Old September 8th 15, 02:33 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Borders Railway (Edinburgh - Tweedbank) opening Sun 6 Sep 2015

In article ,
David Cantrell wrote:
On Mon, Sep 07, 2015 at 07:09:10PM +0100, Paul Corfield wrote:

If we had an appalling night bus service then I might understand the
attraction of a night tube but the Night Bus is very good and
especially at weekends. If nothing else it will typically get people
closer to where they live than a tube line will given the great spread
of bus stops across London.

Almost all bus stops have no night bus.

Almost all bus stops aren't served by the proposed night tube
service, either. The coverage of Night Busses is much better than
the coverage of the proposed night-tube service, IMO.

--
Mike Bristow

Old September 8th 15, 05:26 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"David Cantrell" wrote in message
On Mon, Sep 07, 2015 at 07:09:10PM +0100, Paul Corfield wrote:

If we had an appalling night bus service then I might understand the
attraction of a night tube but the Night Bus is very good and
especially at weekends. If nothing else it will typically get people
closer to where they live than a tube line will given the great spread
of bus stops across London.

Almost all bus stops have no night bus.

I don't think you've looked at the network recently

"almost all" is most certainly wrong

I think you'd have a problem justifying a "more than half" claim

tim

Old September 9th 15, 06:15 PM posted to uk.transport.london

tim..... wrote:

"David Cantrell" wrote in message
On Mon, Sep 07, 2015 at 07:09:10PM +0100, Paul Corfield wrote:

If we had an appalling night bus service then I might understand
the attraction of a night tube but the Night Bus is very good and
especially at weekends. If nothing else it will typically get
people closer to where they live than a tube line will given the
great spread of bus stops across London.

Almost all bus stops have no night bus.

I don't think you've looked at the network recently

"almost all" is most certainly wrong

I think you'd have a problem justifying a "more than half" claim

tim

There are 19825 London bus stops, of which 7852 (39.6%) are served by
at least one night bus.

Peter Smyth
Old September 9th 15, 10:53 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Paul Corfield wrote:

On Wed, 9 Sep 2015 18:15:24 +0000 (UTC), "Peter Smyth"
wrote:

There are 19825 London bus stops, of which 7852 (39.6%) are served
by at least one night bus.

I have to ask - where did you get those stats from? I can't recall
ever seeing that level of detail published or quoted by TfL. Not
challenging you btw - just curious.

Downloaded a spreadsheet of bus stops and routes from the TfL website
and then did a quick pivot table in Excel - didn't take very long.

Peter Smyth
Old September 10th 15, 05:23 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 09/09/2015 19:15, Peter Smyth wrote:

tim..... wrote:

"David Cantrell" wrote:

On Mon, Sep 07, 2015 at 07:09:10PM +0100, Paul Corfield wrote:

If we had an appalling night bus service then I might understand
the attraction of a night tube but the Night Bus is very good and
especially at weekends. If nothing else it will typically get
people closer to where they live than a tube line will given the
great spread of bus stops across London.

Almost all bus stops have no night bus.

I don't think you've looked at the network recently

"almost all" is most certainly wrong

I think you'd have a problem justifying a "more than half" claim

There are 19825 London bus stops, of which 7852 (39.6%) are served by
at least one night bus.

Thanks for calculating that!

I thought David Cantrell's comment was well wide of the mark - you've
provided empirical proof!

Perhaps he only takes notice of N-prefixed night bus routes - they used
to be the only night buses in town. However some years ago TfL started
running some night buses on the exact same route as their day
equivalents - rather than having an N-prefix, these services are
described as "24 hour" instead.

I'm a great fan of night buses in London.

Old September 10th 15, 05:39 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 2015\09\09 19:15, Peter Smyth wrote:
tim..... wrote:

"David Cantrell" wrote in message
On Mon, Sep 07, 2015 at 07:09:10PM +0100, Paul Corfield wrote:

If we had an appalling night bus service then I might understand
the attraction of a night tube but the Night Bus is very good and
especially at weekends. If nothing else it will typically get
people closer to where they live than a tube line will given the
great spread of bus stops across London.

Almost all bus stops have no night bus.

I don't think you've looked at the network recently

"almost all" is most certainly wrong

I think you'd have a problem justifying a "more than half" claim

tim

There are 19825 London bus stops, of which 7852 (39.6%) are served by
at least one night bus.

Are you including the 24-hour buses as night buses?

Old September 10th 15, 07:57 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Mizter T" wrote

There are 19825 London bus stops, of which 7852 (39.6%) are served by
at least one night bus.

[...]
Perhaps he only takes notice of N-prefixed night bus routes - they used

to be the only night buses in town. However some years ago TfL started
running some night buses on the exact same route as their day
equivalents - rather than having an N-prefix, these services are
described as "24 hour" instead.

Not always the "exact same route" thus the 65 is extended from Kingston to
Chessington at night.

--
Mike D

Old September 11th 15, 08:19 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 2015\09\11 19:21, Paul Corfield wrote:
On Fri, 11 Sep 2015 18:05:47 +0100, Mizter T
wrote:

On 11/09/2015 10:14, Paul Corfield wrote:

Err no actually. The 65 is unique in running further at night than
during the day but not having a "N" prefix to show the difference. The
N10 was withdrawn and replaced by a 24 hours route 10 to Hammersmith
with the 24 hours 33 running from Hammersmith to Fulwell. The section
through Putney is no longer covered.

Thanks - I thought I'd got that right! Any idea why the 65 doesn't
follow the prefixing logic?

I was told but not sure a public forum is quite the place to explain.
;-)

There are very few N-routes wholly outside central London... the N86 and
N64 are the only I can find. Obviously loads of 24-hour routes are
wholly in the suburbs. I'm not sure if any of this is pertinent.