Old June 14th 12, 12:15 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Tube Wifi

On 14/06/2012 12:23, Neil Williams wrote:

Mizter wrote:

If they have a contract UK mobile with inclusive minutes (or a PAYG plan
that offers something similar), then calling from their mobile to yours
wouldn't incur extra expense. That's an *if* though, and there are other
factors such as availability of decent mobile reception for both the
calling and called parties.

My mobile is on and can be called all day, all week except for the 3 hours
a week I presently spend on aircraft.

I would be available to answer my landline for about 24-48 hours a week
max, usually less than that.

That convenience is most likely worth the extra few pence. As I have
unlimited minutes, anyone who wants a call back so they aren't charged can
have one. For international calls from abroad, the cost difference between
calling a UK mobile or landline is minimal, and surprisingly used to be
nothing at all!

The difference when calling from abroad isn't as minimal as you make out.
Old June 14th 12, 12:26 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 14/06/2012 12:31, Roland Perry wrote:

In message , at 11:41:38 on Thu, 14 Jun
2012, Mizter T remarked:
The cost to me of subsidising callers is a fixed mnthly rental, and
incoming calls are free.

The cost to others of subsidising me not having a landline varies, but
is normally an extra cost per minute on the calls (to my mobile).

If they have a contract UK mobile with inclusive minutes (or a PAYG
plan that offers something similar), then calling from their mobile to
yours wouldn't incur extra expense. That's an *if* though, and there
are other factors such as availability of decent mobile reception for
both the calling and called parties.

The callers I have in mind are from landlines, often not in the UK.

Even inclusive minutes aren't "free" if they exceed the monthly amount
by calling me, and their calls to everyone else suddenly become
40p/minute (or whatever).

Or were you thinking they might, by complete co-incidence, be on the
same mobile provider as me and have unlimited minutes?

No, I was thinking what I was saying. Yes, exceeding inclusive minutes
costs. (Though for those who do use a lot of inclusive minutes, many
contract plans now come with inclusive talk time in abundance - but no,
I don't make the assumption this is an option that is either available
to everyone or suits everyone.)

I absolutely agree that a landline is particularly useful when it comes
to receiving (conventional) calls from abroad.
Old June 14th 12, 02:05 PM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote:

Whoever it was who said you could get a replacement at an O2 shop.

A replacement SIM. You can of course also get a replacement phone, but
will have to pay for that.

Neil
--
Neil Williams in Milton Keynes, UK. Put first name before the at to reply.
Old June 14th 12, 02:10 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message
.
net, at 13:01:50 on Tue, 12 Jun 2012, Neil Williams
remarked:
I'd be expecting most of the calls from other landlines.

A generational thing I think.

(I did warn her I'd post about this...)

My daughter has got into the bad habit of calling me on my landline,
using her mobile, from the next room. Sometimes, bundling too many
minutes has its downside
Old June 14th 12, 04:33 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In article , (Mizter T) wrote:

The difference when calling from abroad isn't as minimal as you make
out.

It very much depends where the call is from.

--
Colin Rosenstiel