Showing results 1 to 25 of 37
Search took 0.02 seconds.
Search: Posts made by: M J Forbes
Forum: London Transport January 11th 14, 01:35 PM
Replies: 83
Posted By M J Forbes
Oyster refund at LRH

"Oyster refund at LRH"? That is surprising, given that LRH is the code for La Rochelle airport in France - somewhat outside the zonal area ....
Forum: London Transport October 13th 13, 07:23 AM
Replies: 15
Posted By M J Forbes
SEFT rollout

On Sunday, 13 October 2013 08:21:38 UTC+1, M J Forbes wrote:

reader on one side of the ***reciept***, and if the card is valid, a zero-fare ticket pops out.

Ooops - meant "machine", but my...
Forum: London Transport October 13th 13, 07:21 AM
Replies: 15
Posted By M J Forbes
SEFT rollout

My local bus in Bucks still has no reader and the driver issues zero fare tickets.

Around here (Portsmouth), the two major bus companies have had ITSO-readers for about a year, but both operate...
Forum: London Transport February 6th 12, 07:19 PM
Replies: 17
Posted By M J Forbes
TfL use of English

And,staying with buses, there's the old "No standing forward of this
point" notices - Fair enough, if followed with "whilst the vehicle is
in motion", but many aren't.

If you're not allowed to stand...
Forum: London Transport June 2nd 11, 03:11 PM
Replies: 18
Posted By M J Forbes
Exiotic cars in London?

How they learn to drive such kind of cars?

The same way that you learn to drive any other car - you take lessons
and then you rake a test. If you are taking the thing on a track,
then you may...
Forum: London Transport March 21st 11, 06:43 PM
Replies: 13
Posted By M J Forbes
ticketing question: outboundary travelcards

One thing I'm not sure about is whether you could actually buy said ticket
at the London end - outboundary Travelcards are kinda intended for people
travelling into London, and I believe...
Forum: London Transport February 20th 11, 08:23 PM
Replies: 23
Posted By M J Forbes
Mercedes Black Cabs

Wasn't the god-awful Nissan Serena once proposed as an alternative to
the traditional purpose-built taxis? Or is it me that's now dreaming
(*)

Cheers

Matt

(*) - Or more accurately, having...
Forum: London Transport January 7th 11, 11:18 AM
Replies: 4
Posted By M J Forbes
Victoria line map

Getting back to the original point of the in-car line diagrams, would
this not simply come down to costs? Presumably it'd be cheaper to
order (say) 10000 maps, all printed East - West, rather than...
Forum: London Transport November 30th 10, 08:28 AM
Replies: 25
Posted By M J Forbes
Is Countdown usually this confused?

On Nov 29, 1:13*pm, Offramp wrote:
Couldn't TfL arrange to use the Countdown music for Countdown?

As the bus pulls up the the music would go DA-DA, DA-DA, DADDLY-DA,
Forum: London Transport November 29th 10, 09:55 AM
Replies: 25
Posted By M J Forbes
Is Countdown usually this confused?

The whole thing was a mis-planned waste of money. *As another example,
no displays are provided at the railway station, which is easily in
the top 4 busiest locations on the network. *(This was...
Forum: London Transport November 27th 10, 09:50 AM
Replies: 10
Posted By M J Forbes
LU planning three week block-closures

Have similar things not been done in the past? I remember once seeing
a tube map which had one branch of the Northern Line marked as one way.

Wasn't the entire 'City' branch of the Northern...
Forum: London Transport July 28th 10, 02:50 PM
Replies: 127
Posted By M J Forbes
Does London Underground accept Euros anywhere?

he'd really want from them is a coffee. Lastly, I know there are those
'CoinStar' machines - these are the machines you get in supermarkets
which accept and count up your (Sterling) shrapnel...
Forum: London Transport July 8th 10, 01:47 PM
Replies: 62
Posted By M J Forbes
Paddington barriers again

Seems to me that the bridge connecting 13/14 at Paddington to the H&C/
Circle platforms has always been a nightmare. About 10 years ago, I
was living in Ealing, working in Basingstoke, and commuting...
Forum: London Transport July 8th 10, 12:52 PM
Replies: 6
Posted By M J Forbes
King William Street

This map would be more believable if it did not show the Met line,
Finchley Road station and Finchley Road at a considerable distance from
each other! *How do they do it?

