Old October 3rd 11, 03:34 PM posted to uk.rec.driving,uk.transport.london

Default Henleys corner crossing - someone tell me this is a joke

On Mon, 3 Oct 2011 16:20:20 +0100, "GT" lied:

"The Revd" wrote in message
.. .
On Mon, 3 Oct 2011 13:58:24 +0100, "GT" lied:

"Recliner" wrote in message
. ..
wrote in message

On Mon, 3 Oct 2011 11:02:31 +0100
"GT" wrote:
This is silly - removing the button doesn't help them to avoid
breaking their law: The religious law prohibits them from using
electricity or operating machinery on the Sabbath. What exactly do
they think the green man is powered by?!!

Good point, I hadn't thought of that!

I think they're not supposed to *cause* work to be done, but can take
advantage of things that are happening anyway.

For example, I was once in a hotel in Jerusalem and on a Friday night,
headed for the lift to go down to the lobby. I noticed a crowd of people
waiting by another lift, but once I hit the button, they were happy to
join me in 'my' lift. Apparently, one lift runs an all-floors stopping
service on the Shabbat, but the others work normally. If a non-Jew like
me
pressed the button for one of those lifts, they had no trouble taking
advantage of it.

Of course, once in the lift, none of them would be able to select a
floor!!
I'd just take the lift to the top floor and get out.

Why

To point out how rediculous superstition (religion) can be!

It isn't. Atheism is, though.

are you 'anti-semitic'®T?

No.

You must be if you'd make jews walk down all those stairs.

Old October 3rd 11, 03:52 PM posted to uk.rec.driving,uk.transport.london

wrote in message
Though I heard about this on LBC this morning too so I suspect it isn't.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...strian-crossin
g-devout-Jews-cross-road.html

http://percyweller.wordpress.com/201...every-90-secs/

I would suggest that if these religious nutters really are so hamstrung by
their interpretation of their religion they just stay inside instead of
everyone else being inconvenienced - including probably the large number
of
ordinary jews that live in that area.

B2003

This article was tucked away on something like page 43 of the paper. Imagine
if it had been specially arranged for muslims to cross the road; it would be
front page headlines in the Daily Mail.

Now Muslims Stop Our Traffic!!!

Old October 3rd 11, 04:23 PM
Senior Member

Location: Leyton, East London

Exactly. It is likely to cause huge traffic queues and air pollution; which of course is why TfL acceded to this absurd demand instead of telling them plainly and bluntly where to get off. This silly nonsense is yet another reason why TfL should never have started this waste-of-money project.
Old October 3rd 11, 08:13 PM posted to uk.rec.driving,uk.transport.london

On Oct 3, 1:01*pm, The Revd wrote:
On Mon, 3 Oct 2011 11:59:29 +0100, "Recliner"

wrote:
wrote in message

On Mon, 3 Oct 2011 11:02:31 +0100
"GT" wrote:
This is silly - removing the button doesn't help them to avoid
breaking their law: The religious law prohibits them from using
electricity or operating machinery on the Sabbath. What exactly do
they think the green man is powered by?!!

Good point, I hadn't thought of that!

I think they're not supposed to *cause* work to be done, but can take
advantage of things that are happening anyway.

For example, I was once in a hotel in Jerusalem and on a Friday night,
headed for the lift to go down to the lobby. I noticed a crowd of people
waiting by another lift, but once I hit the button, they were happy to
join me in 'my' lift. Apparently, one lift runs an all-floors stopping
service on the Shabbat, but the others work normally. If a non-Jew like
me pressed the button for one of those lifts, they had no trouble taking
advantage of it. Apparently it's OK for non-Jews to cause work to be
done that benefits Jews, but not for those same Jews to cause it.

It's even OK to employ a "shabbos goy" to do things which they aren't
themselves allowed to do.

And, of course, the use of technology to circumvent the spirit of the
law while keeping to the letter of the law is also OK, as in the use
of ovens with 'shabbos' settings.

When all else fails, they set up an "eruv" like the one in Golders
Green where all kinds of shabbos violations are permissible within its
borders.- Hide quoted text -

Why do the Orthdox believe that Almighty God needs to "rest" on the
7th day? That surely is a mortal attribute?

