Old September 7th 15, 11:52 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Default Borders Railway (Edinburgh - Tweedbank) opening Sun 6 Sep 2015

On Mon, 7 Sep 2015 18:16:03 +0100, Bryan Morris
wrote:

In message , Roland Perry
writes
Are the unions *really* making all this fuss about a 2-day-a-week thing?

AIUI it is more a case of reacting to not being asked about the plans
first thus producing the impression that the staff are being dictated
to. Asking politely has long avoided trouble in other industries.

Yep and in effect an extra maybe 4 hours a night for 2 nights over
current hours

Old September 7th 15, 11:54 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On Mon, 07 Sep 2015 18:56:59 +0100, Arthur Figgis
wrote:

On 07/09/2015 17:17, Mizter T wrote:

Night buses in London are very popular and quite frequent (in some cases
very frequent).

In some cases.

The trouble with some used to be the type of passenger they are very
popular with but the increased network seems to have had some dilution
effect on that.
Old September 8th 15, 07:23 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

In message , at 19:09:10 on
Mon, 7 Sep 2015, Paul Corfield remarked:

Without wishing to be unduly rude about your daughter's thought
processes but the Night Tube is a ludicrous basis on which to choose
where to live.

Transport options are one of the most important criteria when making a
choice of where to live - after all it's only a year and the local
facilities which might appeal to families etc are irrelevant.

This is not the first instance I've read of of people using Night Tube
as a determinant of potential residential location but really!!

As far as I can tell the determinants a location, price and 'not
having mousetraps in the bedrooms when viewing'.

If we had an appalling night bus service then I might understand the
attraction of a night tube but the Night Bus is very good and
especially at weekends. If nothing else it will typically get people
closer to where they live than a tube line will given the great spread
of bus stops across London.

One of the places we looked at was fairly close to a night bus route -
but it was a north-south route and would have required a change to get
there from the West End.

Old September 8th 15, 07:48 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

In message , at 19:13:24 on Mon, 7 Sep 2015,
The Real Doctor remarked:
My daughter is looking for a flat to rent in London for the next
academic year. She *was* using the night-tube as one indicator of
suitable places to live.

If the Night Tube happens and turns out to be useful, won't it bump up
rents in the places it serves? Wouldn't it be a better indication of
where not to look?

No, because this is just a one-year rental, and the rents are already
determined by the landlords for 2015-2016, the night-tube effect won't
have licked in yet.
Old September 8th 15, 08:40 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On 08/09/15 08:48, Roland Perry wrote:

No, because this is just a one-year rental, and the rents are already
determined by the landlords for 2015-2016, the night-tube effect won't
have licked in yet.

Fair enough. When I lived in London as a student, many years ago, "close
to tube station" excluded areas from consideration, and I suspect that
"close to night tube station" will do so more, if it ever happens.

Ian
Old September 8th 15, 09:02 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

In message , at 09:40:53 on Tue, 8 Sep 2015,
The Real Doctor remarked:
No, because this is just a one-year rental, and the rents are already
determined by the landlords for 2015-2016, the night-tube effect won't
have licked in yet.

Fair enough. When I lived in London as a student, many years ago,
"close to tube station" excluded areas from consideration, and I
suspect that "close to night tube station" will do so more, if it ever
happens.

London student rental prices are very flat because there's a glass
ceiling at the point at which the size of student grants/loans means
they simply can't afford to pay any more. What this tends to mean is
that the accommodation is shabbier than it should be, and any that comes
on the market is snapped up within a day.
Old September 8th 15, 11:35 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Mon, Sep 07, 2015 at 07:09:10PM +0100, Paul Corfield wrote:

If we had an appalling night bus service then I might understand the
attraction of a night tube but the Night Bus is very good and
especially at weekends. If nothing else it will typically get people
closer to where they live than a tube line will given the great spread
of bus stops across London.

Almost all bus stops have no night bus.

There is no one true indentation style,
But if there were K&R would be Its Prophets.
Peace be upon Their Holy Beards.