Old October 11th 16, 03:33 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Battersea extension

wrote:
On Tue, 11 Oct 2016 14:13:49 -0000 (UTC)
Recliner wrote:
Roland Perry wrote:
In message , at 13:43:15 on Tue, 11 Oct
2016, d remarked:

If the teething troubles they had with the JLE were correctly reported,
most of the PED-synching is down to the driver's skills, rather than
technology.

Its ATO.

What is, JLE or the Battersea extension?

Both now, but not the Jubilee when the JLE with its PEDs first opened.

However there still needs to be something to tell the platform doors
to open when the train doors open and I assume its some bit of NFC kit on

the
train.

If ATO doesn't know where the train is, just as well as that sort of NFC
device, I'm astonished.

I think it's the signalling that operates the doors, and of course it knows
exactly where the train is. But I'm not sure how it knows to close the
PEDs.

Or open them given that its still down to the driver to press the open button
AFAIK. I doubt a signal is sent all the way to the main signalling control
system then all the way back to the doors to tell them to open because if the
train is being driven in emergency manual mode because of an ATO failure then
those platform doors won't be opening anytime soon.

Presumably the signalling system knows the train has stopped in the right
place to open the doors. Perhaps the on-board ATO also tells the signalling
system if the doors are open/closed, while the signalling controls whether
the doors can open? There's presumably a manual override for emergencies.

Old October 12th 16, 09:08 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , at 08:43:44 on Wed, 12 Oct
2016, d remarked:
On Tue, 11 Oct 2016 17:02:08 +0100
Roland Perry wrote:
In message , at 14:52:31 on Tue, 11 Oct
2016,
d remarked:

It's the @gioia. part I'm interested in.

Is that user-specific, or do all aioe.org users get the same hostname?

You think every user who posts on this site gets a unique host to themselves?

That's what I'm asking, numbskull.

Yes, all the thousands of users who use aioe get a server to themselves!
For free!

It'd be a virtual server, obviously.

I don't need to produce anything pal. If you don't understand usenet thats
not my problem.

And you don't apparently understand NNTP posting hostnames.

Uh huh. If you'd bothered to do a lookup you'd have realised gioia.aioe.org
isn't even a valid DNS address, presumably gioia is either an internal server
name or just some ident they use.

Hosts don't have to be globally reachable, and none of this hostname
stuff is unique to nntp.

Anyway, looking closer at your headers the posting-hostname is

random looking string.user.gioia.aioe.org

But what would a numbskull know eh?

The difference between a server and a virtual server?

Why don't you try posting from the site yourself and see what pops up. Since
you're such an expert on NNTP you don't need to reconfigure your client, you
can do it just using telnet.

Why reinvent the wheel when I can ask ?
Old October 12th 16, 10:11 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Wed, 12 Oct 2016 10:08:22 +0100
Roland Perry wrote:
In message , at 08:43:44 on Wed, 12 Oct
Yes, all the thousands of users who use aioe get a server to themselves!
For free!

It'd be a virtual server, obviously.

Ah, mais oui! Everytime someone posts something they start up an entire VM
+ NNTP server just to make sure the posting host field is different.
Why didn't I think of that??

Anyway, looking closer at your headers the posting-hostname is

random looking string.user.gioia.aioe.org

Fascinating.

But what would a numbskull know eh?

The difference between a server and a virtual server?

You're right, I have no idea. When I was a sys admin I just used to wing it.

Why don't you try posting from the site yourself and see what pops up. Since
you're such an expert on NNTP you don't need to reconfigure your client, you
can do it just using telnet.

Why reinvent the wheel when I can ask ?

Why do you assume I am conversant with the operational setup of a free
news service based in the netherlands?

Interestingly through your domain name I've just found out your wifes name,
your home address and what car you drive. Thats not a clever thing to allow
these days.

--
Spud

Old October 12th 16, 12:32 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , at 10:11:55 on Wed, 12 Oct
2016, d remarked:
Yes, all the thousands of users who use aioe get a server to themselves!
For free!

It'd be a virtual server, obviously.

Ah, mais oui! Everytime someone posts something they start up an entire VM
+ NNTP server just to make sure the posting host field is different.
Why didn't I think of that??

What would your preferred name for the random looking string part of
the posting host's name be? ...

Anyway, looking closer at your headers the posting-hostname is

random looking string.user.gioia.aioe.org

Fascinating.

But what would a numbskull know eh?

The difference between a server and a virtual server?

You're right, I have no idea.

.... I expect we can at least agree it's not a physical server.

When I was a sys admin I just used to wing it.

You might be surprised how many do.

Why don't you try posting from the site yourself and see what pops up. Since
you're such an expert on NNTP you don't need to reconfigure your client, you
can do it just using telnet.

Why reinvent the wheel when I can ask ?

Why do you assume I am conversant with the operational setup of a free
news service based in the netherlands?

By examining their headers.

Interestingly through your domain name I've just found out your wifes name,
your home address and what car you drive.

Blue Saab? No not any more.

Thats not a clever thing to allow these days.

Don't be too quick to admit to stalking me. In any event with the same
domain and wife for more than 20yrs there's not much scope for putting
those genies back in the bottle.