Old October 12th 04, 09:12 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Dumb traffic lights

Annabel Smyth wrote:

thoss wrote to uk.transport.london on Mon, 11 Oct 2004:

In article , Boltar
writes

Who are the idiots who program traffic lights these days? I tend to
drive quite a lot late at nights when the traffic is quiet and the
amount of times I'm stuck behind a red light for 2 minutes when there is
zero traffic coming in from the other direction (and there was no
traffic even before the light went red). Not only does this waste fuel,
cause extra pollution and waste peoples time but its VERY irritating. A
good example is the lights on Purley Way in Croydon where the A23 runs
through a deserted (at night) retail area and there are about 5 sets of
braindead lights showing green to the feeder roads of large closed
stores. But they're everywhere it seems in London. Is this done on
purpose just to slow traffic

Yes. That's Ken Livingstone's policy.

The maddening thing is it seems to be just South of the River.

I think this is supermarket queue observation: the other oqueues always
move faster than the one you are in.

All the examples I gave in an earlier rant ...err, post are North of the
river. When driving from East London to West Kensington I choose a
South-of-the-river route, and it is mostly fine.
Last
night, unusually, we had occasion to drive out of London to the M4 and
beyond. The major hold-ups were at the lights South of the River - once
we crossed Chelsea Bridge our journey (via South Kensington, reaching
the A4 at Gloucester Road) was very quick indeed, and we arrived at our
destination a good 30 minutes earlier than we thought.

What does Ken Livingstone have against South Londoners?

--
Nick H (UK)

Old October 13th 04, 08:11 AM posted to uk.transport.london

"Solar Penguin" wrote in message ...
--- Annabel Smyth said:

Boltar wrote to uk.transport.london on Tue, 12 Oct 2004:

Don't feed the troll.

Thats a easy way of getting out of having to counter my arguments
against your post isn't it.

B2003
Old October 13th 04, 08:16 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Annabel Smyth wrote in message ...
So we might not know what it is like to drive, but we do know, and how,
the state of mind of a driver stuck behind a red light that has been on
red for about 3 minutes, then changes to green for about 5 seconds.....

Quite. So you can understand how irritating it is when some muppet comes
along and talks about the lights being on red for even longer. Some people
seem to forget that the roads are for transport, they always have been.
Before cars it was horses and carts and there was probably some non horse
riding peasent muttering about how he wished the horses would all be put
down so he could happily stroll down the road himself and not get trampled.

B2003
Old October 13th 04, 08:50 AM posted to uk.transport.london

"Henry" wrote

On the other side of the coin, a bit further south, the lights on the
southbound A23 at Chipstead Valley Road in Coulsdon only stay red for

about
1 second late in the evening (and have for years). Hardly gives any time
for anything to turn out safely!

If they change to amber as you pass Waitrose, you can be pretty sure they
will be back to green by the time you get there (though better not to rely
on it!).

Rechecked that one at 2300 last night. It did change to amber when by
Waitrose and I never had to slow down doing 30.

Old October 13th 04, 09:18 AM posted to uk.transport.london

"Annabel Smyth" wrote in message

Don't forget, many of us non-drivers have to be
passengers, and put up with our spouse's increasing
paranoia. Me, I'm in no hurry, but get stopped for
more than about 10 seconds, the fingers start tapping
on the steering-wheel, he starts wondering whether to
change lane.... starts muttering under his breath....
sounds familiar?

It sounds like the passenger isn't doing her job... ;-)

--
John Rowland - Spamtrapped

Old October 13th 04, 11:37 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Nick H (UK) wrote to uk.transport.london on Tue, 12 Oct 2004:

Annabel Smyth wrote:

The maddening thing is it seems to be just South of the River.

I think this is supermarket queue observation: the other oqueues always
move faster than the one you are in.

Possible, possible - and so does the lane of traffic you're in.....

All the examples I gave in an earlier rant ...err, post are North of the
river. When driving from East London to West Kensington I choose a
South-of-the-river route, and it is mostly fine.

Perhaps you don't have to drive round Clapham Common! Sigh....
--
"Mrs Redboots"
http://www.amsmyth.demon.co.uk/

Old October 13th 04, 05:21 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Annabel Smyth" wrote in message
Don't forget, many of us non-drivers have to be passengers, and put
up with our spouse's increasing paranoia. Me, I'm in no hurry,
but get stopped for more than about 10 seconds, the fingers start
tapping on the steering-wheel, he starts wondering whether to
change lane.... starts muttering under his breath.... sounds
familiar?
So we might not know what it is like to drive, but we do know,
and how, the state of mind of a driver

[Snip].

You forgot one critical word in your description. The behaviour you describe
is that of a *bad* driver. Sadly there are plenty of them about, but some
people do have the attitude and confidence to be able to control their
vehicles properly.

Old October 13th 04, 05:28 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Boltar" wrote in message
om...

Annabel Smyth wrote in message

So we might not know what it is like to drive, but we do know,
and how, the state of mind of a driver stuck behind a red light
that has been on red for about 3 minutes, then changes to green
for about 5 seconds.....

Quite. So you can understand how irritating it is when some muppet
comes along and talks about the lights being on red for even longer.

Obviously there's no place for lights being held at red for no reason, there
*are* legitimate reasons for increased red phases at junctions. And I fail
to see why the incompetence which Annabel describes is justification for
your sweeping statement.

Some people seem to forget that the roads are for transport, they
always have been. Before cars it was horses and carts and there was
probably some non horse riding peasent muttering about how he wished
the horses would all be put down so he could happily stroll down the
road himself and not get trampled.

Yes, and some people seem to forget that Britain is for living in. Roads and
transport are just one part of this activity.

Old October 13th 04, 05:36 PM posted to uk.transport.london

David Splett wrote to uk.transport.london on Wed, 13 Oct 2004:

"Annabel Smyth" wrote in message
Don't forget, many of us non-drivers have to be passengers, and put
up with our spouse's increasing paranoia. Me, I'm in no hurry,
but get stopped for more than about 10 seconds, the fingers start
tapping on the steering-wheel, he starts wondering whether to
change lane.... starts muttering under his breath.... sounds
familiar?
So we might not know what it is like to drive, but we do know,
and how, the state of mind of a driver

[Snip].

You forgot one critical word in your description. The behaviour you describe
is that of a *bad* driver. Sadly there are plenty of them about, but some
people do have the attitude and confidence to be able to control their
vehicles properly.

Ah, but even if I thought so, I wouldn't *say* so about my old man now,
would I????

Old October 13th 04, 06:47 PM posted to uk.transport.london

--- I know I shouldn't feed him, but apparently Boltar, ukl's resident
troll, said:

So you can understand how irritating it is when some muppet
comes along and talks about the lights being on red for even longer.

Ok, you try crossing Westow Hill at that junction and then tell me the
lights there are on red for long enough! Go on, try it. It's an
accident waiting to happen. (And I'd love to see it happen to you!)

Seriously, someone needs to do something about it. I've switched from
shopping at Safeway to Iceland just so I don't have to cross that road
anymore, even though Iceland is a crap supermarket.

Some people seem to forget that the roads are for transport, they
always have been.

And walking *isn't* a form of transport??? Or do only cars count as
transport in your little world?