Old August 3rd 17, 11:28 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default New York Times on Crossrail

In message
-septe
mber.org, at 07:19:00 on Thu, 3 Aug 2017, Recliner
remarked:

But IEPs aren't expected on that line.

Aren't they...

No, all the ones on order are spoken for by VTEC and GWR.

Not true: do your research.

Cite please.

There's only one tph (to Nottingham) operated by HSTs, and now
electrification has been cancelled they'll have to find something else
to replace the HST. But I doubt it'll be IEPs.

Doubt it all you likeā€¦

It makes no sense to have an IEP mini-fleet to run 1tph.
Old August 3rd 17, 11:50 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Thu, 3 Aug 2017 12:28:02 +0100, Roland Perry
wrote:

In message
-septe
mber.org, at 07:19:00 on Thu, 3 Aug 2017, Recliner
remarked:

But IEPs aren't expected on that line.

Aren't they...

No, all the ones on order are spoken for by VTEC and GWR.

Not true: do your research.

Cite please.

Class 802/2s have been ordered for Hull Trains (5) and TPE (19).
You'll be delighted that this is confirmed by Wikipedia:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Britis...#Fleet_details

There's only one tph (to Nottingham) operated by HSTs, and now
electrification has been cancelled they'll have to find something else
to replace the HST. But I doubt it'll be IEPs.

Doubt it all you like…

It makes no sense to have an IEP mini-fleet to run 1tph.

There's six HSTs. Grayling says bi-modes will replace them. Can you
think of any other bi-modes available for immediate purchase with 100+
mph capability? If Hull trains can operate five, why shouldn't EMT?
Presumably Hitachi will maintain them.
Old August 3rd 17, 12:23 PM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote:

[...]

Actually, I've just looked again at the Rail article, and it sounds
like the class 802 order could be much larger. It talks about bi-modes
to Sheffield, which suggests that more or even the whole of the
existing diesel fleet (27x222s and 9 HSTs) could be replaced by 802s.

I suppose it'll be decided by the DfT this summer, as there won't be
time for the next franchise operator to select an HST replacement
before they have to go, and it makes little sense for Stagecoach to
select the new stock as it may have lost the franchise before it
arrives (as with the 707s on SWT). As Grayling is confidently talking
about bi-modes, the decision may well have been taken already. They
may ask for bids, but I don't see who but Hitachi could deliver in
time.
Old August 3rd 17, 02:53 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , at 12:50:05 on
wrote:

In message
-septe
mber.org, at 07:19:00 on Thu, 3 Aug 2017, Recliner
remarked:

But IEPs aren't expected on that line.

Aren't they...

No, all the ones on order are spoken for by VTEC and GWR.

Not true: do your research.

Cite please.

Class 802/2s have been ordered for Hull Trains (5) and TPE (19).
You'll be delighted that this is confirmed by Wikipedia:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Britis...#Fleet_details

Glad to see you have joined the "Wikipedia says it" bandwagon.

There's only one tph (to Nottingham) operated by HSTs, and now
electrification has been cancelled they'll have to find something else
to replace the HST. But I doubt it'll be IEPs.

Doubt it all you likeā€¦

It makes no sense to have an IEP mini-fleet to run 1tph.

There's six HSTs.

Wiki says they have 24 power cars. I agree that you probably only
actually need about six sets. But Cricklewood has numerous parked up
during the day (rather than shuttling between Nottingham and London).

http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/sear...03/0200-0159?s
tp=WVS&show=all&order=wtt&toc=EM

Grayling says bi-modes will replace them.

He's waffling.

Can you think of any other bi-modes available for immediate purchase
with 100+ mph capability? If Hull trains can operate five, why
shouldn't EMT? Presumably Hitachi will maintain them.

More likely EMT's successor will get Hull's Adelante's cascaded to them,
like the Pioneers before them.
Old August 3rd 17, 03:34 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , at 12:50:05 on
wrote:

[...]

No, you're the one who's waffling, having already told us that no IEPs had
been ordered other than for GWR and EC, and that no magazines had yet
covered the story that IEPs would be used on the MML.

Can you think of any other bi-modes available for immediate purchase
with 100+ mph capability? If Hull trains can operate five, why
shouldn't EMT? Presumably Hitachi will maintain them.

More likely EMT's successor will get Hull's Adelante's cascaded to them,
like the Pioneers before them.

You seem to have developed a taste for being repeatedly proved wrongā€¦

I don't think we'll have long to wait for the class 802 order; the only
question is how many. I suspect it may be another mass extinction job.

Old August 4th 17, 11:02 PM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote:

In message
-septe
mber.org, at 07:19:00 on Thu, 3 Aug 2017, Recliner
remarked:

But IEPs aren't expected on that line.

Aren't they...

No, all the ones on order are spoken for by VTEC and GWR.

Not true: do your research.

Cite please.

Class 802/2s have been ordered for Hull Trains (5) and TPE (19).

IEP is a DfT procurement programme, rather than a type of rolling stock.
The Hull Trains and TPE trains (and some of the GWR ones) are being
bought conventionally by "normal" ROSCOs, rather than as part of the IEP.

cf random industrial saddle tanks not necessarily being J94s, or Javelin
being a brand name for a service to Stratford during the 2012 Olympics
which was operated on behalf of (cont'd platform 94)

--
Arthur Figgis Surrey, UK
Old August 5th 17, 04:50 AM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote:

In message
-septe
mber.org, at 07:19:00 on Thu, 3 Aug 2017, Recliner
remarked:

But IEPs aren't expected on that line.

Aren't they...

No, all the ones on order are spoken for by VTEC and GWR.

Not true: do your research.

Cite please.

Class 802/2s have been ordered for Hull Trains (5) and TPE (19).

IEP is a DfT procurement programme, rather than a type of rolling stock.
The Hull Trains and TPE trains (and some of the GWR ones) are being
bought conventionally by "normal" ROSCOs, rather than as part of the IEP.

Yes, I know, but it's a convenient, widely-used shorthand that everyone
understands. And this stock might well be ordered by the DfT anyway.

Old August 5th 17, 06:33 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , at
00:02:59 on Sat, 5 Aug 2017, Arthur Figgis
remarked:

But IEPs aren't expected on that line.

Aren't they...

No, all the ones on order are spoken for by VTEC and GWR.

Not true: do your research.

Cite please.

Class 802/2s have been ordered for Hull Trains (5) and TPE (19).

IEP is a DfT procurement programme, rather than a type of rolling
stock. The Hull Trains and TPE trains (and some of the GWR ones) are
being bought conventionally by "normal" ROSCOs, rather than as part of
the IEP.

While I agree with that, until an order is placed for class
800-something for the MML then it's just as much vapourware
as this for 'The North':

"... deploying alternative-fuel trains on the route by 2021",

the date for the MML refranchise,

the deadline for new tiolets in HSTs,

and most ludicrous: "hydrogen power".

ps. and there's always the weasel words - "subject to business case"