Old May 7th 07, 10:17 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

Default Critique my tube map

On Sun, 6 May 2007, MIG wrote:

On May 6, 4:29 pm, Tom Anderson wrote:
On Sun, 6 May 2007, wrote:

http://www.simonclarke.org/lul/maps/lul.gif

Still an excellent map!

The thing about these geographical maps is that, like the way that the
bus maps show the railway routes, they show the geographical locations
of the stations, which are of interest to real publics, but then draw
any old line they like between them

Actually, as Simon mentioned, he's drawn the actual routes of the lines as
well as he can. I recall that in his initial version, he did just draw any
old lines, and there was due complaint, which he has evidently taken on
board.

tom

--
Demolish serious culture!

Old May 7th 07, 10:21 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

On Sun, 6 May 2007, James Farrar wrote:

On Sun, 6 May 2007 12:11:18 +0100, Tom Anderson
wrote:

And, of course, it currently looks rubbish. I need to sort out the
label overlapping, draw in the actual lines (using a spline fit - i'm
not going for true accuracy yet), apply some colour, and then draw in
the rivers and major areas of uninhabited land.

And make it bigger so that the text in the central area is readable

No, i'm going to make the text smaller instead.

tom

--
Demolish serious culture!
Old May 7th 07, 12:15 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

MIG wrote:
On May 6, 12:41 am, "John Salmon" wrote:
I was going to criticise your use of 'critique' as a verb in the
title of this thread, buthttp://www.answers.com/critique&r=67,
although referring to it as 'pretentious jargon', then seems to
suggest that it's becoming an acceptable usage... so I'll shut up and
go to bed.

People have been verbing more and more nouns in recent years.

It's been going on for a very long time. Or is salting you porridge an
anathema to you also?

Old May 7th 07, 03:46 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

MIG wrote:

On May 6, 12:41 am, "John Salmon" wrote:
I was going to criticise your use of 'critique' as a verb in the
title of this thread, buthttp://www.answers.com/critique&r=67,
although referring to it as 'pretentious jargon', then seems to
suggest that it's becoming an acceptable usage... so I'll shut up and
go to bed.

People have been verbing more and more nouns in recent years.

Yup. Grammar's more turnoffandonable.

--
http://gallery120232.fotopic.net/p10589970.html
(66 404 at Carlisle, 24 Jul 2004)
Old May 7th 07, 04:23 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

Sigh, all this verbage is doing my head in!

Old May 7th 07, 09:16 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

I've reworked area around Bank, Liverpool Street, and Moorgate
implementing multiple suggestions - not sure if the map became nicer,
but at least it is more realistic now.

Also, I changed the District line beyond Barking - it was too curved.

And finally, I created a dedicated web page for the map (and future
versions and weekend updates):
http://www.fxfp.com/lib/tube/

:-)

Old May 7th 07, 11:45 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

alex_t wrote:
I've reworked area around Bank, Liverpool Street, and Moorgate
implementing multiple suggestions - not sure if the map became nicer,
but at least it is more realistic now.

Also, I changed the District line beyond Barking - it was too curved.

And finally, I created a dedicated web page for the map (and future
versions and weekend updates):
http://www.fxfp.com/lib/tube/

:-)

Wow, Bank-Monument became complicated now but actually shows how the
different lines are located and how the main passageways goes between
them. Nice work I must say.

I think I need to find something else to complain about now... ;-)

The Circle Line and the Central Line are actually running parallell and
close to each other between Notthing Hill Gate and somewhere between
Bayswater and Paddington. Bayswater and Queensway are located very close
to each other, the entrances are just a few hundred meters apart.
Paddington to Lancaster Gate is not a long walk either. I think the
problem is that you have drawn Baker Street, Marylebone, Edgware Road
and Paddington very long way from the Central Line, maybe you can move
this part of the Circle and Bakerloo Lines down a bit.

--
Olof Lagerkvist
ICQ: 724451
Old May 8th 07, 01:53 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

The Circle Line and the Central Line are actually running parallell and
close to each other between Notthing Hill Gate and somewhere between
Bayswater and Paddington. Bayswater and Queensway are located very close
to each other, the entrances are just a few hundred meters apart.
Paddington to Lancaster Gate is not a long walk either. I think the
problem is that you have drawn Baker Street, Marylebone, Edgware Road
and Paddington very long way from the Central Line, maybe you can move
this part of the Circle and Bakerloo Lines down a bit.

I feel that the next major remake coming up ;-)

Old May 8th 07, 02:51 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

wrote:

And, of course, it currently looks rubbish. I need to sort out the
label overlapping, draw in the actual lines (using a spline fit - i'm
not going for true accuracy yet), apply some colour, and then draw in
the rivers and major areas of uninhabited land.

And make it bigger so that the text in the central area is readable

No, i'm going to make the text smaller instead.

OK, then, I'll print it at a greater enlargement

Tube Map Kat London Transport 33 January 31st 04 10:52 PM
Large Print Tube Map John Rowland London Transport 6 January 13th 04 08:18 PM
Eastenders on the Map Was:Tube Map Jim Brown London Transport 7 January 10th 04 06:22 PM
3D Tube map Dave Arquati London Transport 5 November 19th 03 12:13 PM
Credit card sized tube map... Chris London Transport 17 August 10th 03 02:26 PM