Old September 14th 09, 09:34 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default New tube map out

Picked up one at an underground station today - new tube map posters are
also up - quite a lot of design changes made! River Thames has disappeared
and zones are no longer shown.

Nicks

Old September 14th 09, 09:49 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Nicks wrote on 14 September 2009 22:34:32 ...
Picked up one at an underground station today - new tube map posters are
also up - quite a lot of design changes made! River Thames has disappeared
and zones are no longer shown.

Oh dear. The Thames is such a major feature of London, and its omission
doesn't help people to relate the Tube map to the actual geography,
especially around the Isle of Dogs.

As for not showing the zones, that's utterly crazy. It's essential
information for vast numbers of passengers.

The TfL site is still showing the March 2009 edition.

--
Richard J.
Old September 14th 09, 11:07 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Sep 14, 10:34*pm, "Nicks" wrote:
Picked up one at an underground station today - new tube map posters are
also up - quite a lot of design changes made! River Thames has disappeared
and zones are no longer shown.

Nicks

WTF? I mean really, WTF? Is this a misprint I wonder? (If it isn't, I
can see why some could possibly argue about the presence or otherwise
of the rover - though I'd defo keep it - but why make the zones
disappear?)
Old September 14th 09, 11:59 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Sep 15, 12:32*am, Mizter T wrote:

[snip]

On reflection a slightly hyperactive post! I'll reserve judgement
until I get see it properly, but here''s a preview via Flickr:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/blech/3915868255/

Quite radical. Not sure I approve. Maybe I'm a conservative fuddy
duddy.

I see that the Clapham North/ Clapham High Street interchange, which
campaigners fought a long battle to get on the map, is one of the
things that's been swept away. And the Brixton LU/NR interchange is
presented as seamless, when it ain't! And Edgware Road is also now one
big happy station, despite the fact it ain't either. Long way from
Pimlico to Victoria too, for no apparent reason.

Incidentally the pocket map and poster are possibly a bit different,
not sure how though. Here's a fuzzy take on the poster sized version:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/darrenl...94475/sizes/o/
Old September 15th 09, 08:15 AM posted to uk.transport.london
MIG MIG is offline

On 15 Sep, 00:59, Mizter T wrote:
[...]

The bottom line is that simple is good, but not if it's simply wrong.
Zones and interchanges are things that people need to know about in
order to do a journey.

Will there be a corresponding reduction in announcements about keeping
your belongings with you? Thought not. Will they stop putting
advertising projectors and CCTV cameras directly in front of the
platform PIS? Thought not.

As well as the Clapham situation you mention, I note that they've gone
back to pretending that the sole Jubilee/DLR interchange is Canary
Wharf, because it has the same name, when recently they'd acknowledged
that Heron Quays is nearer to Jubilee. No doubt there are many
similar regressive examples.

It does all seem like a terrible mistake.

Old September 15th 09, 11:36 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Mizter T wrote:
On Sep 14, 10:34 pm, "Nicks" wrote:
Picked up one at an underground station today - new tube map posters
are also up - quite a lot of design changes made! River Thames has
disappeared and zones are no longer shown.

Nicks

WTF? I mean really, WTF? Is this a misprint I wonder? (If it isn't, I
can see why some could possibly argue about the presence or otherwise
of the rover...

Near Barking presumably?

Free in the Metro, an optional self adhesive river overlay, or a blue
highlighter...

Paul S

Old September 15th 09, 12:01 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message
, at
01:15:59 on Tue, 15 Sep 2009, MIG
remarked:
Zones and interchanges are things that people need to know about in
order to do a journey.

It's misleading in some places, for example showing a "big gap" between
the Victoria and Picc at Kings Cross, but nothing for the longer walk at
Green Park.
Old September 16th 09, 07:55 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Nicks wrote:
Picked up one at an underground station today - new tube map posters are
also up - quite a lot of design changes made! River Thames has disappeared
and zones are no longer shown.

I'm rather puzzled because this article:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...ered-maps.html

seems to show an 'OLD' map displaying the full extent of the ELLX, but
the 'NEW' map shows the old ELL including river crossing (despite the river
not being shown). Did the Daily Mail get it wrong?

Theo
Old September 16th 09, 08:16 PM posted to uk.transport.london
MIG MIG is offline

On 15 Sep, 12:36, "Paul Scott" wrote:
Mizter T wrote:
On Sep 14, 10:34 pm, "Nicks" wrote:
Picked up one at an underground station today - new tube map posters
are also up - quite a lot of design changes made! River Thames has
disappeared and zones are no longer shown.

Nicks

WTF? I mean really, WTF? Is this a misprint I wonder? (If it isn't, I
can see why some could possibly argue about the presence or otherwise
of the rover...

Near Barking presumably?

Free in the Metro, an optional self adhesive river overlay, or a blue
highlighter...

People are getting all hung up about the river, but the much more
serious and sinister issue is that this is paving the way for the
abolition of travelcards and the restoration (already under way) of
point to point fares calculated by formulas not available to the
public.
Old September 16th 09, 08:22 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Theo Markettos wrote:
Nicks wrote:
Picked up one at an underground station today - new tube map posters
are also up - quite a lot of design changes made! River Thames has
disappeared and zones are no longer shown.

I'm rather puzzled because this article:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...ered-maps.html

seems to show an 'OLD' map displaying the full extent of the ELLX, but
the 'NEW' map shows the old ELL including river crossing (despite the
river not being shown). Did the Daily Mail get it wrong?

Certainly don't think that OLD map has been out in the wild, the full ELL is
a bit of a giveaway in that respect.

The new map does match some pictures I've seen on various sites, except I've
also seen it without the grid lines. The BBC's version is a bit clearer in
fact: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/shared/bsp/h...9_Tube_Map.pdf

The ELL is shown in the Overground colour, with dashed lines denoting under
construction; but if the point of the map is to show where you can travel as
of today, why is it there at all?

I think it has been pointed out somewhere that the pocket map and latest
wall map are slightly different as well...

Paul