More amusingly,...
Forum: London Transport May 17th 10, 06:15 PM
Replies: 28
Posted By M J Forbes
South West Trains platform signage.

On May 17, 5:37*pm, Neil Williams
wrote:

Next stop, a National Rail livery? :)

Blue and Grey?
Forum: London Transport December 7th 09, 01:31 PM
Replies: 16
Posted By M J Forbes
"Use the full length of the platform" at Tower Hill

And presumably when on a motorway slip road which *says "USE BOTH
LANES" you can only use one at a time as well

Unless you drive like my girlfriend, ignore the road markings, and
take up 50% of...
Forum: London Transport December 11th 08, 11:40 AM
Replies: 56
Posted By M J Forbes
Reading display

The same applies to the slow trains from Pad to Oxford which usually
show terminating at Radley .

'Slow' trains from Southampton Central to Waterloo were always (*)
shown on the departure...
Forum: London Transport August 17th 08, 03:04 PM
Replies: 8
Posted By M J Forbes
Special train on Central Line

For some reason WCML Desiros use "Special" on the ends when "Not in
service" is selected for the side.

Assuming that the PIS on the 350s is the same as SWTs 444/450s, the
driver/guard is able to...
Forum: London Transport August 17th 08, 02:53 PM
Replies: 11
Posted By M J Forbes
Email to Network Rail regarding Liverpool Street

Now that all platforms are barriered, it would be good if a route
between platform 11 and 12 could be opened up (maybe with barrier
gates) to allow easy passage between the two sides of the...
Forum: London Transport July 27th 06, 06:08 PM
Replies: 23
Posted By M J Forbes
Waterloo platforms

That doesn't seem quite right. I am sure that platform 15 is (and has
been for years) used for trains in the Putney direction, not the
Portsmouth direction. Has the above got slightly out of...
Forum: London Transport July 26th 06, 11:12 PM
Replies: 23
Posted By M J Forbes
Waterloo platforms

Ian F. wrote:
Would anyone happen to know from which platform number(s) trains depart
Waterloo for Guildford on a weekday?

When the "new" timetable was introduced in December 2004, the...
Forum: London Transport July 24th 06, 03:52 PM
Replies: 18
Posted By M J Forbes
Which line is most interesting?

Presumably one of the undamaged cars from the set that was involved in
the 7/7 attacks?

Yes, although not entirely undamaged - see http://snipurl.com/tp4t

Thanks for that, John. However...
Forum: London Transport July 24th 06, 03:55 AM
Replies: 18
Posted By M J Forbes
Which line is most interesting?

Richard Kovalcik wrote:
Speaking of interesting bits, there is currently (as of this weekend)
a Piccadilly line car (at least that looks like the profile) sitting
in the yard at Northfields...
Forum: London Transport February 14th 06, 08:38 AM
Replies: 3
Posted By M J Forbes
TV Alert - Map Man

UKTV History, Saturday 00:00-00:30

"Beck

Modern explorer Nicholas Crane travels across eight maps that changed
the face of Britain in a series of geographical challenges through some
of today's...
Forum: London Transport December 19th 05, 10:20 AM
Replies: 6
Posted By M J Forbes
Buying a travelcard on an Oystercard

Nicks wrote:
I find a Zone 6 only annual travelcard suits my needs best (as a bus pass
and covering my regular Hampton Court - Surbiton rail journey) - it's due
for renewal this week (and a big...
Showing results 1 to 25 of 37

Forum Jump