Old June 9th 09, 01:40 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Tube strike: clarification of start time(s)?

wrote:

Though we live in hope that 1 or 2 of them may grow a pair, ignore
the RMT ******* and actually turn up for work but I won't hold my
breath.

I know a tube driver who always turns up for work during strikes. I suspect
there is a second one too.

Old June 9th 09, 01:47 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Jun 9, 1:49*pm, "Recliner" wrote:

"Mizter T" wrote:

If RMT bods really had wanted to time the strike to coincide with an
England football match, then it would have been an away football match
- i.e. overseas, not at Wembley. Instead, I'd actually say the timing
seems particularly counter-productive as it will manage to raise the
ire of many more people apart from London commuters, as those watching
the match at home ('tis on ITV) will be well aware that it's the RMT's
actions that will have led to the stadium being half-empty - something
that never looks good on TV and will undoubtedly be referred to by
commentators and newspapers so football fans will know where the blame
lies.

But surely Brother Crow loves such opportunities to publicly demonstrate
his power?

Maybe. Doesn't help to win over the fellow football-supporting working
man and woman though, does it?
Old June 9th 09, 02:43 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Jun 9, 2:34*pm, wrote:
Though we live in hope that 1 or 2 of them may grow a pair, ignore the RMT
******* and actually turn up for work but I won't hold my breath.

And can someone explain why Aslef members arn't showing up? Theres enough of
them to run a bit more than a skeleton service. Or are they showing "solidarity"
or whatever lefty ******** phrase is trendy these days with their "brothers"
in the RMT even though they didn't vote for a strike? In which case why don't
they just join the RMT.

AIUI Aslef and TSSA staff will show up as normal, but because critical
functions like signalling are dominated by RMT members they're
unlikely to be able to run many trains.

Taking a strike day off when you're not a member of the union that
voted for it is legally not on, post-Thatcher.

--
John Band
john at johnband dot org
Old June 9th 09, 02:53 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Jun 9, 3:43*pm, wrote:

On Jun 9, 2:34*pm, wrote:

Though we live in hope that 1 or 2 of them may grow a pair, ignore the RMT
******* and actually turn up for work but I won't hold my breath.

And can someone explain why Aslef members arn't showing up? Theres enough of
them to run a bit more than a skeleton service. Or are they showing "solidarity"
or whatever lefty ******** phrase is trendy these days with their "brothers"
in the RMT even though they didn't vote for a strike? In which case why don't
they just join the RMT.

AIUI Aslef and TSSA staff will show up as normal, but because critical
functions like signalling are dominated by RMT members they're
unlikely to be able to run many trains.

I thought there had been some knowledgeable talk that Aslef members
might refuse to cross RMT picket lines?

Taking a strike day off when you're not a member of the union that
voted for it is legally not on, post-Thatcher.

And then I'd wondered about that very point.
Old June 9th 09, 03:09 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Jun 9, 3:53*pm, Mizter T wrote:
AIUI Aslef and TSSA staff will show up as normal, but because critical
functions like signalling are dominated by RMT members they're
unlikely to be able to run many trains.

I thought there had been some knowledgeable talk that Aslef members
might refuse to cross RMT picket lines?

Hadn't seen anything here, but that doesn't mean nobody's mentioned
it. I'd based my assertion on the rules plus the fact I hadn't heard
anything about the above.

Taking a strike day off when you're not a member of the union that
voted for it is legally not on, post-Thatcher.

And then I'd wondered about that very point.

Semi-relatedly, these people reckon that these services will run:
http://londonunlocked.org/?p=870

o Jubilee – no more than 25% running

o Northern – 50-60% running

o Piccadilly – Extreme ends only but not including Heathrow.

o Bakerloo – May be able to run 20% service on Wed; possibility of
running Wembley Central to Baker Street.

o Central – 40-50% of services, perhaps between White City/Ealing
Broadway to Epping.

o Metropolitan – 20% max; due to signalling Aylesbury branch of
Chiltern Line could be affected.

o City and Hammersmith – 13 trains.

o District – Less than 20%.

o Waterloo and City – unlikely to operate.

o Victoria – unlikely to operate.

Based on what, is not entirely clear.

--
John Band
john at johnband dot org

Old June 9th 09, 07:56 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Well as you said - based on what? Look at what has happened already -
the Bakerloo was shut before the official start of the strike - and
I'll be gobsmacked if any of the lines get remotely close to those
predictions. All that has to happen is for there to be no maintenance
cover or no signalling staff and it's irrelevant how many drivers and
station people turn up.

Thanks for all the comments.