And as for the Sabbath itself:

“Render unto Caesar the things which are Caesar’s, and unto God the
things that are God’s." (Matthew 22:21)
Old October 3rd 11, 09:26 PM posted to uk.rec.driving,uk.transport.london

wrote:

For example, I was once in a hotel in Jerusalem and on a Friday
night, headed for the lift to go down to the lobby. I noticed a
crowd of people waiting by another lift, but once I hit the button,
they were happy to join me in 'my' lift. Apparently, one lift runs
an all-floors stopping service on the Shabbat, but the others work
normally. If a non-Jew like me pressed the button for one of those
lifts, they had no trouble taking advantage of it. Apparently it's
OK for non-Jews to cause work to be done that benefits Jews, but not
for those same Jews to cause it.

It's even OK to employ a "shabbos goy" to do things which they aren't
themselves allowed to do.

Yes, I gather they employ Christian Palestinians in Jerusalem for such
tasks.

Yes. Or even Palestinian Muslims.

And, of course, the use of technology to circumvent the spirit of the
law while keeping to the letter of the law is also OK, as in the use
of ovens with 'shabbos' settings.

Yes, I was told about such devices -- eg, food warmers in hospitals
which are plugged into electrical sockets which periodically switch off
for a minute or so during the Shabbat. It's apparently OK to plug them
in when the light's off, knowing that it'll come on shortly to keep the
food warm. It seemed completely ridiculous.

The ingenuity is endless.

When all else fails, they set up an "eruv" like the one in Golders
Green where all kinds of shabbos violations are permissible within its
borders.

I suppose it's much like playing a computer game -- one group comes up
with a set of bizarre, invented rules, that others then try to outsmart.
But they shouldn't be allowed to inflict their fantasies on others.

But, but, to not allow their fantasies to be imposed upon one is
'anti-semitic'®™!

Old October 3rd 11, 09:27 PM posted to uk.rec.driving,uk.transport.london

On Mon, 3 Oct 2011 13:13:59 -0700 (PDT), "Dr. Sunil"
wrote:

On Oct 3, 1:01*pm, The Revd wrote:
On Mon, 3 Oct 2011 11:59:29 +0100, "Recliner"

wrote:
wrote in message

On Mon, 3 Oct 2011 11:02:31 +0100
"GT" wrote:
[...]

I don't think it means "rest" in the mortal sense.

And as for the Sabbath itself:

“Render unto Caesar the things which are Caesar’s, and unto God the
things that are God’s." (Matthew 22:21)

Quite so.
Old October 3rd 11, 09:34 PM posted to uk.rec.driving,uk.transport.london

On 03/10/2011 21:13, Dr. Sunil wrote:

Why do the Orthdox believe that Almighty God needs to "rest" on the
7th day? That surely is a mortal attribute?

And as for the Sabbath itself:

“Render unto Caesar the things which are Caesar’s, and unto God the
things that are God’s." (Matthew 22:21)

there's not a lot of point in quoting the *New* Testament to Jews!
--
Cheers,
Roger
Old October 3rd 11, 10:02 PM posted to uk.rec.driving,uk.transport.london

In message , Recliner
writes
"NM" wrote in message

On Oct 3, 11:02 am, "GT" wrote:

This is silly - removing the button doesn't help them to avoid
breaking their law: The religious law prohibits them from using
electricity or operating machinery on the Sabbath. What exactly do
they think the green man is powered by?!!

Sweetcorn? I hope none of them are fitted with heart
pacemakers. :-)

I think the made-up religious rules are conveniently relaxed for
live-saving medical technology (Jerusalem hospital work seven-days a
week, after all) -- maybe someone should have deemed that pedestrian
crossing buttons come into this category? Of course, some Christian
nutters would rather die than accept a life-saving blood transfusion,
and they inflict this on their children, too.

There are nice exemptions for being able to eat pork and bacon if it is
a "medical emergency". More difficult to engineer than it should be
(engineer being the fail word too - naughty)

That said, hypothetically speaking, if you do fall of the bandwagon, it
does mean that eating pork and bacon becomes more pleasurable than most
Christians/other peoples will ever be able to appreciate eating the same
food (due to the knowledge that one is eating prohibited food).

And, just about, slightly on topic. There's a very good all night
beigel bakery on Brick Lane between Liverpool Street Station and
Shoreditch High Street Station. I recommend their salt beef beigels.
The shop is not certified kosher, so that reduces the potential cost by
50%.

--
Paul G
Typing from Kentish Town
Old October 4th 11, 09:22 AM posted to uk.rec.driving,uk.transport.london

On 2011-10-03, Paul G wrote:
In message , Recliner

There are nice exemptions for being able to eat pork and bacon if it
is a "medical emergency".

Actually, there is a blanket exemption for all the rules of Judaism if
there's a life threatening situation. Not just medical emergencies.

Wouldn't crossing a busy road count as a life threatening situation?