Old August 16th 04, 06:34 PM posted to uk.local.london,uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Default LU driver's managers told him to stop assisting stab victim

In article ,
"John Rowland" wrote:
"Mike D" wrote in message

Am I right in saying that you could be charged
with manslaughter if you 'Fail to offer reasonalbe
assistance' to someone in need.

No. Under English law, if you found Tony Blair hanging off the edge of a
cliff, you would be under no legal obligation to rescue him. I've checked.

But as we see on the news today Labour ministers do like to help out
rescuing other people in difficulties and it would be very rude not
to return the favour.

--
http://www.election.demon.co.uk
"The guilty party was the Liberal Democrats and they were hardened offenders,

Old August 16th 04, 07:01 PM posted to uk.local.london,uk.railway,uk.transport.london

In article ,
Piccadilly Pilot wrote:
Am I right in saying that you could be charged with manslaughter if
you 'Fail to offer reasonalbe assistance' to someone in need.
Obviously what is reasonable could be open to interpretation, but
perhaps a visit from the local Constabulary to the home of the LU
manager to interview him might shake him up a bit. Also a good case
for naming and shaming I would have thought (again the manager).

On a point of accuracy, a Line Controller is not a manager. The rest of the
comments I totally agree with.

It wouldn't be totally unreasonable for the line controller to ring
up the station supervisor and say something like: "My driver on
your platform 2 is doing a bit of first aid. Could you pop down
and take over so he can drive the train on? I've got trains stalled
all the way back to Arnos Grove! Ta."

This is particularly true if the line controller didn't know how
serious the situation was. Perhaps the driver wasn't answering his
cab radio at the time!

I realize, of course, that my assumption that the Evening Standards
reporting is anything other than fair and accurate is totaly without
foundation.

Cheers,

--
You dont have to be illiterate to use the Internet, but it help's.

Old August 16th 04, 07:03 PM posted to uk.local.london,uk.railway,uk.transport.london

These days if you give first aid I understand that you can be held
liable.....

A plague on the compensation culture.

I did a law unit at college last year and this subject came up with our
lecturer giving the example of a road crash saying that I would be under
no obligation to help the injured person but if I did help them and made
their situation worse i.e paralysed them, then they would be perfectly
entitled to sue me even though I was only genuinely just trying to help.

As pointed out, with us becoming a more US style sue culture, if you do
meet someone dying then you have to consider your own position rather
than just automatically helping them which is a really sad indicator of
today's society.

Stephen
Old August 16th 04, 07:05 PM posted to uk.local.london,uk.railway,uk.transport.london

David Boothroyd ) gurgled happily, sounding
much like they were saying :

But as we see on the news today Labour ministers do like to help out
rescuing other people in difficulties

Yeh, right. Prescott rescued him "with some assistance from his bodyguard".
Want to bet on the exact division of effort?

and it would be very rude not to return the favour.

Do you want to try to carry Prescott to the first aid point?
Old August 16th 04, 07:16 PM posted to uk.local.london,uk.railway,uk.transport.london

In article , Adrian
writes

Yeh, right. Prescott rescued him "with some assistance from his bodyguard".
Want to bet on the exact division of effort?

What incident was this then?
--
Andrew
Electronic communications can be altered and therefore the integrity of this

Old August 16th 04, 07:27 PM posted to uk.local.london,uk.railway,uk.transport.london

In ,
Andrew P Smith typed:
In article , Mike D
writes

Am I right in saying that you could be charged with manslaughter if you
'Fail to offer reasonalbe assistance' to someone in need. Obviously what
is reasonable could be open to interpretation, but perhaps a visit from
the local Constabulary to the home of the LU manager to interview him
might shake him up a bit. Also a good case for naming and shaming I
would have thought (again the manager).

No, failing to offer assistance is not an offence. It will be
interesting to see what happens to both the driver and supervisor.

I have been told that if you run over and injure a cat, you are legally
obliged to render first aid. It seems a little odd that you don't have to
assist a human, but you do an animal.

--
David Jackson in the Roman auxiliary fort of Condate
Now known as Northwich Cheshire

Old August 16th 04, 07:28 PM posted to uk.local.london,uk.railway,uk.transport.london

"Fearty" wrote in message

I did a law unit at college last year and this subject came up with our
lecturer giving the example of a road crash saying that I would be under
no obligation to help the injured person but if I did help them and made
their situation worse i.e paralysed them, then they would be perfectly
entitled to sue me even though I was only genuinely just trying to help.

Yes, that's exactly the same situation as reared its head with regard to
snow clearing, back in the 1970s. If it snows and you leave your front path
untouched and someone falls down they have no claim, if you've cleared it
and they slip over then you're liable. So much for trying to do a good turn!

Old August 16th 04, 08:25 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Mike Bristow" wrote in message

This is particularly true if the line controller didn't know how
serious the situation was. Perhaps the driver wasn't answering his
cab radio at the time!

The driver could hardly answer his cab radio if he was half way back on the
platform - but he had informed the line controller (by telephone, as he
couldn't get through by radio). In any case, if the line controller had been
aware of the seriousness of the situation he wouldn't have been so anxious
to get trains moving. As it was, BTP took over and closed the line from the
time of the incident (around 2315 Thursday) until Friday afternoon. Anyone
know why it took so long - I can't see why the search of the tracks couldn't
have been completed overnight, even if the station had to be closed most of
Friday. I suspect therte were a good few missed flights at Heathrow.

Peter

Old August 16th 04, 08:36 PM posted to uk.local.london,uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Fearty wrote:

I did a law unit at college last year and this subject came up with our
lecturer giving the example of a road crash saying that I would be under
no obligation to help the injured person but if I did help them and made
their situation worse i.e paralysed them, then they would be perfectly
entitled to sue me even though I was only genuinely just trying to help.

FWIW, when I did a 1st aid course last year, I was assured that such
suits would fail as long as you had followed your training.

Doesn't help if you haven't had first aid training and want to help -
so get trained if you can.

Colin McKenzie