Further bleat for the record: TFL's publicity about the Overground
running as usual was silent about station closures (eg Highbury &
Islington). Will the wannabe Damian McBrides ever learn that spin only
works if the punters don't see that it is spin?

Old June 9th 09, 08:17 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Jun 9, 8:56*pm, "neverwas" wrote:
Well as you said - based on what? *Look at what has happened already -
the Bakerloo was shut before the official start of the strike - and
I'll be gobsmacked if any of the lines get remotely close to those
predictions. *All that has to happen is for there to be no maintenance
cover or no signalling staff and it's irrelevant how many drivers and
station people turn up.

Thanks for all the comments.

Further bleat for the record: TFL's publicity about the Overground
running as usual was silent about station closures (eg Highbury &
Islington). *Will the wannabe Damian McBrides ever learn that spin only
works if the punters don't see that it is spin?

The only strike related message on the "Current Overground network
status" page on the TfL website has this to say:
---quote---
A MESSAGE FOR LONDON OVERGROUND (STRIKE ACTION): A full service will
operate with the exception that trains will not stop at Blackhorse
Road as the station is closed. Additional services will operate where
possible.
---/quote---

Apart from the somewhat strange way it's phrased, it makes no mention
of any LUL managed station on the LO network being closed apart from
Blackhorse Road (which Paul C has previously mentioned as likely to
simply be closed).

Or maybe the strange phrasing indicates it's an instruction from on
high to the minions at LO - you *will* run a full service tomorrow,
regardless of the facts on the ground! i.e. it's a kind of exercise of
mind over matter?
Old June 9th 09, 08:41 PM posted to uk.transport.london

To be fair Highbury will be targeted to try to keep it open so let's
wait and see. I have read elsewhere that the working assumption is
that former Silverlink but now LU run stations will be open but
possibly unstaffed - as in Silverlink days and Overground trains will
serve them. Again let's wait and see.

My partner's recollection is that the sign she saw at H&I this afternoon
indicated the station "will be closed". But I'll certainly try to be
fair - if grumpy.

And having seen Mizter T's post, perhaps the sign was the RMT's response
to TFL's mind control exercise. I just hope they haven't both hired
some ex-CIA spook with a good story and a boxful of copies of Catcher in
the Rye.

Old June 10th 09, 03:01 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Jun 9, 9:41*pm, "neverwas" wrote:

To be fair Highbury will be targeted to try to keep it open so let's
wait and see. I have read elsewhere that the working assumption is
that former Silverlink but now LU run stations will be open but
possibly unstaffed - as in Silverlink days and Overground trains will
serve them. Again let's wait and see.

My partner's recollection is that the sign she saw at H&I this afternoon
indicated the station "will be closed". *But I'll certainly try to be
fair - if grumpy.

And having seen Mizter T's post, perhaps the sign was the RMT's response
to TFL's mind control exercise. *I just hope they haven't both hired
some ex-CIA spook with a good story and a boxful of copies of Catcher in
the Rye.

The ex-CIA spook with a (fairly) good story is no longer on the TfL
payroll - Bob Kiley stood down as Transport Commissioner in January
'06, but was kept on as a consultant for some time - however I think
that arrangement ended some time ago. Though I suppose that's what
they'd want you to think...there's some mysterious lines in the TfL
budget, the stationary department buried in the basement of TfL's HQ
doesn't appear to have noticed that there's an economy drive on...
hmm.

The National Rail LDBs for H&I don't indicate that trains are not
stopping there - but that said it's an automated system so wouldn't
necessarily indicate whether or not the station is shut. However,
neither TfL's live travel news pages nor the National Rail disruption
page currently single out H&I as being closed.

Though I don't particularly rate the TfL "Current Overground network
status" page as being on the ball as it doesn't say anything about
North Wembley, Wembley Central or Stonebridge Park being closed this
evening to prevent overcrowding re the England match being played at
Wembley - instead it only mentions Blackhorse Road being closed, and
anyway the NR disruption page currently says this "Blackhorse Road
station is currently open for London Overground services, but may be
closed at short notice."

FWIW, the "Current Overground network status" page is he
http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tfl/livetravel...l/default.html
Old June 10th 09, 06:57 PM posted to uk.transport.london

...there's some mysterious lines in the TfL
budget, the stationary department buried in the basement of TfL's HQ
doesn't appear to have noticed that there's an economy drive on...
hmm.

Oh I *do* wish you hadn't mentioned that. I think I've now got to burn
down the house and head for the Highlands......

FWIW, the "Current Overground network status" page is he
http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tfl/livetravel...l/default.html

yes, thanks. We've been monitoring that but decided to sit the strike
out. (One of the v. few advantages of being late-50s NEETs is the
ability quickly to enter Giant Sloth mode.)