Old October 13th 16, 01:26 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Battersea extension

In message , at 12:39:48 on
Thu, 13 Oct 2016, Recliner remarked:

No idea given the blue saab is the only one in the picture, but sometimes a
bluff produces results. Ask a poker player My guess is you no longer have a
car - probably an organic meat free rickshaw with the seat padded with old
copies of The Guardian or something.

We already know from Roland's postings here what his current car is,
including what kind of transmission it has.

Don't confuse the Boltar-troll with information like that. It's beyond
his comprehension.
Old October 13th 16, 01:28 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , at 13:10:15 on Thu, 13 Oct
2016, d remarked:

My original point was I found out his home address from his usenet post
in literally 10 seconds flat.

And my point is "why do I care". Assuming it's not the address of my
accountant, of course.
Old October 13th 16, 01:42 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Thu, 13 Oct 2016 14:26:49 +0100
Roland Perry wrote:
In message , at 12:39:48 on
Thu, 13 Oct 2016, Recliner remarked:

No idea given the blue saab is the only one in the picture, but sometimes a
bluff produces results. Ask a poker player My guess is you no longer have

car - probably an organic meat free rickshaw with the seat padded with old
copies of The Guardian or something.

We already know from Roland's postings here what his current car is,
including what kind of transmission it has.

Don't confuse the Boltar-troll with information like that. It's beyond
his comprehension.

As apparently most things to do with usenet is beyond yours.

--
Spud

Old October 13th 16, 01:49 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Thu, 13 Oct 2016 14:30:32 +0100
Roland Perry wrote:
In message , at 13:07:52 on Thu, 13 Oct
Stalking doesn't "just happen". Even nutters don't pick a random person to
stalk, there's always a reason.

Precisely so. If someone wants to stalk you they'll do irregardless of
an accommodation address on your email domain.

You can't stalk someone you can't find.

And if they can't find your address or where you work then there's
really not a lot they can do other than bother you online which unless
you're a 13 year old girl or some hopeless bedwetter is an irrelevance.

They can do vastly more. Which is why knowing the address is down in the
noise level.

Is it? I'd be far more concerned with someone turning up on the doorstep with
a knife than someone sending me nasty texts or emails or finding out my CC
number and buying crap on amazon. YMMV however.

--
Spud

Old October 13th 16, 04:31 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Roland Perry" wrote in message
In message , at 10:43:46 on Thu, 13 Oct 2016,
tim... remarked:

Don't flatter yourself. If you put your home address in a public
repository that can be accessed by anyone with half a clue then more
fool you. Anyone with any sense registers their domain at their
accountants address or failing that a P.O Box.

I think you misspelt "anyone with something to hide..."

I think that's unfair

especially from a person who spends his spare time discussing the minutiae
of Stalker Protection legislation with government

Some stalking prevention measures can be very effective, but hiding where
you've been living for years (rather than where you moved to last week to
avoid the stalker) is extremely low on the list,

If I was only being stalked on the internet (as I understand some are, I
guess you can supply some figures)

I would damned well want to be sure that my real world address couldn't be
gleaned from my online account details.

and in our modern big-data[3] world virtually impossible anyway.

As someone with an entirely unique name, finding me from my real name would
be as easy as falling off a log.

It's why I don't post using it

OTOH, if you have a more common name (as you do) then people can only find
you with the help of extra information that you may have posted.

Unlike you I am careful not to do that either.

You are right - I am paranoid. I have no reason to fear being stalked,
internet or real world. But I do :-)

Yes, I'd like to see people thinking more seriously about whether people's
names and addresses should be scrapeable from Companies House,

finding my real world address from my company's name is by far the easiest
route, I agree

One reason for registering it at my accountant, I suppose

electoral roll, planning permission applications[1],

do they have names on?

and various other places[2] plus DVLA, Nominet, Verisign and so on. But
that's a lost cause at the moment because the law says it's preferable for
the public to be able to check up on who you really are, than to protect
these persons on the registers from stalkers.

I have lived/worked in a country where everyone can find out the name,
address, birthday, Id card number etc with no formality (some instantly for
free, some with a charge) No-one complains about this, they all think it's
normal.

What does annoy me is detective series from said country using the same
"rest of the world" storylines about having to struggle to find out this
information when it's all available to them in said database (but that's not
really relevant to the topic in hand)

tim