Old May 9th 21, 04:55 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

Default I.O.W reopening delayed.

wrote:
On Sun, 09 May 2021 15:35:42 GMT
Recliner wrote:
wrote:
The odd DMU now and then doesn't really compare to an electrified surburban
line.

What makes an electrified line special? Ruislip also sees frequent

Hmm, an electrified suburban commuter service out of liverpool street that
serves large parts of north east london, hertforshire and essex vs a line
that meanders its way to High Wycombe passing through not many stations
on the way.... tricky.....

loco-hauled express trains — how many of those pass the Victoria line
depot?

Express trains on the wycombe line?

Amazingly, your knowledge of geography is even worse than your knowledge of
engineering or railways!

Old May 9th 21, 05:20 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

On Sun, 09 May 2021 15:55:04 GMT
Recliner wrote:
wrote:
Express trains on the wycombe line?

Amazingly, your knowledge of geography is even worse than your knowledge of
engineering or railways!

Oh sorry, I forgot, you think its a main line to birmingham. Yes, why would
anyone get a train direct from euston to brum on the WCML when they could
fart around getting there from paddington going via wycombe and bicester
at a leisurely pace in a diesel train.

Old May 9th 21, 09:55 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

wrote:
On Sat, 8 May 2021 17:05:19 -0000 (UTC)
Anna Noyd-Dryver wrote:
wrote:
No doubt. The LU system isn't very effective at it, but it is effective at
stopping people falling on the track. I imagine the reason its not on the
above ground sections of the JLE is that the mechanisms arn't built to
withstand the elements and there'd be constant failures.

As I posted last time we discussed this topic, several systems worldwide
have platform edge doors (half height and full height) on open platforms.

And I bet those half height doors really work wonders for ventilation, right?

If it's an outdoor station then ventilation clearly isn't the purpose of
the PEDs in that instance *rollseyes*

Anna Noyd-Dryver

Old May 9th 21, 09:55 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

wrote:
On Sun, 09 May 2021 15:55:04 GMT
Recliner wrote:
wrote:
Express trains on the wycombe line?

Amazingly, your knowledge of geography is even worse than your knowledge of
engineering or railways!

Oh sorry, I forgot, you think its a main line to birmingham. Yes, why would
anyone get a train direct from euston to brum on the WCML when they could
fart around getting there from paddington going via wycombe and bicester
at a leisurely pace in a diesel train.

Paddington?!?!?

Anna Noyd-Dryver

Old May 9th 21, 11:04 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On 09/05/2021 21:55, Anna Noyd-Dryver wrote:
wrote:
On Sun, 09 May 2021 15:55:04 GMT
Recliner wrote:
wrote:
Express trains on the wycombe line?

Amazingly, your knowledge of geography is even worse than your knowledge of
engineering or railways!

Oh sorry, I forgot, you think its a main line to birmingham. Yes, why would
anyone get a train direct from euston to brum on the WCML when they could
fart around getting there from paddington going via wycombe and bicester
at a leisurely pace in a diesel train.

Paddington?!?!?

Yes, why would anyone get a train direct from Marylebone when they could
fart around at West Ealing waiting for a parliamentary to West Ruislip?

Old May 9th 21, 11:29 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Certes wrote:
On 09/05/2021 21:55, Anna Noyd-Dryver wrote:
wrote:
On Sun, 09 May 2021 15:55:04 GMT
Recliner wrote:
wrote:
Express trains on the wycombe line?

Amazingly, your knowledge of geography is even worse than your knowledge of
engineering or railways!

Oh sorry, I forgot, you think its a main line to birmingham. Yes, why would
anyone get a train direct from euston to brum on the WCML when they could
fart around getting there from paddington going via wycombe and bicester
at a leisurely pace in a diesel train.

Paddington?!?!?

Yes, why would anyone get a train direct from Marylebone when they could
fart around at West Ealing waiting for a parliamentary to West Ruislip?

Aren't those now ECS, not parly? They're not shown on departure board at
West Ealing.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/recliner/50568885808/in/album-72157716758978336/lightbox/

Old May 10th 21, 09:18 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On Sun, 9 May 2021 20:55:54 -0000 (UTC)
Anna Noyd-Dryver wrote:
wrote:
As I posted last time we discussed this topic, several systems worldwide
have platform edge doors (half height and full height) on open platforms.

And I bet those half height doors really work wonders for ventilation, right?

If it's an outdoor station then ventilation clearly isn't the purpose of
the PEDs in that instance *rollseyes*

Oh ok, so there are different reasons for having the doors depending on
whether they're inside or outside and by inference you do apparently think
half height doors make a difference to ventilation. Got it, thanks for clearing
that up.

Old May 10th 21, 09:24 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On Sun, 9 May 2021 23:04:54 +0100
Certes wrote:
On 09/05/2021 21:55, Anna Noyd-Dryver wrote:
wrote:
On Sun, 09 May 2021 15:55:04 GMT
Recliner wrote:
wrote:
Express trains on the wycombe line?

Amazingly, your knowledge of geography is even worse than your knowledge of

engineering or railways!

Oh sorry, I forgot, you think its a main line to birmingham. Yes, why would
anyone get a train direct from euston to brum on the WCML when they could
fart around getting there from paddington going via wycombe and bicester
at a leisurely pace in a diesel train.

Paddington?!?!?

Yes, why would anyone get a train direct from Marylebone when they could
fart around at West Ealing waiting for a parliamentary to West Ruislip?

Oh , Marylebone , even better! A nice leisurely tour going west first!
Didn't know chiltern went to brum but looking at the 1:50 it takes to get
there I'm not surprised they don't bother advertising the service.

Old May 10th 21, 10:23 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

wrote in message
On Sun, 9 May 2021 23:04:54 +0100
Certes wrote:
On 09/05/2021 21:55, Anna Noyd-Dryver wrote:
wrote:
On Sun, 09 May 2021 15:55:04 GMT
Recliner wrote:
wrote:
[...]

But they do

they focus on the much cheaper fares that you can get going that way

And in case you haven't noticed, starting at Padd requires a leisurely tour
going West, and it is a service that used to exist

Old May 10th 21, 10:33 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Anna Noyd-Dryver wrote:
wrote:
As I posted last time we discussed this topic, several systems worldwide
have platform edge doors (half height and full height) on open platforms.

And I bet those half height doors really work wonders for ventilation, right?

If it's an outdoor station then ventilation clearly isn't the purpose of
the PEDs in that instance *rollseyes*

Oh ok, so there are different reasons for having the doors depending on
whether they're inside or outside and by inference you do apparently think
half height doors make a difference to ventilation. Got it, thanks for clearing
that up.

Not at all. Whether an installation of PEDs is for safety, ventilation or
both depends on the individual network and location; clearly half-height
ones have no influence on ventilation and neither do outdoors installations
no matter what height - unless, I suppose, they allow an entirely enclosed
platform area to be airconditioned, whilst the trains are out in the rain
(I think I have experienced this in Taiwan, unfortunately my photographs
and memories aren't specific enough about the aircon-ness of the station
building).

Anna Noyd-Dryver