Old August 10th 10, 06:27 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Does London Underground accept Euros anywhere?

On Aug 10, 10:46*am, Mizter T wrote:
On Aug 10, 5:33*pm, Basil Jet wrote:

On 2010\08\10 16:50, wrote:

I hadn't noticed the various regions in other countries printing their
own money. Can you imagine the chaos if every US state now printed its
own money which may or may not be valid in the others? The situation we
currently have here is absurd. Either all sterling notes should be valid
everywhere in the UK or there should just be one set of notes for the whole
UK. Not the daft mishmash we have at the moment.

Since there are 4 denominations in fairly current use, I don't see why
the fivers, tenners, twenties and fifties couldn't have a different
country written on them, and be printed in the country in question. And
if the people in Scotland hate using money with England on it that much,
they could just avoid using the "Sterling Bank Of England" fivers and
stick to the "Sterling Bank Of Scotland" tenners instead, although all
four notes would be legal tender and the other provincial and Bank Of
England notes would be withdrawn as that denomination of "Sterling Bank"
note was introduced. Would keep the moaning nationalists happy, and we'd
end up with only four notes throughout the kingdom.

Alternatively we could solve the banknote issue by joining the Euro,
though comes with the unfortunate side-effect of having to send large
amounts of money to Greece...

The Euro is a currency that is in a race with the US Dollar to be
bottom of the monetary rock pile. What is that rumbling I hear in the
distance? Inflation.

Old August 10th 10, 06:29 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Aug 10, 10:47*am, Paul Terry wrote:
In message ,
writes

I hadn't noticed the various regions in other countries printing their
own money.

Several commercial banks in Hong Kong issue their own banknotes in
addition to those issued by the government there.

The situation we currently have here is absurd. Either all sterling
notes should be valid everywhere in the UK or there should just be one
set of notes for the whole UK.

The notion of what is "valid" in terms of financial transactions is
largely a matter of agreement between the parties concerned. (As
mentioned earlier, the concept of "legal tender" applies to only a
limited range of transactions).
--

All money is based on an element of faith. In some cases one's faith
is better placed than in others, e.g. the Swiss Franc.

Old August 10th 10, 11:02 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Mizter T wrote:

Alternatively we could solve the banknote issue by joining the Euro,
though comes with the unfortunate side-effect of having to send large
amounts of money to Greece...

The SNP have been lobbying since the 1990s for Scottish banks to still have
the right to issue their own notes under the Euro. It's a demand that will
probably be accepted if it made it more likely to win a referendum.

Old August 10th 10, 11:36 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Aug 11, 12:02*am, "Tim Roll-Pickering" T.C.Roll-
wrote:

Mizter T wrote:
Alternatively we could solve the banknote issue by joining the Euro,
though comes with the unfortunate side-effect of having to send large
amounts of money to Greece...

The SNP have been lobbying since the 1990s for Scottish banks to still have
the right to issue their own notes under the Euro. It's a demand that will
probably be accepted if it made it more likely to win a referendum.

I assume you mean a referendum on the Euro?

Every single Euro country would have to agree to such a thing - I find
it very hard to imagine that would ever happen, however much they
might value having the UK inside the Euro (it would be the thin end of
the wedge) - and I find it a bit hard to imagine that the UK
government would go out on a limb to try and demand that of the rest
of Europe.

But I now realise that's not what the demand would entail - instead it
would involve there being Scottish Euro notes that were only accepted
within Scotland (or maybe the UK). Yes, that's seems a bit more
possible - though I still think other Euro governments could be
somewhat hostile to such a proposal, for example the Spaniards might
be wary of demands coming from the Catalans and the Basques etc etc.
That said, the Scots (and NI) banks have precedent on their side.

Old August 11th 10, 08:41 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Tue, 10 Aug 2010 18:47:03 +0100
Paul Terry wrote:
Several commercial banks in Hong Kong issue their own banknotes in
addition to those issued by the government there.

I wonder if the fact that HK was run by britain for 100 years has anything
to do with that.

The situation we currently have here is absurd. Either all sterling
notes should be valid everywhere in the UK or there should just be one
set of notes for the whole UK.

The notion of what is "valid" in terms of financial transactions is
largely a matter of agreement between the parties concerned. (As
mentioned earlier, the concept of "legal tender" applies to only a
limited range of transactions).

Thats all very well, but try having that discussion with some teenage
checkout girl in a london tesco when she refuses to take some Clydesdale
tenners and see where it gets you.

B2003

Old August 11th 10, 10:07 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Wed, 11 Aug 2010 10:50:26 +0100
Paul Terry wrote:
Thats all very well, but try having that discussion with some teenage
checkout girl in a london tesco when she refuses to take some Clydesdale
tenners and see where it gets you.

Erm ... that's exactly my point. The only medium that is valid for the
transaction is one that BOTH parties can agree upon using.

Yes , but the parties in question should be you and the company running
the shop, not you and girl behind the till. The company will know that
scottish notes are legal tender but unfortunately people on the shop floor
sometimes get confused. Or are just plain thick.

B2003

Old August 11th 10, 11:08 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , d
writes

Yes , but the parties in question should be you and the company running
the shop, not you and girl behind the till. The company will know that
scottish notes are legal tender but unfortunately people on the shop floor
sometimes get confused. Or are just plain thick.

We are going round in circles now, but the concept of legal tender is
irrelevant to purchasing items in shops. As pointed out further up the
thread, legal tender related to settling debts, not making purchases, as
explained he

http://www.royalmint.com/corporate/p...uidelines.aspx

When purchasing an item, the vendor is free to accept or refuse any type
of payment they wish. It is only in cases where a debt has been run-up
(such as consuming a meal in a restaurant before paying for it) that
legal tender becomes relevant.
--
Paul Terry