Old September 12th 04, 08:50 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Default Blockade of cross London Thameslink services from Saturday 11th September 2004 until 2005

In article ,
John Rowland wrote:
I have been on a 321 which coasted from Harrow and
Wealdstone to near Primrose Hill when the power failed.

Wow. I wonder why he didn't stop at a station - surely this would have
been more useful than leaving you all sitting near Primrose Hill for an
unspecified time.

We didn't stop. By the time we reached Primrose Hill the power had come
back on, and we had lost about 3 minutes.

--
__ __ __ __ __ ___ _____________________________________________
|__||__)/ __/ \|\ ||_ | / Acorn StrongArm Risc_PC
___________________________/

Old September 12th 04, 08:50 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On Sun, 12 Sep 2004 20:50:18 +0100, "John Rowland"
wrote:

Wow. I wonder why he didn't stop at a station - surely this would have been
more useful than leaving you all sitting near Primrose Hill for an
unspecified time.

There are, that I can recall, no stations with platforms on the fasts
between H&W and Euston, so if he wasn't on the slows even Queens Park
wouldn't have been an option. On that basis, I guess making an
attempt on Euston wasn't a bad idea.

Neil

--
Neil Williams in Milton Keynes, UK
To e-mail use neil at the above domain
Old September 12th 04, 09:15 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

In article , Neil Williams
wrote:
Wow. I wonder why he didn't stop at a station - surely this would have
been more useful than leaving you all sitting near Primrose Hill for an
unspecified time.

There are, that I can recall, no stations with platforms on the fasts
between H&W and Euston, so if he wasn't on the slows even Queens Park
wouldn't have been an option. On that basis, I guess making an attempt
on Euston wasn't a bad idea.

There are platforms on the slow lines at Wembley Central and Queens Park,
and on the fast lines at Wembley Central.

We didn't stop anyway.

--
__ __ __ __ __ ___ _____________________________________________
Old September 13th 04, 04:42 PM posted to uk.transport.london

We export high quality used cars and trucks from Germany. All Left hand
drives.

We export BMW, Mercedes, Audi, Porsche, Mitsubishi, Honda, Volvo, Toyota,
Peugeot, Renault, Citroen, Volkswagen, Isuzu, Huyndai etc.

Please call or tell us if you have any questions. If you dont find the product
you need, just contact us so we can find it for you.
Agents wanted.
Please visit our website. www.shopeuro.biz
Old September 13th 04, 06:24 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

"Dave Arquati" wrote in message

Hardly. Regular commuters travelling onwards from St Pancras by tube will
have a Travelcard anyway; people travelling to West Hampstead & Kentish
Town are permitted to travel in to St Pancras and return by a northbound
train during the closure.

How nice for them, and no doubt with no compensation. When Thameslink are
having one of their days just getting into St Pancras can be fun never mind
trying to get out again as well.

This evening the stoppers seem to be starting from Kentish Town, it will be
interesting to see if the tube station does grind to a halt when the reverse
happens during the StP works.

Dave.

Old September 14th 04, 08:13 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Jock Mackirdy wrote in message ...
In article , D7666 wrote:
"Piers Connor" wrote in message

Any bets on how long it will it will be before a Thameslink train is routed
into a non-electrified platform at the new St Pancras?

Why ask such a question ?

Since BedPan / Thameslink electrification WH PSB has sucessfully
managed to run the same railway for 15 years without routing HST to
Moorgate - or 319s to Junction Road Junction or any other
non-electrified diverging route, why would you except this happen now.

Though not long ago a northbound T/L was routed non-electric at Bedford but managed to coast into the
platform.

What are drivers supposed to do in this sort of situation? Are they to stop
immediately so the train doesn't have far to be shunted back onto the
electrified lines or should they coast as far as they can so as not to
block the points and perhaps reach a station to let the passengers off?

B2003
Old September 14th 04, 08:18 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Clive Page wrote in message ...
wide passageways and staircases; West Hampstead LT station is over 100
metres from the Thameslink station, which means that any rush when a
Thameslink train arrives will thin out as people walk along and across
the main road.

Can anyone think of the real reason for this closure?

You seem to be under the misguised impression that train services are run
for the benefit of the passengers. They're not. Passengers are merely an
annoyance that has to be put up with and that stop the smooth running of
the full size trainsets the TOCs and LUL get to play with each day.

Sorry I know I'm being sarcastic but it really does feel like that sometimes
and I sometimes really do wonder if they realise its us the passenger these
services are supposed to be for.

