Old January 12th 10, 09:06 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default How is the T-Cup doing...

In message , at 14:17:52
on Mon, 11 Jan 2010, remarked:
I must get someone to show me this supposed step-free route to the
Piccadilly Line at King's Cross.

Northern ticket hall, lift down to new passageways; short lift down to
platforms. (The only access that's not finished yet is the lift down
from the old concourse to the Northern Line platforms)

The current access to the Northern ticket hall from King's Cross main
line is not step-free.

There are five that I can think of (are you saying some are out of
action temporarily). Working around the complex clockwise:

There's a lift just inside the St Pancras extension that goes up to the
Kent platforms and down to the passageway to the NTH. There's another
lift by the stairs which come out near the KX Suburban platforms. The
third lift is by the stairs that give access to the KX mainlaine
concourse near the large departure board, and the fourth is out by the
main road and leads down to the old concourse, which is then a level
passageway all the way to the NTH. The fifth lift is inside the western
ticket hall and gives access from road level to the barrier level, which
connected by a level passage to the old KX tube concourse.

All but the first mentioned are on this diagram I did a year ago, from
various plans, before it all opened ...

http://www.perry.co.uk/images/kx-com...with-lifts.jpg

(the numbers refer to the kind of lift, not an ordering that they are
currently using on the signage - which doesn't include my first lift
because it appears to be regarded as a St Pancras mainline lift not a
tube station lift):

http://www.flickr.com/photos/blech/4147448998/

The only lift from ground level only goes relevantly to the old tube
concourse which does not have step-free access to the Piccadilly Line.

That's the fourth one in my list above, top half of lift "D".
Old January 12th 10, 03:44 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Mon, 11 Jan 2010, Mike Bristow wrote:

In article i,
Tom Anderson wrote:
Transfer the Hammersmith branch to Crossrail.

Crossrail platforms are 240m long, IIRC. C-Stock trains are 6 car and
are - what, 90m long or so? I'm not sure how expensive it would be to
doble the length of all the stations en-route, but my gut feel is
"lots".

More precisely, "****ing masses".

Now, 7-car S-stock is, AIUI, going to be able to work the Hammersmith
branch without any platform extensions, and those trains are 117.4 m long.
Crossrail trains are pairs of five-car units, where i assume each car is
the usual 20 metres long, so 200 m. But half a train is 100 m long ...

Failing that, turn it into a GW branch that terminates at Paddington.

Which would remove a lot of the utility of the line.

An argument which failed to save the Circle!

tom

--
No Hype Just Science
Old January 12th 10, 04:37 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Mon, 11 Jan 2010 17:55:17 -0600,
wrote:

You seem to be applying a very severe test of "didn;t work". It never let
me down when I used it, unlike the shambles that is Edgware Road station.

Untimetabled 20 to 30 minute gaps in service on a city metro mean it
isn't working in any sense.

Neil

--
Neil Williams

Old January 12th 10, 08:54 PM posted to uk.transport.london
MIG MIG is offline

wrote:

You seem to be applying a very severe test of "didn;t work". It never let
me down when I used it, unlike the shambles that is Edgware Road station.

Untimetabled 20 to 30 minute gaps in service on a city metro mean it
isn't working in any sense.

Neil

I agree entirely about the mythical quality of the Circle as it was.
Non-existent if I wanted to go, say, Victoria to Aldgate (but always
the first thing to turn up if I wanted to go Victoria to Cannon
Street).

But I can't understand why such unrealistic, not to mention customer-
unfriendly, demands on Edgware Road are considered to be a cure not
worse than the disease.
Old January 12th 10, 09:59 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In article , (Roland
Perry) wrote:

[...]

You seem to be assuming that the lifts are all completed. I'm only talking
about access from King's Cross concourse which is not yet completed. I
can't see any access to the Northern ticket hall from King's Cross which
is presently open that is not down steps, apart from the old lift by the
front of the station. I don't regard as travel via St Pancras as a
credible route. The lift at the front of King's Cross would be a squeeze
with a bike, by the way. But I carry my bike up and down stairs. I'd just
rather not do so at a station like Edgware Road where the signage is so
crap you can't be sure which platform you need.

--
Colin Rosenstiel
Old January 13th 10, 07:11 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In article , ] (Steve
Fitzgerald) wrote:

Of course you'll carry your bike all the way down to the DLTs and
then some jobsworth (did I say that?) will tell you that you can't
carry an unfolded bike down there.

DLTs?

--
Colin Rosenstiel
Old January 13th 10, 07:16 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In article ,
says...
In article , ] (Steve
Fitzgerald) wrote:

Of course you'll carry your bike all the way down to the DLTs and
then some jobsworth (did I say that?) will tell you that you can't
carry an unfolded bike down there.

DLTs?

Presumably Deep Level Tubes