Old May 26th 05, 08:39 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Flying terminus was Connectivity

In article , I wrote:
Is that right? If so, what's a slip?

A connection from top-left to top-right (or bottom-left to
bottom-right) of a diamond, with one rail of the connection going
within the diamond. A double-slip involves both.

Once Fotopic stops acting strangely,
http://davros.fotopic.net/p14923871.html
should allow you to see a double-slip (one with a switch diamond).

--
Clive D.W. Feather | Home:
Fax: +44 870 051 9937 | Work:

Old May 26th 05, 08:42 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Connectivity

In article , Tom
Anderson writes
Are the through platforms at Aldgate long enough to support Met
trains? Otherwise I'm inclined to agree with this.

I haven't been there in ages, but from my memory of looking at a track
map, i think the platforms are islands, with the through faces a few
feet away from the terminal ones,

Correct.

and presumably the same length, BICBW.

Not quite. It's only a matter of inches, but the curvature means that
the Inner Rail platform is the shortest, while the Outer Rail one is
limited by the safety margins for the diamond crossings (W/B H&C and E/B
District) at each end.

--
Clive D.W. Feather | Home:
Fax: +44 870 051 9937 | Work:
Old May 26th 05, 09:41 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Tom Anderson wrote:

Maybe, but the service on the H&C is frankly poor. Many times when I've
had to travel Euston Square to Stepney Green I've found it impossible to
catch a through service and instead wind up having to change two or three
times using the Circle/Met (sometimes both if one stops at Moorgate), H&C
and District.

That's true - a friend of mine used to live in Stepney Green, and visiting
her after work, which in my case is near Euston Square, was no fun. Having
the off-peak H&C end at Whitechapel doesn't help with this, either.

It now nominally runs past there at off peak, but the through service is
quite difficult to find.

This is not a reason to further impede interchange, though, it's a reason
to improve the service - ramping up the H&C frequency, or swapping the
eastern ends of the H&C and Metropolitan lines, would be a start. The
tangele of flat junctions round there doesn't help, of course; maybe we
should grade them all while we've got the spades out .

Does the Aldgate - Barking section of the District have the capacity for
this? I always get the impression that the Circle and attached lines just
simply doesn't work as a decent service because of all the traffic and
destinations.

Old May 26th 05, 12:26 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Transport games (was Flying terminus was Connectivity)

Tom Anderson wrote:
On Tue, 24 May 2005, Dave Arquati wrote:

Tom Anderson wrote:

On Tue, 24 May 2005, Clive D. W. Feather wrote:

Probably not the most sensible use of railway space, either way!

I take it you've never played Transport Tycoon.

Could never get it recognise my sound card .

You've just described a Ro-Ro station.

http://www.transporttycoon.co.uk/rail2

Curses!

I love the idea of using TT as a sort of eye-candified SIMSIG or
something. It does buses too, so one could try using it to model bits of
London. I understand Ken is a SimCity fan (or at least was during the
interregnum), so he might be open to using it as a strategic planning tool.

You might consider doing your master's project on a TT model of London.
You'd be unlikely to graduate, but you'd probably make Slashdot.

LOL, I'm not so sure... those buses in TT never go down the streets you
want them to, and have a habit of getting stuck on level crossings and
getting hit by trains. And the trains can be a bit dodgy too - after
all, they can go around right-angled corners! Oh, and the key issue -
passengers wait at a station but they don't mind where you take them to;
they all get on the first train! Apart from that, it's a brilliantly
addictive game.

--
Dave Arquati
Imperial College, SW7
Old May 26th 05, 03:15 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Tom Anderson wrote:

Probably not the most sensible use of railway space, either way!

I take it you've never played Transport Tycoon. You've just described
a Ro-Ro station.

http://www.transporttycoon.co.uk/rail2

I love the idea of using TT as a sort of eye-candified SIMSIG or
something. It does buses too, so one could try using it to model bits
of London. I understand Ken is a SimCity fan (or at least was during
the interregnum), so he might be open to using it as a strategic
planning tool.

You might consider doing your master's project on a TT model of London.
You'd be unlikely to graduate, but you'd probably make Slashdot.

LOL, I'm not so sure... those buses in TT never go down the streets you
want them to,

And this is different to London how?

and have a habit of getting stuck on level crossings and getting hit by
trains.

Ah, that is different to London - we don't have many level crossings, so
the buses have to hit bridges instead.

And the trains can be a bit dodgy too - after all, they can go around
right-angled corners!

Hey, you're the DLR fanboy here - those little buggers routinely do
manoeuvres that would make the trains at Alton Towers look like
supertankers!

Oh, and the key issue - passengers wait at a station but they don't mind
where you take them to; they all get on the first train!

I am beginning to think you have never actually used the circle line.

Apart from that, it's a brilliantly addictive game.

Well, people do find it hard to give up using the tube.

The crucial question, though, is does Ken know the cheat code to instantly
upgrade all lines to monorails?

tom

--
Punk's not sexual, it's just aggression.

Old May 26th 05, 08:08 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Clive Feather:
Once Fotopic stops acting strangely,
http://davros.fotopic.net/p14923871.html
should allow you to see a double-slip (one with a switch diamond).

Which is to say, an even more expensive construction than the usual
double slip. Note the points where the straight rails cross. That --
which can also be done for an ordinary diamond -- is something usually
done only where the angle between the two tracks is unusually shallow,
as at a high-speed junction or where the tracks are also sharply curving.

This location is just outside King's Cross, and I don't know why it was
done there.
--
Mark Brader "...out of the dark coffee-stained mugs of
Toronto insane programmers throughout the world..."

Old May 27th 05, 12:05 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Clive D. W. Feather wrote:

Absent the *extremely* rare reversal at King's Cross or Farringdon,
*ALL* eastbound H&C trains call at both Euston Square and Aldgate East
and are not overtaken by Circle or Met. trains en route. So you can
*never* save time by doing what you say you do; you simply wait at a
different place.

True, but when the H&C line trains are often not even displayed, and
even then often the Whitechapel only service is available, so getting
closer to Liverpool Street is a natural move - and sometimes I have,
depending on which trains are available, gone to Aldgate and legged it
to Aldgate East to get the District or changed at Tower Hill for the
same effect.

Yes, an Aldgate interchange would allow you to take a Circle/Met. to
Aldgate and then walk through long enough passages to miss the following
H&C train, but I'm not sure that there's a great public benefit there.

If the train were following closely enough then I reckon it would show
up on the indicators. Otherwise I could get the more frequent through
District service.

Whilst not the greatest public benefit, a single combined Aldgate
station could work better than the current one.

Old May 27th 05, 07:08 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Thu, 26 May 2005 15:15:49 +0100, Tom Anderson wrote:

The crucial question, though, is does Ken know the cheat code to instantly
upgrade all lines to monorails?

I suppose if the Underground were to be converted to monorail, it would
still have a second rail, and probably a third, though.
--
http://gallery120232.fotopic.net/ps12686823.html
(British Metro, Light and Miniature Rail and Trams)
Old May 27th 05, 02:12 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message .com,
TheOneKEA writes

It can have as many as you want. Heathrow T123 has 2.

And the Next Train Out doohickey doesn't work right either...

Actually it does - as soon as a train gets the signal to leave, the
other train (assuming there is one in the platform) becomes the 'next
train' and indicates as such, as the driver of that first train should
now be closing the doors and be on his/her way, and all passengers
arriving on the platform should be directed to the other train to allow
this to happen. The fact that some drivers sit about for 2 minutes or
so doesn't change the fact that they should not now be there and the
other train is the 'next train out'