Old September 13th 11, 10:18 AM posted to uk.railway,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.transport.london

Default Heathrow to western GWML link under consideration

On Tue, 13 Sep 2011 02:58:49 -0700 (PDT)
1506 wrote:
My issue with many of these groups is that they want to impose their
will on me. I keep my private life behind the bedroom door. The
homosexuals want to display it on floats in the street. If muslims

Publically flaunting your sexuality shows immense insecurity about it despite
how the exponents of it describe it using the tired old "celebrating" cliche.

B2003

Old September 13th 11, 10:36 AM posted to uk.railway,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.transport.london

"1506" wrote:

On Sep 13, 2:52 am, wrote:
[...]
Not really. Live and let live unless it happens to affect me or someone
know personally. Having opinions is not trying to be offended.

My issue with many of these groups is that they want to impose their
will on me. I keep my private life behind the bedroom door. The
homosexuals want to display it on floats in the street. If muslims
want to worship at their mosque, fine. Please do not force islam
(submission) onto everyone else.

I don't think anyone's proposing to turn you gay.

Now, I wonder if there's any chance those interested in such discussions
could arrange for them to take place elsewhere, rather than cross-posted on
three newsgroups which supposedly focus on transport issues...

Old September 13th 11, 11:06 AM posted to uk.railway,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.transport.london

On Sep 13, 1:26*am, wrote:
On Mon, 12 Sep 2011 17:18:29 +0100

Graeme Wall wrote:
On 12/09/2011 14:42, wrote:
On Mon, 12 Sep 2011 14:23:46 +0100
Graeme *wrote:
Oh come on, its true. If someone really loves their family they don't move
to the other side of the world to live. For them family ties would be a
stronger bond than moving somewhere new for the sake of it.

You are a simple soul aren't you.

My family means a lot more to me than a job and a naff condo in a cultureless
country on the other side of the world.

Cultureless? I'm sure the Maoris would object to that description.

Fair point. But I get the impression that there isn't much of it down there
these days.

Some decent wine comes from NZ, :-)
Old September 13th 11, 11:18 AM posted to uk.railway,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.transport.london

On Tue, 13 Sep 2011 12:10:09 +0100
Bruce wrote:
Not really. Live and let live unless it happens to affect me or someone I
know personally. Having opinions is not trying to be offended.

B2003

I think every response to your future rants on here should remind you
of that phrase;

My usual "rants" on utl are usually about the tube which very must DOES affect
me now I have the misfortune of having to use it 2 days a week again.

B2003

Old September 13th 11, 11:36 AM posted to uk.railway,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.transport.london

On Sep 13, 4:11*am, Andrew Clarke
wrote:
I rather think that the majority of Welsh (and Cornish)emigrants went to Australia, where there was plenty of work for miners.They contributed greatly to the gold rushes in Victoria and NSW as the names on local gravestones testify.

New Zealand was a popular destination for the Scots, hence the peculiar Kiwi pronunciation of the letter "I". These days it is a popular destination for Pacific Islanders and the social fabric in the cities is changing rapidly and not always harmoniously.

I can't speak for New Zealand as I have never been there, but I can say after fifty years in Australia that to speak of the place as a cultural desert whose youth can't wait to emigrate is, to say the least, rather wide of the mark.

One of my biggest regrets in life is not have spent time in
Australia. Still time for a visit I guess.
Old September 13th 11, 11:42 AM posted to uk.railway,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.transport.london

Bruce wrote:
Not really. Live and let live unless it happens to affect me or someone I
know personally. Having opinions is not trying to be offended.

B2003

I think every response to your future rants on here should remind you
of that phrase;

My usual "rants" on utl are usually about the tube which very must DOES affect
me now I have the misfortune of having to use it 2 days a week again.

A more customer focused management style, and employees who give a
damn, would work wonders for TfL's services.
Old September 13th 11, 12:30 PM posted to uk.railway,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.transport.london

In message
, at
02:52:04 on Tue, 13 Sep 2011, 1506 remarked:
Exceptionally, and unusually, Roland, I am with Tony on this one. It
takes a while to understand anywhere. A week is barely enough to give
a flavor. At this time I am in the UK. After spending decades in the
US, I still learned something new every week.

We all have different skills. I've moved around a lot, including a spell
living in the USA. I'm very observant and instinctively spot the
socio-economic patterns which form the basis for lifestyle in different
places. I've made numerous trips to places like Paris, Brussels, Geneva
and Amsterdam, and feel that I've gained considerable insight into the
local culture/logistics by the time I've spent seven days mixing with
the locals (I'm not talking about sitting on the beach or other classic
tourist activities).

Indeed, currently, I am still adjusting to the changes in the UK
during my absence. The first time I tried to use a chip and pin debit
card was embarrassing. It was at Victoria Station and I kept removing
the card too soon.

I find I can adapt to the local currency/banking arrangements in a day
or two easily. And to be on topic, the local public transport. But I do
research them before I go. I look at the local papers to see what the
price of things like houses and cars is, and ask the locals about their
experiences, where *they* go on holiday, what work is like, and where
they do their shopping. What they consider to be the good and parts of
town, and why.

The more places you visit, the more you can assemble a picture from a
set of building blocks.
Old September 13th 11, 12:34 PM posted to uk.railway,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.transport.london

In message , at 10:44:24 on
Tue, 13 Sep 2011, Bruce remarked:
In the mean time, why not direct your ire those others who claim to know
what it's like without ever having been there?

I'd rather direct my disapproval towards someone who speaks with
absolute authority

All I did was refute some of the even more outrageous prejudices of
another.

about what it is like to live and work in some
place that he only visited for a week, on holiday.

I wasn't on holiday in that sense. And I stayed two weeks. Do keep up!