeavour to
provide an even service rather than necessarily adhering exactly to the
times shown."
Old March 25th 09, 11:48 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Mon, Mar 23, 2009 at 07:11:05PM +0000, Paul Corfield wrote:

You're correct - to see the detailed timetable for almost every route in
London take a trip along to www.londonbusroutes.net and select
operational details and click on a route number.

Ooh, very useful - thanks!

We found no search results for "crotchet". Did you mean "crotch"?
Old March 25th 09, 05:58 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Wed, 25 Mar 2009 12:38:16 +0000, David Cantrell
wrote:

I suppose I should put in some complaints about drivers not announcing
that the next stop is closed.

I've seen these, but "the next stop is closed" is useless to probably
about half of passengers who might want it, unless announced while at
the previous one with the doors open (and remaining open long enough
for changes of mind).

And why can't iBus just be told that a particular stop is closed for a
particular route, then the announcements work automatically? It
doesn't seem a difficult thing to do - nor would the one about "The
destination of this bus has changed" to be automatically followed by a
"NN to XX" announcement, which it isn't, but again while at a stop to
allow changes of mind.

Mind you, at least we *have* iBus. MK Metro have just installed
satellite tracking, but have failed to be bothered to install an
on-bus PIS to go with it.

Neil

--
Neil Williams