Old September 14th 11, 12:06 AM posted to uk.railway,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.transport.london

Default Heathrow to western GWML link under consideration

On Tue, 13 Sep 2011 02:04:04 -0700 (PDT), Neil Williams
wrote:

On Sep 13, 10:57*am, 1506 wrote:

What "homophobic diatribe"? *A phobia is a fear. *I would be very
surprised if Boltar is afraid of homosexuals.

Oh, don't be silly. The term "homophobic", while perhaps not strictly
correct in a Latin sense, is widely used to describe someone or
something that is opposed to, rather than strictly scared of,
homosexual people or homosexuality at a concept.

(I have no idea of the content of the posting mentioned, however).

Neil

Then take a look at the thread: A less pleasant aspect of
'railway photography'? that appeared in multi rail/transport groups
in the latter part of August and early part of September, i.e. quite
current.

Old September 14th 11, 12:38 AM posted to uk.railway,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.transport.london

On 2011\09\13 19:30, Mizter T wrote:

Can we refer to other evidence? e.g.:

"It is also time to killfile Mr. Corfield, a sexual deviant in a union
protected public sector job. Paul’s inability to hold together three
logical thoughts, and his tendency to resort to hissy fits when he
cannot win a debate mean his post are not worth reading. And, I do
not want to deal with him."
http://groups.google.com/group/uk.tr...a94a18d8c1094d

I am astonished that anyone could accuse a transport enthusiast of being
a sexual deviant.
Old September 14th 11, 04:51 AM posted to uk.railway,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.transport.london

On Tue, 13 Sep 2011 23:24:24 +0100, Paul Corfield
wrote:

On Tue, 13 Sep 2011 10:47:20 +0100, Bruce
wrote:

1506 wrote:

It is precisely because my immediate family means so much to me, that
we moved from England to the Commonwealth of Kentucky in the early
1980s. Our quality of life, and standard of living, improved in so
many ways.

And you also improved England by leaving, for which we thank you.

Unfortunately for you you will find that "1506" is, I am informed, now
resident in Aylesbury

Is his second name Hubert ?

so be careful what you say in the supermarket
till queue. He might be standing behind you.

Old September 14th 11, 06:46 AM posted to uk.railway,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.transport.london

On Sep 13, 2:48*pm, Charles Ellson wrote:
On Tue, 13 Sep 2011 01:57:32 -0700 (PDT), 1506
wrote:

On Sep 12, 5:42*pm, Nobody wrote:
On Mon, 12 Sep 2011 17:18:29 +0100, Graeme Wall

wrote:
On 12/09/2011 14:42, wrote:
On Mon, 12 Sep 2011 14:23:46 +0100
Graeme *wrote:
Oh come on, its true. If someone really loves their family they don't move
to the other side of the world to live. For them family ties would be a
stronger bond than moving somewhere new for the sake of it.

You are a simple soul aren't you.

My family means a lot more to me than a job and a naff condo in a cultureless
country on the other side of the world.

Cultureless? I'm sure the Maoris would object to that description.

Bloody hell! *Pakeha New Zealanders would disagree as well...

boltar2003 seems to be exercisng invective left over from his
unsated homophobic diatribe a few weeks back.

What "homophobic diatribe"? *A phobia is a fear.

Re-writing the dictionary now are you ?

No.

Phobia - "Fear, horror or aversion"

That is the definition that I would use.

Old September 14th 11, 06:55 AM posted to uk.railway,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.transport.london

On Sep 14, 8:46*am, 1506 wrote:

Phobia - "Fear, horror or aversion"

That is the definition that I would use.

And a dislike of homosexuality is an aversion to it, no?

(note "or").

Neil
Old September 14th 11, 07:13 AM posted to uk.railway,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.transport.london

On Sep 13, 11:55*pm, Neil Williams wrote:
On Sep 14, 8:46*am, 1506 wrote:

Phobia - "Fear, horror or aversion"

That is the definition that I would use.

And a dislike of homosexuality is an aversion to it, no?

(note "or").

To my mind aversion is stronger than dislike. However, this is coming
close to splitting hairs. So, point conceded.

That said, I see no evidence that Boltar has a dislike for Homosexuals
either.
Old September 14th 11, 07:19 AM posted to uk.railway,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.transport.london

On Sep 14, 9:13*am, 1506 wrote:

To my mind aversion is stronger than dislike. *However, this is coming
close to splitting hairs. *So, point conceded.

Fair enough, thanks.

That said, I see no evidence that Boltar has a dislike for Homosexuals
either.

I have no idea if he has or not, and I decline to read the thread
being pointed to because it was one I stepped out of because it wasn't
particularly interesting and had precious little to do with railways.

Neil
Old September 14th 11, 07:20 AM posted to uk.railway,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.transport.london

On Sep 13, 3:25*pm, "Martin Rich" wrote:
"1506" wrote in message

Indeed, currently, I am still adjusting to the changes in the UK
during my absence. *The first time I tried to use a chip and pin debit
card was embarrassing. *It was at Victoria Station and I kept removing
the card too soon.

There have been differences in credit card handling between the US and
Europe for many years, but the nature of the differences has changed. *When
I first visited the US I had a struggle to convince some retailers that my
Access card, as it was then still branded, could be accepted as a
Mastercard. *

Exactly my experience in the 1980s.

On recent visits it's been a surprise to find that PINs still
aren't used when paying by credit card.

Chip and PIN is unknown in the United States.
Old September 14th 11, 07:31 AM posted to uk.railway,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.transport.london

In message , at
23:25:51 on Tue, 13 Sep 2011, Martin Rich
remarked:
Indeed, currently, I am still adjusting to the changes in the UK
during my absence. The first time I tried to use a chip and pin debit
card was embarrassing. It was at Victoria Station and I kept removing
the card too soon.

There have been differences in credit card handling between the US and
Europe for many years, but the nature of the differences has changed.
When I first visited the US I had a struggle to convince some retailers
that my Access card, as it was then still branded, could be accepted as
a Mastercard.

And then there's the "Maestro"/Servicecard issue, I don't think they
were ever properly interoperable. They've changed to Visa Debit, now
that the Cheque Guarantee aspect is obsolete.

I remember having to seek out Amex branded ATMs (in the USA) to draw
cash on an Amex card. There's one at Schiphol Airport today. Maybe
there's more interoperability here - I did use an Amex card in a Natwest
ATM last year.

On recent visits it's been a surprise to find that PINs still aren't
used when paying by credit card.

I can confirm that most transactions are a swipe and nothing else (no
signature, no PIN). Last place I saw that in the UK was a ticket machine
at an airport car park.

Relevant to urban transit - if way off-topic for the thread - I was
also intrigued by ticket machines on the New York subway, which would
accept my credit card to buy two one-day passes, but no more. They
were clearly programmed to accept a maximum of two transactions in
quick succession using the same card, and I couldn't find a way to buy
four cards in a single transaction

I think UK railway ticket machines went through a phase of only allowing
two transactions per card per day. Not sure if going C&P has fixed that.