Old November 29th 15, 10:28 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default No more walking up escalators at Holborn

On 2015\11\29 17:22, Offramp wrote:
On Sunday, 29 November 2015 17:04:36 UTC, wrote:

Walking is bad for escalators. It damages them.

How so?

Standing on an escalator causes no damage. But walking on an escalator can cause flumatics in the Lower Machine Chamber.

Oh no, from there the flumatics might take over the asylum.

Old November 30th 15, 12:51 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Sun, Nov 29, 2015 at 01:00:51PM +0100, Eric wrote:

I wouldn't object, I believe the capacity argument

I believe it too, but I also recognise that capacity and throughput are
different things, and it's throughput that matters the most.

Consider a road. The M25, for example. Its capacity is highest when
traffic isn't moving, because the gap between vehicles is minimised.
Throughput is typically highest at a speed somewhere between 40 and
60mph. At higher speeds throughput decreases because the distance
between vehicles is too high.

Now, an escalator is a bit like a road which has a non-zero minimum
speed. If you ignore the people in the current "standing lane", then all
that matters is the speed that maximises throughput in a single lane. Is
it higher than the minimum or not? Is it a viable walking speed? Can the
traffic sustain that speed over an extended period? Remember, the
relationship between throughput and speed is non-linear and involves
lots of uncertainty and unknown parameters which make it hard to model.
It may even be discontinuous.

--
David Cantrell | Minister for Arbitrary Justice

We found no search results for "crotchet". Did you mean "crotch"?
Old November 30th 15, 01:10 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , at 13:51:40
on Mon, 30 Nov 2015, David Cantrell remarked:
On Sun, Nov 29, 2015 at 01:00:51PM +0100, Eric wrote:

I wouldn't object, I believe the capacity argument

I believe it too, but I also recognise that capacity and throughput are
different things, and it's throughput that matters the most.

Consider a road. The M25, for example. Its capacity is highest when
traffic isn't moving, because the gap between vehicles is minimised.
Throughput is typically highest at a speed somewhere between 40 and
60mph.

Actually it's more like 15mph, although that's unacceptably low to set a
speed limit.

Old November 30th 15, 02:16 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 2015-11-30, David Cantrell wrote:
On Sun, Nov 29, 2015 at 01:00:51PM +0100, Eric wrote:

I wouldn't object, I believe the capacity argument

I believe it too, but I also recognise that capacity and throughput are
different things, and it's throughput that matters the most.

Actually, I am talking about throughput, but someone else used "capacity"
first and I didn't think to change it, because use of the words is
generally sloppy enough that it doesn't matter.

Capacity (in your sense) not much use for escalators, or roads.

My brain has finally dredged up a memory that roads have a saturation
flow rate, and that there is a mathematical model for it, which I don't
remember much about (too long ago and too far away), but the same idea
should be applicable to escalators.

Eric
--
ms fnd in a lbry

Old November 30th 15, 02:32 PM posted to uk.transport.london

David Cantrell wrote:
[...]

There's also the length (ie, rise) of the escalator to consider. If it's
very high, fewer people will choose to walk up, so the walking lane will be
under-used, with long gaps. In such cases, having two standing lanes will
maximise throughput. But with short escalators, lots of people will prefer
to walk, so it's better to have a walking lane.

Old November 30th 15, 03:56 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Mon, 30 Nov 2015 14:10:06 +0000
Roland Perry wrote:
In message , at 13:51:40
on Mon, 30 Nov 2015, David Cantrell remarked:
On Sun, Nov 29, 2015 at 01:00:51PM +0100, Eric wrote:

I wouldn't object, I believe the capacity argument

I believe it too, but I also recognise that capacity and throughput are
different things, and it's throughput that matters the most.

Consider a road. The M25, for example. Its capacity is highest when
traffic isn't moving, because the gap between vehicles is minimised.
Throughput is typically highest at a speed somewhere between 40 and
60mph.

Actually it's more like 15mph, although that's unacceptably low to set a
speed limit.

Oh give it time. I'm sure the "Speed X - 10 causes less 2 * less fatalities"
argument work its magic and we'll all soon be back to walking pace with a man
with a red flag in front. Once 20mph is everywhere we'll soon have the
campaigns for 10mph kicking off. But remember - Think Of The Children!

--
Spud

Old December 1st 15, 07:50 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On 30/11/2015 15:32, Recliner wrote:
There's also the length (ie, rise) of the escalator to consider. If it's
very high, fewer people will choose to walk up, so the walking lane will be
under-used, with long gaps. In such cases, having two standing lanes will
maximise throughput. But with short escalators, lots of people will prefer
to walk, so it's better to have a walking lane.

I think this was the reason given for trying it first at Holborn as it
has rather long escalators, but surely not the longest (Angel?).

Just to comment on the capacity arguments: it might be true (though I'd
like to see the figures in a peer-reviewed publication) that the
throughput is higher with standing on both sides. But as a libertarian
at heart I think this reduces passenger choice in a rather serious way.
I nearly always walk up escalators, even long ones, unless I have
heavy luggage or am very tired. But the current system gives me a
choice - I can get there sooner if I walk up, or wait, usually a short
time, to queue at the foot of the escalator to get into the standing
lane. This new TfL proposal denies me that choice and seems regrettable
on those grounds.

It will also probably have the side-effect of encouraging more
anti-social or gormless folk to stand on the left-hand side of *all*
escalators, when it isn't desirable at all.

--
Clive Page