Old February 25th 07, 10:08 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.rec.subterranea,uk.transport.london

Default Secret Tube Trains under London?

"Clive Coleman." wrote in message
news
In message , Nick Pedley
writes
Something like this website shows? http://www.clouse.org/capitol1.html

No. The photo I had was of a little car capable of carrying about two
people, not enclosed, in a square tunnel and suspended from the ceiling,
if that makes any sense. Looking at the Metro map though reminds me of
where I stayed whilst there (At Crystal).

monorail car with two open-air seats facing each direction of the square
tunnel:
http://www.clouse.org/images/senate01.jpg

Nick

Old February 25th 07, 10:42 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.rec.subterranea,uk.transport.london

"Roland Perry" wrote

People keep trying to deflect the scenario to one of total destruction.
That's not the situation I had in mind. Nor did I expect a transition from
normal to chaos in half an hour.

Then what scenario did you have in mind?

Old February 25th 07, 11:53 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.rec.subterranea,uk.transport.london

In uk.railway Clive Coleman. twisted the electrons to say:
I was pointing out that Trident was being trumpeted as a major coup,
getting Trident at half price, however both the papers and news media
reported the bits that government spin didn't, that we didn't have real
control. It was a figure of speech.

No supporting documentation provided, claim fails ...

I don't ask you to believe it, be gullible if you want.

Well, if you want to believe that 100% independence (which I'll
certainly grant the UK deterrent isn't 100% independent) is logically
equivalent to 100% lack of independence that's up to you ...
Old February 25th 07, 01:04 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.rec.subterranea,uk.transport.london

In message , at 11:42:30 on Sun,
25 Feb 2007, Andrew Clark
remarked:
People keep trying to deflect the scenario to one of total destruction.
That's not the situation I had in mind. Nor did I expect a transition from
normal to chaos in half an hour.

Then what scenario did you have in mind?

I'm sure I've mentioned it several times in the last few days. What are
you trying to do, win the debate by wearing me down?

Briefly: either a small terrorist surprise somewhere else in London,
resulting in a selective evacuation; or a steady build up of tension
with those using the tunnels to be some of the last to leave, after a
relatively orderly shutdown of the system.
Old February 25th 07, 01:44 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.rec.subterranea,uk.transport.london

Halmyre wrote:
In article , says...

Perhaps he is moonlighting. The Civil List isn't what it used to be.

Can you imagine flagging down Phil?

"Cor blimey guv, what is it with all these bloody foreigners coming
over here and pinching our jobs?

I 'ad that Queen Elizabeth in the back the other day"...

Is that why he's called Phil the Greek?

Old February 25th 07, 01:50 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.rec.subterranea,uk.transport.london

In message , Alistair Gunn
writes
No supporting documentation provided, claim fails ...

I don't ask you to believe it, be gullible if you want.

Well, if you want to believe that 100% independence (which I'll
certainly grant the UK deterrent isn't 100% independent) is logically
equivalent to 100% lack of independence that's up to you .

I don't know whether it's me or you, but what I have claimed is what I
have read (or heard) I tried to avoid saying it was hard fact as it is
most probably unprovable, I don't believe this government to be any more
honest than any other especially when it comes to accounting what they
have done with our money. I think the best plan is for me to state
what I think as my opinion and for you to do likewise, maintaining the
status quo.
--
Clive.
Old February 25th 07, 01:57 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.rec.subterranea,uk.transport.london

In message , Roland Perry
writes
Trains have keys? Where do they fit - in the side of the steering
column?

Yes trains at least did have keys and I would expect still do. I have
a set of keys for 38/62 stock, for the old 800s and 63xxs and also a key
for unlocking the desk on Brush, EE, and Crompton locomotives. I don't
know but I have no reason to suspect the use of keys to have changed.
--
Clive.
Old February 25th 07, 02:00 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.rec.subterranea,uk.transport.london

In message , Roland Perry
writes
And these keys are different for each train? Maybe so, but I'd always
thought they were one key that fitted all of them. Isn't it a bit
inconvenient to have a different key for each train if you are
reversing tube trains using the "stepping back" principle (that's where
one driver gets in the far cab and drives the train straight off, while
the original driver walks down the platform to be ready for the next one).

If I were you I'd give up whilst loosing, otherwise you'll fall.
You're just proving your ignorance to everyone else on here.
--
Clive.
Old February 25th 07, 02:14 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.rec.subterranea,uk.transport.london

Arthur Figgis wrote:
Bill Again wrote:
"Arthur Figgis" wrote in message

Case in point. I had an East German visitor staying here for a while
after the Wall came down. He had been a tank driver in the East
German army during the 80's and I asked him what he thought about it
all. He, and his thousands of similarly engaged compatriots, were
sitting there in their massed tanks waiting for the NATO forces to
come pounding eastwards across the German/ German border. I
mentioned that we rather thought that it might be the other way
round. He appeared genuinely astounded to hear this.

(Hello, wot you doing here?!)

That is what I was thinking. What did Ivan think we would do?

What we've done in Iraq!

Old February 25th 07, 02:32 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.rec.subterranea,uk.transport.london

In message , Clive Coleman.
writes

Trains have keys? Where do they fit - in the side of the steering
column?

Yes trains at least did have keys and I would expect still do. I have
a set of keys for 38/62 stock, for the old 800s and 63xxs and also a
key for unlocking the desk on Brush, EE, and Crompton locomotives. I
don't know but I have no reason to suspect the use of keys to have
changed.

LUL trains have a key to open up the controller or reverser. Known as
an RKL220 key as that's the number on the key. It's also part of the
safety procedures as you shut down your train and hand over your RKL220
key to provide protection to staff on the track.

73 stock (at least) also have a Control Key (which looks something like
a spanner) to open up the cab.