Old April 4th 17, 03:46 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Woking to Heathrow

In message , at 11:39:23 on Tue, 4 Apr
2017, Neil Williams remarked:
On 2017-04-04 09:53:31 +0000, Roland Perry said:

In message , at 10:16:06 on Tue, 4
Apr 2017, Neil Williams remarked:
The loophole seems to be the way they take bookings, but then
outsource the driving to subcontractors.
That's what basically every minicab company does. Uber is just a
minicab company. The only difference from a regular one is that
dispatch is automatic rather than a person doing it.

But maybe a regular minicab company has a fleet insurance policy.

Typically no it does not unless it owns the fleet.

Normally, minicab drivers drive their own car and arrange their own insurance.

Cite please. The situation with Uber has reportedly brought these
policies into the glare of publicity - covering the hire and reward
supplement for all the drivers/cars when on duty, irrespective of who
owns the car.

Old April 4th 17, 03:47 PM posted to uk.railway,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.transport.london

In message , at 11:20:17 on Tue, 4 Apr 2017,
tim... remarked:
The ongoing training programme, training of new guards, and as you
suggest the employment of new on-train staff at a different grade,
despite not "demoting" the grandfathered-in existing guards.

That's what BA did when it hired in new starters (on lower salaries) to
work new routes from LGW.

and look what happens

a couple of years later they go on strike because they aren't earning
the same as legacy workers flying from LHR.

Still saved (and is saving) BA a lot of money.
Old April 4th 17, 05:20 PM posted to uk.railway,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.transport.london

wrote:
On Tue, 04 Apr 2017 11:12:51 +0200
Jarle Hammen Knudsen wrote:
On Mon, 03 Apr 2017 09:27:52 +0100, e27002 aurora
wrote:

Have you ever tried to manoeuvre on the Underground with a large
suitcase and a sizable piece of hand baggage, i.e. a pilot's case? I
only tried once. :-)

Yes, but in later years it's been two suitcases and a carry-on
backpack, and often a large shoulder bag added when going home.

Why do some people feel the need to take half their wardrobe with them when
they go on holiday? If I can't fit everything into a medium sized hold-all
when I go away then I chuck stuff out until I can.

How do you fit in your walking boots, waterproofs, fleece, walking
trousers, etc with shirts and underwear for a couple of weeks into that?

;-)

--
Jeremy Double
Old April 4th 17, 06:59 PM posted to uk.railway,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.transport.london

On 4 Apr 2017 16:20:19 GMT, Jeremy Double

wrote:

Have you ever tried to manoeuvre on the Underground with a large
suitcase and a sizable piece of hand baggage, i.e. a pilot's case? I
only tried once. :-)

Yes, but in later years it's been two suitcases and a carry-on
backpack, and often a large shoulder bag added when going home.

Why do some people feel the need to take half their wardrobe with them when
they go on holiday? If I can't fit everything into a medium sized hold-all
when I go away then I chuck stuff out until I can.

How do you fit in your walking boots, waterproofs, fleece, walking
trousers, etc with shirts and underwear for a couple of weeks into that?

;-)

You wear your walking boots, waterproofs, fleece and walking trousers,
of course. That leaves space in the holdall for the underwear and
shirts. You may get strange looks in the terminal, but it certainly
minimises luggage :-)

Disregarding the smiley, when I used to fly to Switzerland regularly
for my work, usually just for two to four days at a time, I found that
travelling in winter made it a lot easier to have everything in
carry-on luggage, as a big coat with lots of pockets can take a
surprising amount of stuff.

Mark
Old April 4th 17, 08:32 PM posted to uk.railway,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.transport.london

On 04/04/17 19:34, wrote:
Some firms make special wearable luggage now if people want to take
things to extremes.
eg
http://www.jaktogo.com/

I expect that shoplifters could be another marketing opportunity.

G.Harman

Producing goods that are attractive to shoplifters may not be a
profitable strategy.

