Old June 6th 20, 04:45 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

Default New Freedom pass peak hour restriction

"Arthur Figgis" wrote in message
On 06/06/2020 11:11, Roland Perry wrote:

Public transport day-tickets are usually 4am-4am.

Are they? One of the first things I look for when buying them is what they
a I've seen until last service, 00:00-24:00, 24 h from purchase, 24 h
from first use (handy when staying somewhere overnight),

24 hours from first use is common in Europe

but I can't recall anywhere in the UK that uses that method

Old June 6th 20, 07:42 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

Am 06.06.2020 um 18:45 schrieb tim...:

"Arthur Figgis" wrote in message
On 06/06/2020 11:11, Roland Perry wrote:

Public transport day-tickets are usually 4am-4am.

Are they? One of the first things I look for when buying them is what
they a I've seen until last service, 00:00-24:00, 24 h from
purchase, 24 h from first use (handy when staying somewhere overnight),

24 hours from first use is common in Europe

but I can't recall anywhere in the UK that uses that method

In my region, they changed from 24h to "up till 2am" about 3 years ago.
Old June 6th 20, 08:10 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

GB wrote:

And, I thought the trains were going to run all night?

Night Tube is suspended indefinitely AIUI.

Anna Noyd-Dryver
Old June 6th 20, 08:10 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

tim... wrote:

"Arthur Figgis" wrote in message
On 06/06/2020 11:11, Roland Perry wrote:

Public transport day-tickets are usually 4am-4am.

Are they? One of the first things I look for when buying them is what they
a I've seen until last service, 00:00-24:00, 24 h from purchase, 24 h
from first use (handy when staying somewhere overnight),

24 hours from first use is common in Europe

but I can't recall anywhere in the UK that uses that method

I had a ticket somewhere in Japan (I think it was) like that, which meant
hanging about in the hotel for another hour on the first day to make sure
that the ticket would still be valid for getting to the airport/station (I
can't remember which, or where) for our onwards travel the next day.

Anna Noyd-Dryver

Old June 6th 20, 08:51 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

On 06/06/2020 20:42, Rolf Mantel wrote:
Am 06.06.2020 um 18:45 schrieb tim...:

"Arthur Figgis" wrote in message
On 06/06/2020 11:11, Roland Perry wrote:

Public transport day-tickets are usually 4am-4am.

Are they? One of the first things I look for when buying them is what
they a I've seen until last service, 00:00-24:00, 24 h from
purchase, 24 h from first use (handy when staying somewhere overnight),

24 hours from first use is common in Europe

but I can't recall anywhere in the UK that uses that method

In my region, they changed from 24h to "up till 2am" about 3 years ago.

When I was driving in Birmingham, day tickets were valid from 0930 until
close of daytime services. Not sure what they are these days.

--
Ria in Aberdeen

Old June 6th 20, 08:59 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Anna Noyd-Dryver wrote:
GB wrote:

And, I thought the trains were going to run all night?

Night Tube is suspended indefinitely AIUI.

… along with London's night economy which it serves. For obvious reasons,
I've not been in a town centre at night lately, but it must be weirdly
empty, with all pubs, restaurants, theatres, clubs, etc closed.

Old June 6th 20, 09:05 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

On 05/06/2020 18:28, Certes wrote:
It's a long-standing oddity that on Fridays the national bus pass is not valid between 11pm and midnight (after midnight of course it's Saturday with no time restrictions).

...whilst presumably you have to be home by midnight on a Sunday?Â* I
wonder whether the "day" used by the checking driver or machine really
changes at 24:00 or at end of service/transition to night buses.

Some time ago I got on a bus at around 23:15 on a Friday night (I was delayed on another route) and half expected to have to pay, and indeed my bus pass didn't work the machine, but the driver said something to the effect of "don't worry about it" and waved me through. There are so few local buses (outside London) that run after midnight that I haven't been able to check whether it would have worked after midnight. But it certainly works quite early on Saturday mornings.

--
Clive Page
Old June 6th 20, 09:31 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Recliner wrote:
Anna Noyd-Dryver wrote:
GB wrote:

And, I thought the trains were going to run all night?

Night Tube is suspended indefinitely AIUI.

… along with London's night economy which it serves. For obvious reasons,
I've not been in a town centre at night lately, but it must be weirdly
empty, with all pubs, restaurants, theatres, clubs, etc closed.

I was surprised to see one of the burger vans back in the centre of Bristol
at 3am this week.

Night tube has apparently been losing huge amounts of money since it began,
so I suspect that it won't return any time soon.

Anna Noyd-Dryver
Old June 6th 20, 09:54 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

Anna Noyd-Dryver wrote:
Recliner wrote:
Anna Noyd-Dryver wrote:
GB wrote:

And, I thought the trains were going to run all night?

Night Tube is suspended indefinitely AIUI.

… along with London's night economy which it serves. For obvious reasons,
I've not been in a town centre at night lately, but it must be weirdly
empty, with all pubs, restaurants, theatres, clubs, etc closed.

I was surprised to see one of the burger vans back in the centre of Bristol
at 3am this week.

Night tube has apparently been losing huge amounts of money since it began,
so I suspect that it won't return any time soon.

Ah, I didn't know that. They kept on putting out bullish statements on how
well it was doing, and now popular it's becoming, but not anything on the
finances. You probably have to dig deep into TfL's financial reports to see
an analysis of Night Tube numbers, if they're published at all.
Old June 6th 20, 09:56 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On 06/06/2020 21:59, Recliner wrote:
Anna Noyd-Dryver wrote:
GB wrote:

And, I thought the trains were going to run all night?

Night Tube is suspended indefinitely AIUI.

… along with London's night economy which it serves. For obvious reasons,
I've not been in a town centre at night lately, but it must be weirdly
empty, with all pubs, restaurants, theatres, clubs, etc closed.

It's like that in the daytime as well. Every time I go food shopping
it's like Sunday in the 1960's, very depressing. I just wonder how many
of the closed shops will reopen, there were enough empty ones along most
of the main streets here before all this started, I dread to think how
many will be like that once they are allowed to reopen.

--
Ria in Aberdeen