Old January 14th 10, 12:01 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default How is the T-Cup doing...

In article
,
(martin) wrote:

On Jan 13, 11:39*pm, wrote:
In article , ]
(Steve Fitzgerald) wrote:
In message ,
writes

DLTs?

Presumably Deep Level Tubes

Ah! I wouldn't presume to try taking my bike on the deep level
tubes, even in the open sections. The space take is rather more
disproportionate than on surface stock.

He was right about DLT. *We do get a few bikes on west of Barons
Court though.

and you leave them be? Even out of peak hours they could be a real
problem, I'd have thought.

Rules is rules; they's allowed to travel on all open sections. *
It's not for me to disagree.

Well I never! I was wrong all this time. Sorry about that. I thought
the limitation was on the trains not on the lines.

TfL have had, for some time now, a map online of where you can take a
bike on the tube:
http://www.tfl.gov.uk/assets/downloa...e-tube-map.pdf
(it's also displayed at some stations - White City has one)

This page lists other modes of transport which allow cycles:
http://www.tfl.gov.uk/roadusers/cycling/11701.aspx

I've not come across them before, I suspect because, not living in London,
my source of information on this has always mainly been via BR and the
TOCs. Also, was there a time in the past when bikes were only carried on
the surface lines and not on any tube lines?

I note "You must not take a non-folding bicycle onto a moving escalator"
there. I've taken my bike on the escalator up to the street from the
Liverpool St main line concourse to the street. The rebuilding replaced a
step-free route on that alignment which has only been partly replaced
later by a very roundabout route through the Broadgate centre. It's never
caused any problems. You do need to hold the bike correctly, though.

--
Colin Rosenstiel

Old January 14th 10, 06:40 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , at 15:02:59
on Wed, 13 Jan 2010, remarked:

I've only ever seen one lift at King's Cross, that in Euston Road. The
main tube access now is from the concourse and I've not seen any lift
there. I have never seen any sign of your lift 1.

My "lift 1" is a type of lift (ground level to ticket hall) and not a
location of lift. There are three such lifts on my plan ...

http://www.perry.co.uk/images/kx-com...with-lifts.jpg

I'm only talking about access from King's Cross concourse which is not
yet completed.

So you are saying lift C isn't commissioned yet?

.... one of which is TfL's lift "C", the one by the stairs which emerge
next to the ticket office/departure board area on the KX main concourse.

On the left he

http://www.flickr.com/photos/2475974...151686/in/set-
72157622774561995/

There's also this lift, by the entrance not far from the suburban
platforms:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/2475974...135670/in/set-
72157622774561995/

[Photos by Paul C].
Old January 14th 10, 07:09 AM posted to uk.transport.london

http://www.flickr.com/photos/2475974...72157622774561
995/

There's also this lift, by the entrance not far from the suburban
platforms:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/2475974...72157622774561
995/

[Photos by Paul C].

Oh right. I'd never noticed either of them. I thought both staircases were
full width. You learn something new every day.

--
Colin Rosenstiel
Old January 14th 10, 07:09 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In article ,

*Subject:* How is the T-Cup doing...
*From:*

*Date:* Wed, 13 Jan 2010 15:02:59 -0600

In article ,

(Roland Perry) wrote:

In message , at
16:59:15 on Tue, 12 Jan 2010,

remarked:

I must get someone to show me this supposed step-free route

to the
Piccadilly Line at King's Cross.

Northern ticket hall, lift down to new passageways; short lift

down
to platforms. (The only access that's not finished yet is the

lift
down from the old concourse to the Northern Line platforms)

The current access to the Northern ticket hall from King's

Cross main line is not step-free.

There are five that I can think of (are you saying some are

out of
action temporarily). Working around the complex clockwise:

There's a lift just inside the St Pancras extension that goes

up to
the Kent platforms and down to the passageway to the NTH.

There's
another lift by the stairs which come out near the KX Suburban
platforms. The third lift is by the stairs that give access to

the
KX mainlaine concourse near the large departure board, and the
fourth is out by the main road and leads down to the old

concourse,
which is then a level passageway all the way to the NTH. The

fifth
lift is inside the western ticket hall and gives access from

road
level to the barrier level, which connected by a level passage

the old KX tube concourse.

All but the first mentioned are on this diagram I did a year

ago,
from various plans, before it all opened ...

http://www.perry.co.uk/images/kx-com...with-lifts.jpg

(the numbers refer to the kind of lift, not an ordering that

they
are currently using on the signage - which doesn't include my

first
lift because it appears to be regarded as a St Pancras mainline
lift not a tube station lift):

http://www.flickr.com/photos/blech/4147448998/

The only lift from ground level only goes relevantly to the

old tube
concourse which does not have step-free access to the

Piccadilly Line.

That's the fourth one in my list above, top half of lift "D".

You seem to be assuming that the lifts are all completed.

They all seemed to be completed when I looked, the week the NTH
opened (with the one exception of the lift down to the Northern
Line platforms). Of course, two of the surface lifts I mentioned
have been open for several years now.

I've only ever seen one lift at King's Cross, that in Euston Road.
The main tube access now is from the concourse and I've not seen
any lift there. I have never seen any sign of your lift 1.

I'm only talking about access from King's Cross concourse which

is not yet completed.

So you are saying lift C isn't commissioned yet?

I can't see any access to the Northern ticket hall from King's

Cross which is presently open that is not down steps, apart from
the old lift by the front of the station.

There's lifts C and A.

I don't regard as travel via St Pancras as a credible route.

Nor do I, but unfortunately my trains to London terminate in a
distant corner of St Pancras, and that's the best they can do. In
fact, those platforms are further from the St Pancras "Kent Line"
lift...

bottom of lift: http://www.perry.co.uk/images/unmarked-lift.jpg

... than KX Suburban platforms!

Top of the lift on the very left, you can see KX out of the
window:

http://www.perry.co.uk/images/st-pan...igns-north.jpg

And lift A is about halfway between the two.

The lift at the front of King's Cross would be a squeeze with a

bike, by the way.

The lifts aren't designed for bikes, I guess. Just wheelchairs,
buggies and luggage. Taking a bike on the tube as a regular thing
is a tad antisocial, in my view (although OK in an emergency).

The long standing lift out the front of the Kings Cross concourse
is not generous with a buggy and luggage. I've tried it when
helping my daughter and granddaughter from Cambridge to Heathrow.

But I carry my bike up and down stairs. I'd just rather not do

so at a station like Edgware Road where the signage is so crap
you can't be sure which platform you need.

So don't take the bike! (Yes, I know, you won't ever agree not
to).

It's normally a much more practical way round central London.
Quicker than the tube (without these issues) as well as more
predictable.

--
Colin Rosenstiel

--
Colin Rosenstiel
Old January 14th 10, 03:22 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , at 15:02:59
on Wed, 13 Jan 2010, remarked:
So don't take the bike! (Yes, I know, you won't ever agree not to).

It's normally a much more practical way round central London. Quicker than
the tube (without these issues) as well as more predictable.

And so might a motorcycle, but people don't expect to take them on the
train twice day.