Old April 4th 17, 09:11 PM posted to uk.railway,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.transport.london

On 04/04/2017 19:34, wrote:
On Tue, 04 Apr 2017 18:59:17 +0100, Mark Goodge
wrote:

How do you fit in your walking boots, waterproofs, fleece, walking
trousers, etc with shirts and underwear for a couple of weeks into that?

;-)

You wear your walking boots, waterproofs, fleece and walking trousers,
of course. That leaves space in the holdall for the underwear and
shirts. You may get strange looks in the terminal, but it certainly
minimises luggage :-)

Apart from the waterproofs I have done that a couple of times,of
course if you are traveling to somewhere where it is hot at the
airport but taking clothing for colder parts of the country it can be
a bit uncomfortable till you can change.

Disregarding the smiley, when I used to fly to Switzerland regularly
for my work, usually just for two to four days at a time, I found that
travelling in winter made it a lot easier to have everything in
carry-on luggage, as a big coat with lots of pockets can take a
surprising amount of stuff.

Some firms make special wearable luggage now if people want to take
things to extremes.
eg
http://www.jaktogo.com/

I expect that shoplifters could be another marketing opportunity.

Round your part of the world I would have thought poachers were ahead of
the game.

--
Graeme Wall
This account not read.

Old April 4th 17, 09:28 PM posted to uk.railway,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.transport.london

On 04/04/2017 18:59, Mark Goodge wrote:
[snip]

You wear your walking boots, waterproofs, fleece and walking trousers,
of course. That leaves space in the holdall for the underwear and
shirts. You may get strange looks in the terminal, but it certainly
minimises luggage :-)

Disregarding the smiley, when I used to fly to Switzerland regularly
for my work, usually just for two to four days at a time, I found that
travelling in winter made it a lot easier to have everything in
carry-on luggage, as a big coat with lots of pockets can take a
surprising amount of stuff.

Can recall flying from Saudi Arabia on a flight late evening (still hot
and humid) and watching a passenger wearing shorts and T-shirt shivering
walking from the plane at Charles de Galle at something like 0600 in the
winter ...

--
Colin

Old April 4th 17, 09:41 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway,misc.transport.urban-transit

tim... wrote:

"Roland Perry" wrote in message
In message , at 23:33:00 on Mon, 3 Apr 2017,
Anna Noyd-Dryver remarked:

If a train is stranded without a functional driver then the situation
can serious especially if the signalling is such that the signaller
doesn't know exactly where the train is. I dread to think what might
happen if this is somewhere without mobile coverage.

It's a balance between what might go wrong once a year, and the cost of
all those guards.

Taking the recent concrete example of introduction of DOO, I'm pretty sure
the agreements on Southern (for now at least) involve a member of staff
being on every train (with limited exceptions), and I'm pretty sure they
were re-employed on their new contracts with no loss of pay. Obviously
both
of these things may change in the future, but at present, where does your
huge cash saving come from?

The ongoing training programme, training of new guards, and as you suggest
the employment of new on-train staff at a different grade, despite not
"demoting" the grandfathered-in existing guards.

That's what BA did when it hired in new starters (on lower salaries) to work
new routes from LGW.

and look what happens

a couple of years later they go on strike because they aren't earning the
same as legacy workers flying from LHR.

Not quite. The 'Mixed fleet' cabin crew fly from LHR, not LGW. They
actually earn less than the LGW crew, who earn less than those on the
former BEA LHR routes, who earn less than those on the old BOAC contracts.

Old April 4th 17, 11:55 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 2017-04-04 14:46:19 +0000, Roland Perry said:

Cite please.

Cite please that a minicab company *does* arrange insurance?

The situation with Uber has reportedly brought these policies into the
glare of publicity - covering the hire and reward supplement for all
the drivers/cars when on duty, irrespective of who owns the car.

Uber does not have such a policy in the UK. It does in the US of course.

Neil
--
Neil Williams