Old January 23rd 17, 08:39 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Gatwick airport overbridge

They eventually got wise to it, however. Thus, whenever IRIS failed to
recognise somebody, they would simply say the equivalent of:

"That's your fault. Get to the back of the queue, you dog!"

It's their fault the machine doesn't recognise me (I was enroled, not
pretending to be enroled).

Ditto. When I was enroled I don't think the machine ever successfully
recognized me.

It's not a problem with the technology -- the iris machines at
Canadian airports work fine.

Old January 23rd 17, 09:20 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Roland Perry wrote:
In message
-sept
ember.org, at 20:19:31 on Mon, 23 Jan 2017, Recliner
remarked:

In effect, by closing the busier of the two taxiways, you'd be reducing the
effective capacity by about 24 gates. At least this slashing of capacity
should dramatically reduce the queues at Immigration!

How busy is it? I don't recall ever seeing a plane using it. Certainly
not the nose-to-tail queue you imagine it to be.

Actually, if you look at it, the bit you want to close actually has two
separate routes. Planes from the circular satellite and the main South pier
could both be moving to/from the runway without interfering with each other
or using the North taxiway.

So, in effect, you'd be closing two thirds of the routes between your
blighted area's 30 gates and the runway.

Old January 23rd 17, 09:42 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 23.01.2017 7:56 PM, Roland Perry wrote:
In message , at 16:30:21 on Mon, 23 Jan
2017, Clank remarked:

Of course, everyone has the right to do things their own way. I'm
intimately familiar with Russian visas, and there they do have a separate
visa for business as opposed to tourism. That's mainly a mechanism for
charging more for the benefits of a business visa - not, surprisingly the
right to do business in particular (you don't even have to show you intend
to to get one, you just buy your invitation from a different place), but
rather the more expensive business visa gives you multiple entries over a
year, rather than the tourist visa which is issued for the exact number of
days of your planned trip.

Just to show Usenet is living up to its reputation of provoking
counter-examples, I've got a Russian visa for what they classified as a
business trip, valid for one entry/exit during a 30 day window.

Perhaps you could name the decade?

My information being up to date as of approximately 8 weeks ago. (Having a
girlfriend with a Russian passport tends to keep you keenly aware of such
things.)

You may or may not be aware, but regimes change - in particular, with Russia
the principle of reciprocity means they follow whichever fad the UK does.
That means that, for example, when the UK decided to demand fingerprints,
Russia immediately decided the same - decidedly inconvenient as it meant UK
citizens overseas had to fly to London to apply for a visa because they
didn't have the fingerprint equipment anywhere else. (This at least has
been relaxed recently - my last visa I was able to obtain in Buc without
needing prints.)

Similarly I have one-visit dated business visas for Egypt.

It's completely mystical what that is meant to be similar or relevant to.
Old January 23rd 17, 10:00 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 24.01.2017 12:42 AM, Clank wrote:
[...]

Ah, I think the point you're making might be "it's possible to apply for a
business visa without any of the benefits which make a business visa
useful". Which is of course true, in the sense that it is possible to buy
a first class rail ticket and then travel in standard class. It makes you
an idiot, but we are rather used to that. (I bet you won't even believe
the visa for Turkey I obtained today was delivered electronically - much
like mobile boarding passes and ticketing, unpossible!)
Old January 23rd 17, 10:14 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 2017-01-23 20:06:31 +0000, Roland Perry said:

As per my example - meetings to obtain requirements for and then
demonstrate a piece of software which is built out of country =
business meetings. But I'd say providing paid training or on-site
implementation for said software is work.

I agree. Will this sort of thing require a work permit from the EU
country, post-Brexit?

I don't think anyone knows yet. Quite possibly.

Neil
--
Neil Williams

Old January 23rd 17, 11:34 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Roland Perry wrote:

But what if I were to organise a meeting, booking a conference room,
greeting guests and holding a seminar (where I was speaking). Is that
closer to "work" than "business"?

I manage engineering teams in the US, India and the EU and I can say the rules
aren't black in white. They strongly depend on your visa legal counsel and the
mood of the border control agent on any given day.

In general, the rule of thumb I use is that talking in any format (one to one,
giving or receiving instruction to one or many people, etc.) falls under a
business visa.

Pick up a screwdriver, connect a cable, even in the context of training and
things start to get complicated.

There are also ancillary rules - your paycheck needs to come from your home
country, your reporting manager needs to be in your home country and you are not
allowed to take direction from any local person.
Old January 24th 17, 08:13 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In message
-septe
mber.org, at 21:33:10 on Mon, 23 Jan 2017, Recliner
remarked:

In effect, by closing the busier of the two taxiways, you'd be reducing the
effective capacity by about 24 gates. At least this slashing of capacity
should dramatically reduce the queues at Immigration!

How busy is it? I don't recall ever seeing a plane using it. Certainly
not the nose-to-tail queue you imagine it to be.

Again, you give the impression of never having used Gatwick South.

I've flown from it several times. The last occasion the baggage handling
system had broken down, and everything was delayed by an hour or two.

Of course that taxiway is used by planes using any of the 20 or so gates
for which it provides the best route to/from the takeoff and landing
runway. If you'd used the South terminal, you'd know that. And when when
you're waiting in North pier 6, you don't see any planes (eg, Virgin or
Norwegian) from the South terminal passing under the bridge.

There's something wrong with the arithmetic. You said that merging the
taxi-ways would reduce capacity by 24, and I think we agreed that the
total in that bit of the airport was 30, so where's the 6 come from?
Old January 24th 17, 08:19 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , at 22:42:38 on Mon, 23 Jan
2017, Clank remarked:
[...]

Mid 2000's.

My information being up to date as of approximately 8 weeks ago. (Having a
girlfriend with a Russian passport tends to keep you keenly aware of such
things.)

You may or may not be aware, but regimes change - in particular, with Russia
the principle of reciprocity means they follow whichever fad the UK does.

I'm not seeking to give anyone up to date travel information, just
noting that there are countries which have, or have had, additional
rules [including one-time visas] for business flyers...

Similarly I have one-visit dated business visas for Egypt.

It's completely mystical what that is meant to be similar or relevant to.

.... as is Egypt such a country.
Old January 24th 17, 08:19 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , at 23:00:30 on Mon, 23 Jan
2017, Clank remarked:

Just to show Usenet is living up to its reputation of provoking
counter-examples, I've got a Russian visa for what they classified as
a business trip, valid for one entry/exit during a 30 day window.

Ah, I think the point you're making might be "it's possible to apply for a
business visa without any of the benefits which make a business visa
useful".

Being able to enter once is useful.

(I bet you won't even believe the visa for Turkey I obtained today was
delivered electronically - much like mobile boarding passes and
ticketing, unpossible!)

I bought mine at the airport on arrival. Sounds like another process
that's change since then.
Old January 24th 17, 08:21 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , at 21:36:58 on Mon, 23 Jan
2017, John Levine remarked:

The only two times I've been to India I had in effect a United Nations
"diplomatic visa", so wouldn't know.

But what if I were to organise a meeting, booking a conference room,
greeting guests and holding a seminar (where I was speaking). Is that
closer to "work" than "business"?

In India, that would likely require a conference visa which is
different to a work or a tourist visa. I have one in my passport.

Would a conference *attendee* (as well as promoter) also require a
conference visa?