B2003
Old September 14th 04, 10:03 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On 14 Sep 2004 01:18:05 -0700, Boltar wrote in
, seen in uk.railway:

You seem to be under the misguised impression that train services are run
for the benefit of the passengers. They're not. Passengers are merely an
annoyance that has to be put up with and that stop the smooth running of
the full size trainsets the TOCs and LUL get to play with each day.

First bit right, last sentence utterly and totally barking up the
wrong tree.

Sorry I know I'm being sarcastic but it really does feel like that sometimes
and I sometimes really do wonder if they realise its us the passenger these
services are supposed to be for.

No they ain't. Nor are they for the staff, or the companies. They're
run so the politicians can say "Look at all the good things we're
doing for you. We provide train services in areas which really don't
justify them (or) We've spent x billion [of taxpayers money, but they
forget to mention that] on improving services for railway passengers
(or)...." Well, make up your own!

Or, if you're really cynical, they still run because the politicians
aren't willing to take the hit from the electorate if they closed down
even the smallest part of the railway.

--
Ross

From & reply-to addresses will bounce. Reply to the group.
Old September 15th 04, 10:14 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Fri, 10 Sep 2004 20:55:59 +0100, Dave Arquati wrote:

Peter Lawrence wrote:
On Thu, 9 Sep 2004 22:46:46 +0100, Clive Page
wrote:

In article ,
eurostardriver writes

Kentish Town or West Hampstead provide useful interchanges onto LUL,
but some clever person has decided Thameslink services will not call
at these stations between 07.30 and 09.30 to prevent overcrowding.
Doesn't make much sense to me as this means all passengers will be
forced into the Kings Cross/St Pancras area making the overcrowding
there 3 times worse.

I quite agree: it seems quite crazy.......

Can anyone think of the real reason for this closure?

I'm not sure on the details but I think some combination of the
following might apply :-

a) increased congestion at the interchange locations and on the Jubilee
and Northern lines.
b) West Hampstead LU station is being modernised at present so
overloading an already small station which has works going on is perhaps
not the best idea.
c) a possible concern about track capacity if Thameslink trains have to
stop for much longer than normal while people change lines - St Pancras
should be better able to cope as it's the terminal.
d) as said by someone else - KX / SP has more lines to distribute the
traffic plus there is the link to the southern section of the line.

It was an LU ploy to get a larger proportion of the fares??

Hardly. Regular commuters travelling onwards from St Pancras by tube
will have a Travelcard anyway; people travelling to West Hampstead &
Kentish Town are permitted to travel in to St Pancras and return by a
northbound train during the closure.

Irregular users travelling between Thameslink and LU stations would have
to pay a higher proportion of their fare to LU by using West Hampstead
or Kentish Town as these are both in Zone 2.

No they wouldn't as single fares are interavailable south of West
Hampstead to Moorgate / London Bridge and Elephant so it's all taken
into account in the calculation of the current fares.

Travelcard revenues will come out of the revenue pool and I doubt there
will be any short term adjustment. Not sure what would happen with
Thameslink only season tickets - I don't know if they have any inter
availability or not.
--
Paul C

Old September 15th 04, 12:02 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Clive Page wrote in message ...
In article , D7666
writes
Why ask such a question ?

Since BedPan / Thameslink electrification WH PSB has sucessfully
managed to run the same railway for 15 years without routing HST to
Moorgate - or 319s to Junction Road Junction or any other
non-electrified diverging route, why would you except this happen now.

The sort of comment you have made is what leads to uninformed nonsense
appearing on the media after an accident.

But about a year ago one of the WH signallers did manage to route a
Thameslink train across a non-electrified cross-over near Flitwick. As
a result services were badly disrupted for around 24 hours, and I got
home a couple of hours late.

I remember that day well. My 2-car 158 from Leicester to Birmingham
was absolutely crush loaded.

North London Line blockade Peter Lawrence[_2_] London Transport 41 August 23rd 08 02:00 PM
HEATHROW AIRPORT - PUBLIC TRANSPORT SERVICES - 2005/2006 Richard J. London Transport 0 December 20th 05 08:01 PM
Old cars or bikes wtd for Primrose Hill Summer Festival, Saturday 25th June 2005 [email protected] London Transport 1 April 26th 05 02:53 PM
'Structrual damage' at Baker Street AM Friday 11th Feb Martin J London Transport 4 February 14th 05 06:10 PM
Open House Weekend 18th and 19th September 2004 John Rowland London Transport 9 August 30th 04 08:16 PM