Old September 13th 11, 09:39 AM posted to uk.railway,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.transport.london

Default Heathrow to western GWML link under consideration

On Sep 13, 2:09*am, Basil Jet wrote:
On 2011\09\13 10:04, Neil Williams wrote:

On Sep 13, 10:57 am, *wrote:

What "homophobic diatribe"? *A phobia is a fear. *I would be very
surprised if Boltar is afraid of homosexuals.

Oh, don't be silly. *The term "homophobic", while perhaps not strictly
correct in a Latin sense, is widely used to describe someone or
something that is opposed to, rather than strictly scared of,
homosexual people or homosexuality at a concept.

Widely used by people whose intention is to smear their opponents with
an accusation of fear.

Thank you sir.

Old September 13th 11, 09:44 AM posted to uk.railway,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.transport.london

Roland Perry wrote:
In the mean time, why not direct your ire those others who claim to know
what it's like without ever having been there?

I'd rather direct my disapproval towards someone who speaks with
absolute authority about what it is like to live and work in some
place that he only visited for a week, on holiday.

Pure nonsense. But I should expect only pure nonsense from you.

Old September 13th 11, 09:45 AM posted to uk.railway,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.transport.london

d wrote:
... Especially online
where people seem to make it their mission to be offended by just about
anything. ...

Just like you, you mean?

Old September 13th 11, 09:46 AM posted to uk.railway,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.transport.london

On Sep 13, 2:04*am, Neil Williams wrote:
On Sep 13, 10:57*am, 1506 wrote:

What "homophobic diatribe"? *A phobia is a fear. *I would be very
surprised if Boltar is afraid of homosexuals.

Oh, don't be silly. *The term "homophobic", while perhaps not strictly
correct in a Latin sense, is widely used to describe someone or
something that is opposed to, rather than strictly scared of,
homosexual people or homosexuality at a concept.

(I have no idea of the content of the posting mentioned, however).

Arachnophobics are not merely opposed to spiders.
Old September 13th 11, 09:46 AM posted to uk.railway,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.transport.london

On Sep 13, 2:39*am, Neil Williams wrote:
On Sep 13, 11:09*am, Basil Jet wrote:

Widely used by people whose intention is to smear their opponents with
an accusation of fear.

And also widely used by people whose intention is nothing of the sort.

Do you know an alternative term in common usage? *I can't think of
one.

A moral person?

Old September 13th 11, 09:47 AM posted to uk.railway,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.transport.london

1506 wrote:

It is precisely because my immediate family means so much to me, that
we moved from England to the Commonwealth of Kentucky in the early
1980s. Our quality of life, and standard of living, improved in so
many ways.

And you also improved England by leaving, for which we thank you.

Old September 13th 11, 09:47 AM posted to uk.railway,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.transport.london

On Tue, 13 Sep 2011 02:39:17 -0700 (PDT)
1506 wrote:
entrepreneurs, etc., and left wing tolerance mysteriously disappears.

Its a well known fact that left wing "tolerance" only applies to people
who agree with them. Most of them really are straight out of a George Orwell
novel but they're too dumb to realise it.

B2003

Old September 13th 11, 09:52 AM posted to uk.railway,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.transport.london

On Sep 12, 8:34*am, Roland Perry wrote:
In message , at 14:27:57 on Mon, 12 Sep
2011, remarked:

My family means a lot more to me than a job and a naff condo in a cultureless
country on the other side of the world. If thats being "simple" then thats
fine by me.

Many of the people who emigrate take their immediate family with them,
and do it because of a promise of a "better life".

Thats fine. But that "better life" (ie big house and flash car) obviously
trumps any feelings they have for the rest of their family. A word to describe
it would be "shallow".

I don't think you are in any position to make that kind of judgement.
The "rest of their family" might be one second cousin!

Housing is half the price of the UK, so some will then be able to afford

Probably because most of the young locals have buggered off to more interesting
places.

Not at all. The place I went to is what the young locals regard as the
"happening place".

Have you actually been there and experienced it at first hand (I did).

No. Experience what? What can I see there that I can't see in europe apart
from the southern cross?

What it's like to live there, of course.

Exceptionally, and unusually, Roland, I am with Tony on this one. It
takes a while to understand anywhere. A week is barely enough to give
a flavor. At this time I am in the UK. After spending decades in the
US, I still learned something new every week.

Indeed, currently, I am still adjusting to the changes in the UK
during my absence. The first time I tried to use a chip and pin debit
card was embarrassing. It was at Victoria Station and I kept removing
the card too soon.
Old September 13th 11, 09:52 AM posted to uk.railway,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.transport.london

On Tue, 13 Sep 2011 10:45:48 +0100
Bruce wrote:
wrote:
... Especially online
where people seem to make it their mission to be offended by just about
anything. ...

Just like you, you mean?

Not really. Live and let live unless it happens to affect me or someone I
know personally. Having opinions is not trying to be offended.

B2003

Old September 13th 11, 09:58 AM posted to uk.railway,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.transport.london

Bruce wrote:
wrote:
... Especially online
where people seem to make it their mission to be offended by just about
anything. ...

Just like you, you mean?

Not really. Live and let live unless it happens to affect me or someone I
know personally. Having opinions is not trying to be offended.

My issue with many of these groups is that they want to impose their
will on me. I keep my private life behind the bedroom door. The
homosexuals want to display it on floats in the street. If muslims
want to worship at their mosque, fine. Please do not force islam
(submission) onto everyone else.