Old October 16th 09, 10:04 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london,alt.travel.uk.air

Default Wafted from paradise to Luton Airport

In message
, at
23:45:05 on Thu, 15 Oct 2009, MIG
remarked:
For some of us, some kind of mugging applies to 100% of journeys,
because it happens first time and you don't go back.

You have a very low pain threshold! But like I said the other day, the
same attitude applies to many one-time/never-again users of our trains.
I'm dreading being crammed into the 19.15 from St Pancras tonight[1]. No
doubt the crew will be as cheerful as ever when they meet people with
something slightly wrong with their ticket, and might even get the
buffet going by the time we get to Luton (last week they couldn't get
the till open).

[1] It connects with my E*, I'm not trying to save money by travelling
on the first off-peak train.

Old October 16th 09, 10:13 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london,alt.travel.uk.air

"Neil Williams" wrote in message

On Thu, 15 Oct 2009 09:27:47 +0100, rail
wrote:

As far as ATOC (and the taxman) is concerned, it is a seperate
company. Presumably Megatrain could do similar deals with non
Stagecoach-owned companies if the latter were willing.

It was (may still be) offered on VT at one point, which of course is
only 49% Stagecoach.

Wasn't that only on Virgin Cross Country?

Old October 16th 09, 10:25 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london,alt.travel.uk.air

wrote:

As far as ATOC (and the taxman) is concerned, it is a seperate
company. Presumably Megatrain could do similar deals with non
Stagecoach-owned companies if the latter were willing.

It was (may still be) offered on VT at one point, which of course is
only 49% Stagecoach.

Wasn't that only on Virgin Cross Country?

No, it was on various Virgin services including some cross country, before
the franchise carve up, but is still available on West Coast. I don't think
London - Scotland journeys are available, but London - Birmingham, and
Birmingham to Scotland definitely are...

Paul

Old October 16th 09, 11:00 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london,alt.travel.uk.air

In message
"Tim Fenton" wrote:

"Neil Williams" wrote in message

I wonder what the working conditions are like for easyJet pilots.

Perfectly good, as far as I know. They usually seem happy enough.

EZY have a good relationship with Balpa, whereas FR ... yes, well.

Given FR is an Irish based company, why should it have any relationship with
Balpa?

--
Graeme Wall

This address not read, substitute trains for rail
Transport Miscellany at www.greywall.demon.co.uk/rail
Old October 16th 09, 11:03 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london,alt.travel.uk.air

"MC" wrote in message
ster.com...
"DW downunder" noname wrote in message

"MC" wrote in message
ster.com...
SNIP
Er... this was 20+ years ago. How can you compare your experiences with
modern flying trends. The airline industry and regulations have moved
on enormously since then. Budget airlines were still only a twinkle in
the eyes of a lot of the current budget airline bosses.

Freddie Laker ring a bell? "Skytrain" - now when was that?

Not during the mid - late 80s timeframe we are talking here. It was a
trans-Atlantic service and also had a slightly different operation model
than modern day budget airlines including the fact that tickets were not
bookable and were only sold on a first come first served basis at the
point of departure.

MC

Oh, really!

Budget airlines (without further qualification) have been around for over 20
years. The Laker Skytrain was one example that predates the current crop.
That's all!

Anyone else remember Freddie?

DW downunder

Old October 16th 09, 11:53 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london,alt.travel.uk.air

"MC" wrote in message
[...]

I actually flew on one of his planes! Not the Skytrain but we did a Laker
package holiday to Rome in 1979, flew the same BAC111 both ways.

To placate the man who thinks he is a traction motor, the railway relevance
is that we were originally going to spend a weekend in York (and visit the
Railway Museum) travelling by train but a week in Rome was cheaper!

Old October 16th 09, 12:58 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london,alt.travel.uk.air

On Oct 16, 11:00*am, rail wrote:
EZY have a good relationship with Balpa, whereas FR ... yes, well.

Given FR is an Irish based company, why should it have any relationship with
Balpa?

Because their permanent Stansted staff (their largest site) are
employed in the UK under English law?

DaimlerChrysler was a German-based company, but "we're German, so you
can **** off" wouldn't have got it very far in a fight with the UAW...

--
John Band
john at johnband dot org
Old October 16th 09, 06:15 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london,alt.travel.uk.air

In message
John B wrote:

On Oct 16, 11:00*am, rail wrote:
EZY have a good relationship with Balpa, whereas FR ... yes, well.

Given FR is an Irish based company, why should it have any relationship
with Balpa?

Because their permanent Stansted staff (their largest site) are employed in
the UK under English law?

But does that include pilots?