Old February 22nd 07, 06:48 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.rec.subterranea,uk.transport.london

Default Secret Tube Trains under London?

"asdf" wrote

In what conceivable circumstances would members of the Royal Family be
evacuated from Buckingham Place by *tube train*? Of all the modes of
emergency transport, that seem the least likely.

Nuclear attack?

Helo would be faster before the attack and the Tube wouldn't be running
after the attack. The Russians had enough hydrogen bombs targeted on London,
according to newly released files, to pretty much melt the city down to the
bedrock. So much for the CWR...

Old February 22nd 07, 07:06 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.rec.subterranea,uk.transport.london

In message , Andrew Clark
writes
But in what scenario might this option be any better than a road or air
evacuation, or staying out? I can't imagine one.

Gas or other airborne attack.
--
Clive.
Old February 22nd 07, 07:16 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.rec.subterranea,uk.transport.london

On Thu, 22 Feb 2007 19:48:00 -0000, Andrew Clark wrote:

In what conceivable circumstances would members of the Royal Family be
evacuated from Buckingham Place by *tube train*? Of all the modes of
emergency transport, that seem the least likely.

Nuclear attack?

Helo would be faster before the attack [...]

But if the attack took place during the evacuation, I know what I'd
rather be on...
Old February 22nd 07, 07:40 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.rec.subterranea,uk.transport.london

In article , asdf
writes
There are stub platforms, perhaps 4m long, on each line. If a train (in
either direction) stopped at the old starter signal as if it was
stopping at the station, you can enter the driver's cab from the stub
platform.

During WW2 (and perhaps still?) it was possible for someone waiting on
the stub platform to manually replace the signal to red, in order to
"hail" a passing train.

When I did it, the signal was plated as an automatic. The Line
Controller informed the driver of the next train to expect a pickup, and
when the train was heard/seen approaching someone held out a Bardic (or
equivalent) displaying red.

--
Clive D.W. Feather | Home:
Fax: +44 870 051 9937 | Work:
Old February 22nd 07, 07:43 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.rec.subterranea,uk.transport.london

In article , Graeme Wall
writes
So we agree that they do use public transport, just not all varieties.

Not really, special arrangements are made, they get platform and lounge space
for themselves, the first class coach or section of cabin is for their use
only. That can hardly be sensibly referred to as using public transport in
the sense that everyone else does.

In the late 19th century, you could turn up at a station, proffer the
requisite amount, and have a carriage dedicated to yourself or even have
a special train run at your command. Is that public transport? After
all, it's open to any person able to pay the (documented) fare.

--
Clive D.W. Feather | Home:
Fax: +44 870 051 9937 | Work:

Old February 22nd 07, 08:04 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.rec.subterranea,uk.transport.london

In message , at 18:47:44 on Thu,
22 Feb 2007, Graeme Wall remarked:
The Royal family don't travel by public transport because of the
security problems it would pose.

They travel on scheduled trains these days, as well as scheduled
airlines.

But not on tube trains or buses. Much easier to segregate them at
airports and main line stations.

So we agree that they do use public transport, just not all varieties.

Not really, special arrangements are made, they get platform and lounge
space for themselves, the first class coach or section of cabin is for
their use only. That can hardly be sensibly referred to as using public
transport in the sense that everyone else does.

Graeme, do stop wriggling. It's not becoming.

I see you have fallen back into your bad old ways of being insulting

Was that an insult? No, just a mild rebuke.

when you get things wrong.

Sadly, you are the one falling into the old habit. Not admitting when
you are wrong. And such a silly thing to go out on a limb over.
Old February 22nd 07, 08:06 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.rec.subterranea,uk.transport.london

In message , at 19:44:32
on Thu, 22 Feb 2007, Andrew Clark
remarked:
It makes some sense to make a dash to the west by Piccadilly line, perhaps
transferring to a main line train on the outskirts.

But in what scenario might this option be any better than a road or air
evacuation, or staying out? I can't imagine one.

It would probably be more secret. And it depends what the risk is. If it
was a dirty biological bomb in London, and a riot amongst the populace
who were being prevented from leaving for fear of infecting the rest of
the country, it could well be the best of the three options.
Old February 22nd 07, 08:49 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.rec.subterranea,uk.transport.london

In article ,
Clive D. W. Feather wrote:
In article , Graeme Wall
writes
So we agree that they do use public transport, just not all varieties.

Not really, special arrangements are made, they get platform and lounge
space for themselves, the first class coach or section of cabin is for
their use only. That can hardly be sensibly referred to as using public
transport in the sense that everyone else does.

In the late 19th century, you could turn up at a station, proffer the
requisite amount, and have a carriage dedicated to yourself or even have
a special train run at your command. Is that public transport? After
all, it's open to any person able to pay the (documented) fare.

you could also have your own private station.

--
From KT24 - in "Leafy Surrey"

Using a RISC OS computer running v5.11

Old February 22nd 07, 08:49 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.rec.subterranea,uk.transport.london

In message , Roland Perry
writes
It would probably be more secret. And it depends what the risk is. If
it was a dirty biological bomb in London, and a riot amongst the
populace who were being prevented from leaving for fear of infecting
the rest of the country, it could well be the best of the three options.

Look at the way the royal family had Londoners fooled during the Blitz,
by turning up in the East end to see the damage and giving the
impression they were with them by staying in Buck House, when all along
the were in the relative safety of Windsor. You can bet your bottom
dollar that whatever threat is posed to people in general the "Firm"
will have a getaway, probably at your (my?) Expense.
--
Clive.
Old February 22nd 07, 08:55 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.rec.subterranea,uk.transport.london

In message
Roland Perry wrote:

[...]

All right I'll leave you with the fantasy that the Royal family use public
transport just like other people if it pleases you.

--
Graeme Wall
This address is not read, substitute trains for rail.