Old July 2nd 05, 01:32 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Buggies are wheelchairs!

"Mrs Redboots" wrote in message

Yes, but had she had to fold the buggy, she would have had to stand with
the child in her arms. I wonder whether you would have still been
reluctant to give up your seat for her?

I give enough towards supporting her and her type without giving up a seat
as well.

Ian

Old July 2nd 05, 04:56 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , Mrs Redboots
writes
Which implies that your sole experience with buggy-wielding mothers is
that of "17 year-old chav slappers", a phrase to which I have several
times objected.

Ms Smyth, I took exception to you attributing something to me which I
didn't say, you saw it beneath yourself elevated self to apologise, why
should anyone now have any consideration for what you think when you
care not at all for others?
--
Clive
Old July 3rd 05, 12:10 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Tell it like it is Ian...U The MAAAN...!
I personally feel that the term "17 Year Old Chav Slapper" has a certain
cachet .......a rough earthy reasonance with almost imperceptible hints of
exotic substances coupled with the essential level of professional social
ignorance which endears the 17 YOCS to Social Science graduates the world
over.
This endearment coupled with it`s associated financial and material
assistance is at least providing the 17YOCS with the ability to graduate to
18,19,20 and onwards until Maturity.
The entire thrust of the "Support Structures" put in place by official
bodies such as the DSS and others is to defer the onset of the
"Responsibilty Threshold" which tends,in modern society,to arrive only with
the onset of old age or infirmity if at all.
The great thing about being a Busdriver and to some extent a Passenger is
how one gets to observe at very close range just how totally self-orientated
and confident the 17 YOCS already is.
This self- confidence and orientation is often visible in those at the
opposite end of the social spectrum also,such likes as Sir John Harvey
Jones,Richard Branson,NIgella Lawson or Lady Thatcher.
Its a fascinating experience to watch...although the proud young 17 YOCS
should really carry a safety warning embossed upon their personages to the
effect of "Gets Mean When Challenged".
Back to Ian in the studio........!

Old July 3rd 05, 01:16 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Clive wrote to uk.transport.london on Sat, 2 Jul 2005:

In message , Mrs Redboots
writes
Which implies that your sole experience with buggy-wielding mothers
is that of "17 year-old chav slappers", a phrase to which I have several
times objected.

Ms Smyth, I took exception to you attributing something to me which I
didn't say, you saw it beneath yourself elevated self to apologise, why
should anyone now have any consideration for what you think when you
care not at all for others?

Excuse me, but I think you'll find I acknowledged that you didn't use
those exact words..... the sentiment, however, is as close as makes no
never mind!
--
"Mrs Redboots"
http://www.amsmyth.demon.co.uk/

Old July 3rd 05, 03:45 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , Mrs Redboots
writes

Feel free to point out where I pre-judge?

I knew the man was middle-class because "I could hear his accent".

The fact remains that in this country, you can usually tell someone's
social status by their accent -

Just as you can tell the criminals because they wear ear-rings and call
you "mate"?

Personally, I prefer not to make assumptions and instant judgements
about people in this kind of way. But we are going round in circles and
this is off-topic, so I'll say no more on the matter.
--
Paul Terry

Old July 3rd 05, 10:27 PM posted to uk.transport.london

[Colin Rosenstiel]
Why not? I haven't lost my sense of courtesy by being 55.

[Ian F.]
If you'd seen her, you'd know what I meant, Colin!

"Are you thinking what we're thinking?"
--
Michael Hoffman
Old July 4th 05, 11:17 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Paul Terry wrote to uk.transport.london on Sun, 3 Jul 2005:

In message , Mrs
Redboots writes

Feel free to point out where I pre-judge?

I knew the man was middle-class because "I could hear his accent".

The fact remains that in this country, you can usually tell someone's
social status by their accent -

Just as you can tell the criminals because they wear ear-rings and call
you "mate"?

What the smeg are you talking about?

Personally, I prefer not to make assumptions and instant judgements
about people in this kind of way. But we are going round in circles and
this is off-topic, so I'll say no more on the matter.

Just as well, since you're being totally incomprehensible!

--
"Mrs Redboots"
http://www.amsmyth.demon.co.uk/

Old July 4th 05, 01:25 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , Mrs Redboots
writes
Just as well, since you're being totally incomprehensible!

And you are just marrow minded and biased.
--
Clive
Old July 4th 05, 02:20 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Clive wrote to uk.transport.london on Mon, 4 Jul 2005:

In message , Mrs
Redboots writes
Just as well, since you're being totally incomprehensible!

And you are just marrow minded and biased.

I would love to know why you say that. You seem to be making the most
extraordinary leap in logic, which bears no basis whatsoever in reality.
Why does knowing, or even suspecting, what class a person is imply
narrow-mindedness (or even "marrow-mindedness", to use your delightful
misprint!)? Nothing to do with making any kind of value judgment about
that person, merely an observation, as one might observe whether they
are male or female, the colour of their skin, or whether they are
wearing a skirt, jeans or a business suit.

It was not I who referred to young mothers on buses as "chav slappers",
yet I notice you don't accuse the person who *did* of bias and
narrowness of mind.
--
"Mrs Redboots"
http://www.amsmyth.demon.co.uk/

Old July 4th 05, 05:44 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , Mrs Redboots
writes
It was not I who referred to young mothers on buses as "chav slappers",
yet I notice you don't accuse the person who *did* of bias and
narrowness of mind.

Maybe it's because I based my ideas from one of experience as a bus
driver, whereas you have made a decision just based on an accent.
Violence in the home goes on at all levels of society, although I
suspect you to say "not in middle class families though, they are far to
polite for that sort of thing".
--
Clive