Old July 28th 09, 04:57 PM posted to uk.transport.london,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.railway

Default First passenger service journey for LUL 09 stock

On 28 July, 15:41, "Recliner" wrote:
... some of which can be seen (occasionally) in the Acton Museum Depot

The driving ends of two Standard Stocks cars bolted together to form a
double-ended locomotive can be seen on full time static display on the
approach to Epping station (on the left):
http://www.cravensheritagetrains.co.uk/L11.htm

Old July 28th 09, 08:59 PM posted to uk.transport.london
MIG MIG is offline

On 28 July, 17:03, wrote:
In article ,

(Clive) wrote:
In message , Tony Dragon
writes
God, your making me feel my age, I can remember the 'Q' stock on the
District,

So can I. * I can also remember tube stock where the first half of
the driving car was taken up with equipment which went under floor
in 38 stock, but I can't remember what they were called.

Standard stock. In my youth it ran on the Piccadilly, Central and Northern
City lines plus 58 trailers on the Bakerloo to strengthen its trains to 7
cars. Earlier it ran on the Northern and Bakerloo (whole trains) as well.

I also remember the F stock on the East London line.

Standard stock trailers were still running on the Central Line ...
er ... at least till the late 1980s I think. Possibly longer, but at
some point they were replaced by 1938 stock trailers.
Old July 28th 09, 09:00 PM posted to uk.transport.london,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.railway
MIG MIG is offline

On 28 July, 21:48, wrote:
On Tue, 28 Jul 2009 07:13:29 -0700 (PDT), Andy
wrote:

On 28 July, 15:06, Clive wrote:
In message , Tony Dragon
writesGod, your making me feel my age, I can remember the 'Q' stock on the
District,

So can I. * I can also remember tube stock where the first half of the
driving car was taken up with equipment which went under floor in 38
stock, but I can't remember what they were called.

Usually called Standard Stock, although they were anything but
standard, being build from 1923 - 1934 with many detail differences!!
Sometimes referred also referred to as 1923 Stock.

You don't really need to be too old though to remember the other tube
stock with an equipment compartment above the floor though.Many will
have traveled on the Waterloo and City stock delivered in 1940 which
ran until 1993 giving another generation the chance to see stock so
laid out plus the bonus of some still having Southern Railway identity
depicted on ventilation grilles.
*Presumably the Southern had its reasons for sticking with such an
arrangement while the contempary LT 1938 stock was already under
construction and the underfloor concept had been found satisfactory
with *1935 stock trial. *
Would have thought any chance to get more passenger space on the Drain
would have been seized eagerly.

I thought that a bit of the passenger space was still taken up in the
1935 stock, but not the 1938 (although there was quite a big bulge in
the floor).
Old July 28th 09, 09:49 PM posted to uk.transport.london,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.railway

wrote:

On 28 July, 15:06, Clive wrote:
In message , Tony Dragon
writesGod, your making me feel my age, I can remember the 'Q' stock on the
District,

So can I. * I can also remember tube stock where the first half of the
driving car was taken up with equipment which went under floor in 38
stock, but I can't remember what they were called.

Usually called Standard Stock, although they were anything but
standard, being build from 1923 - 1934 with many detail differences!!
Sometimes referred also referred to as 1923 Stock.

or just pre-[19]38 stock due to the aforesaid lack of uniformity. Even
1938 stock wasn't all 1938 stock, some of it (the UNDMs) was 1949
stock, bits of which live on in 1972 stock IIRC.

Old July 28th 09, 09:59 PM posted to uk.transport.london,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.railway

wrote:

On 28 July, 15:06, Clive wrote:
In message , Tony Dragon
writesGod, your making me feel my age, I can remember the 'Q' stock on the
District,

So can I. * I can also remember tube stock where the first half of the
driving car was taken up with equipment which went under floor in 38
stock, but I can't remember what they were called.

Usually called Standard Stock, although they were anything but
standard, being build from 1923 - 1934 with many detail differences!!
Sometimes referred also referred to as 1923 Stock.

Control, brakes etc were standard. They operated as a single fleet, so
you could get a 1923 power car at one end and a 1934 at the other,
with all sorts of stuff in between.

It was the same kind of "standard" you saw on the District Line that
allowed several varieties of earlier clerestory roofed vehicles to run
in the same trains as the later Q stock - which was visually identical
to the O/P/COP Circle and Uxbridge line stock but had the same control
system.

Obvious differences between batches of standard tube stock included
central door pillars on the earliest, grilles vs panels on the side of
the switchgear compartments, etc.

Another confusion is that some standard stock trailers were converted
to use in 1938 stock trains.
Old July 29th 09, 06:40 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In article
,

wrote:

On 28 July, 15:06, Clive wrote:
[...]

I think the point was that the 1940 stock used standard 4-SUB motor bogies.

I thought that a bit of the passenger space was still taken up in the
1935 stock, but not the 1938 (although there was quite a big bulge in
the floor).

No. The 1935 prototypes were the first with underfloor control gear.

--
Colin Rosenstiel
Old July 29th 09, 06:54 AM posted to uk.transport.london
MIG MIG is offline

On 29 July, 07:40, wrote:
In article
,

wrote:

On 28 July, 15:06, Clive wrote:
[...]

Yes, but there was something in the blank area behind the cab. I
never saw inside one, so I don't know what it was. Maybe an
unwindowed passenger space or some bit of equipment protruding (or a
huge cab?).
Old July 29th 09, 02:19 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In article
,
(MIG) wrote:

On 29 July, 07:40, wrote:
In article

,
wrote:

On 28 July, 15:06, Clive wrote:
[...]

A further point was that the Southern was more backwards technically. Not
only did the 1935 and later tubes stocks have Electro Pneumatic brakes,
all the Standard stock was converted to EP brakes before the war. Not only
did the 4-SUBs and W&C stock have straight Westinghouse brakes, the
Southern didn't build new EPB stock until well after the war, with no
retro-fitting either.

I thought that a bit of the passenger space was still taken up in
the 1935 stock, but not the 1938 (although there was quite a big
bulge in the floor).

No. The 1935 prototypes were the first with underfloor control gear.

Yes, but there was something in the blank area behind the cab. I
never saw inside one, so I don't know what it was. Maybe an
unwindowed passenger space or some bit of equipment protruding (or a
huge cab?).

Not from what I recall. By the time I got to see most of the 1935 stock
the DMs with the streamlined cabs had been converted to trailers with flat
ends. The flat-ended DMs were almost identical to 1938 TS. I did travel in
at least one of them.

--
Colin Rosenstiel
Old July 29th 09, 04:21 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

In message , asdf
writes
On Sun, 26 Jul 2009 10:37:55 -0700 (PDT), Andy wrote:

In addition, some kinetic energy will be converted to potential energy
when stopping at stations with a hump (uphill into platform, downhill
out of platform).

I'm aware that the core part of the Central Line has these humps -
does the Vic? Which other tube lines have them?

Certainly the Northern Line does.
--
Clive