Old August 11th 10, 11:38 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Does London Underground accept Euros anywhere?

On Wed, 11 Aug 2010 12:08:43 +0100
Paul Terry wrote:
When purchasing an item, the vendor is free to accept or refuse any type
of payment they wish. It is only in cases where a debt has been run-up
(such as consuming a meal in a restaurant before paying for it) that
legal tender becomes relevant.

Whatever.

I just would like to be able to go into a shop anywhere in the UK and use
notes from anywhere in the UK without eyebrows being raised or the shop
assistant refusing to take them. We don't have that with our current system.

B2003

Old August 11th 10, 12:33 PM posted to uk.transport.london

1506 wrote in
:

Sadly there is no currency valid in Wales that has
the names Wales or Cymru on it!

There are some Welsh-themed pound coins, and one that refers to 'my
country' in Welsh around the edge. And given that this year's issues
include ones with the coats of arms of London and Belfast, I suspect
next year we might see Cardiff (and Edinburgh). But none of these
actually say 'Wales' or 'Cymru', I think.

There was a 1981 25p (crown) coin issued which the word 'Wales' on it,
albeit preceded by 'Prince of', and similarly there is a 1998 £5 coin
with the same chap's name. I believe these are still legal tender.

And then there's the banknotes of the Black Sheep Company of Wales
Limited
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Banknot..._Company_of_Wa
les_Limited.

Peter

--
| Peter Campbell Smith | Epsom | UK |
Old August 11th 10, 12:39 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Wed, 11 Aug 2010 12:59:55 +0100
"Tim Roll-Pickering" wrote:
a) they're not legal tender (in England & Wales and NI)

Since when?

Since always. They're not legal tender in Scotland either for that matter.

And if they're not then how do they differ from Bank of England notes
which
are legal tender all over the UK?

No, those are only legal tender in England & Wales.

So scotland technically doesn't have any legal tender notes then? Pull the
other one.

B2003

Old August 11th 10, 01:25 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , d
writes

So scotland technically doesn't have any legal tender notes then?

Correct.

The same applies to Northern Ireland.
--
Paul Terry
Old August 11th 10, 01:37 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In article ,
d wrote:
So scotland technically doesn't have any legal tender notes then? Pull the
other one.

Correct. See, for example,
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/7203378.stm
and http://www.royalmint.com/corporate/p...uidelines.aspx

This isn't a problem, because legal tender is not an issue in
day-to-day life. I've never made a transaction for which legal
tender was necessary.

--
Mike Bristow
Old August 11th 10, 01:40 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Wed, 11 Aug 2010 14:24:13 +0100
Clive wrote:
When I take foreign notes into my bank (Barclay's) for refund in pounds,
they take the precaution of checking them against pictures of currency
in a big book. Could you expect a barmaid in Bristol to do this it she
has never seen a note like it before?

Exactly how many pubs check for the validity of english bank notes?

What if she were threatened with
the sack for accepting anything she didn't know to be legal?

If the pub didn't provide her with a method of checking them then she could
take them to court for unfair dismissal.

B2003