Old June 24th 09, 05:55 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Extended Circle trial this weekend

Noticed on TfL weekend travel a hint that a trial run of the Circle to
Hammersmith 'Teacup' service is happening this weekend. Can anyone
confirm this is the case? There are no 'service changes' displayed for
the Circle, they're just saying for Edgware Rd station:

"Saturday 27 and Sunday 28 June, there is no through Circle line
service. Passengers travelling between Bayswater and Baker Street in
either direction will need to change trains at Edgware Road"

Not the whole story methinks...

Paul

Old June 24th 09, 08:46 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message
s.com of Wed, 24 Jun 2009 10:55:22 in uk.transport.london, Paul Scott
writes
Noticed on TfL weekend travel a hint that a trial run of the Circle to
Hammersmith 'Teacup' service is happening this weekend. Can anyone
confirm this is the case? There are no 'service changes' displayed for
the Circle, they're just saying for Edgware Rd station:

I googled and found it in http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tfl/livetravelnews/real
time/tube/tube-all-weekend.html. How did you navigate there? I can only
get to the iconic report in http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tfl/livetravelnews/re
altime/by-date.aspx?offset=weekend

"Saturday 27 and Sunday 28 June, there is no through Circle line
service. Passengers travelling between Bayswater and Baker Street in
either direction will need to change trains at Edgware Road"

On Saturday, I shall be passing through Edgware Road on the H&C.
I will look for anything unusual.

Not the whole story methinks...

And really quietly publicised, given Good Service is reported to be
expected on the Circle. I think they may already be doing something. I
have noticed clumps of 3 Circle line trains at 4 minute intervals on
platform displays in the past month. I put it down to the usual Circle
confusion.
At Baker Street platform 5 eastbound, I noticed the platform display
reported two successive Circles. The first was a Whitechapel at the
front and on the PA and continued to be so as far as Moorgate, where I
left it. This was last Friday 19/06/09 and I exited Moorgate at 10.16.

I am relieved if the teacup is being trialled.
I would hate it to whimper when put into service.
--
Walter Briscoe
Old June 25th 09, 07:16 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Paul Corfield wrote:

Yes there is a trial of the teacup service this weekend. 12 tph
Hammersmith - Liv St, 6 tph of which is the Hammersmith - Liv St -
Victoria - Edgware Road Circle Line service. Should be fun given the
Picc and District are closed down west of West Ken / Hammersmith for
works at Acton Town and therefore there'll be a revised District service
too. Not sure I'd want to be doing platform duties this weekend at
somewhere like Victoria!

And not forgetting the Met Line works between Northwood and Amersham,
Chesham and Watford (more specifically, Watford South Junction), so the
Met's got a revised service as well, with the Jubilee suspended throughout.

Quick summary of revised SSL services:

Met:
-=-=

Aldgate - Uxbridge : Every 10 minutes
Baker Street - Northwood : Every 10 minutes
Services retimed between Aldgate and Baker Street

District:
-=-=-=-=-

Upminster - Wimbledon : Every 10 minutes
Barking - West Kensington : Every 20 minutes
Tower Hill - West Kensington : Every 20 minutes
Wimbledon - Edgware Road : Every 10 minutes
High Street Kensington - Kensington (Olympia) : Every 15 minutes

H&C:
-=-=

Hammersmith - Whitechapel : Every 10 minutes
Between 14:45 and 18:45 on Saturday, trains will be extended alternately
to/from Barking and Plaistown

Circle:
-=-=-=-

Hammersmith - Edgware Road - Circle Outer Rail - Edgware Road : Every 10
minutes
Edgware Road - Circle Inner Rail - Edgware Road - Hammersmith : Every 10
minutes

Cheers,

Barry
Old June 25th 09, 08:10 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Wed, 24 Jun 2009 10:55:22 -0700 (PDT), Paul Scott
wrote:

Noticed on TfL weekend travel a hint that a trial run of the Circle to
Hammersmith 'Teacup' service is happening this weekend. Can anyone
confirm this is the case? There are no 'service changes' displayed for
the Circle, they're just saying for Edgware Rd station:

"Saturday 27 and Sunday 28 June, there is no through Circle line
service. Passengers travelling between Bayswater and Baker Street in
either direction will need to change trains at Edgware Road"

Not the whole story methinks...

Paul

For those of us not famiiar with this concept could you clarify what
'teacup service' means. I assume it is not a buffet car on each
train. Does it refer to the shape or the route on a map???
Old June 25th 09, 08:31 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Jun 25, 9:10*am, Scott wrote:
For those of us not famiiar with this concept could you clarify what
'teacup service' means. *I assume it is not a buffet car on each
train. *Does it refer to the shape or the route on a map???

Yes. From Barry Salter's post:

Circle:
-=-=-=-

Hammersmith - Edgware Road - Circle Outer Rail - Edgware Road : Every
10
minutes
Edgware Road - Circle Inner Rail - Edgware Road - Hammersmith : Every
10
minutes

Thus the "Circle" line doesn't do a round and round and round service,
but becomes a there-and-back route, albeit with a big loop.

PhilD

Old June 25th 09, 09:06 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Thu, 25 Jun 2009 01:31:10 -0700 (PDT), PhilD
wrote:

On Jun 25, 9:10*am, Scott wrote:
For those of us not famiiar with this concept could you clarify what
'teacup service' means. *I assume it is not a buffet car on each
train. *Does it refer to the shape or the route on a map???

Yes. From Barry Salter's post:

Circle:
-=-=-=-

Hammersmith - Edgware Road - Circle Outer Rail - Edgware Road : Every
10
minutes
Edgware Road - Circle Inner Rail - Edgware Road - Hammersmith : Every
10
minutes

Thus the "Circle" line doesn't do a round and round and round service,
but becomes a there-and-back route, albeit with a big loop.

PhilD

Thanks, I thought it might be something like that. But is this a
permanent change or just an arrangement during engineering works? If
the Circle Line is no longer to be a circle it would need to be
renamed causing massive confusion and departing from about a century
of history.
Old June 25th 09, 09:20 AM posted to uk.transport.london
MIG MIG is offline

wrote:
On Jun 25, 9:10*am, Scott wrote:
For those of us not famiiar with this concept could you clarify what
'teacup service' means. *I assume it is not a buffet car on each
train. *Does it refer to the shape or the route on a map???

Yes. *From Barry Salter's post:

Circle:
-=-=-=-

Hammersmith - Edgware Road - Circle Outer Rail - Edgware Road : Every
10
minutes
Edgware Road - Circle Inner Rail - Edgware Road - Hammersmith : Every
10
minutes

Thus the "Circle" line doesn't do a round and round and round service,
but becomes a there-and-back route, albeit with a big loop.

PhilD

Thanks, I thought it might be something like that. *But is this a
permanent change or just an arrangement during engineering works? *If
the Circle Line is no longer to be a circle it would need to be
renamed causing massive confusion and departing from about a century
of history.- Hide quoted text -

Will be permanent, but seems to be a trial this time.
Old June 25th 09, 09:22 AM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote:
On Jun 25, 9:10*am, Scott wrote:
[...]

Thanks. I take it Boris will organise a competition to choose a new
name then.
Old June 25th 09, 09:43 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Thu, 25 Jun 2009 10:22:12 +0100, Scott
wrote:

Thanks. I take it Boris will organise a competition to choose a new
name then.

AIUI it will still be called the Circle Line.

Neil

--
Neil Williams